AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
I worry about Kansas City…
Posted by: wave rider
Date: January 28, 2020 11:14PM
…And not just the Chiefs.

[amp.kansascity.com]

Kansas City Star
A Kansas City area radio station can broadcast Russian state-owned media programming, the type that U.S. intelligence called a “propaganda machine,” for six hours a day through a lease agreement struck by a local radio operator.

RM Broadcasting LLC, a Florida-based company that has agreements to broadcast the Russian state media program Radio Sputnik, reached a deal on Jan. 1 to lease air time through Alpine Broadcasting Corp. in Liberty. Alpine Broadcasting Corp. broadcasts on three frequencies in the Kansas City area: KCXL 1140 AM, 102.9 FM and 104.7 FM.

The lease agreement lets RM Broadcasting air its programming from 6 to 9 a.m. and 6 to 9 p.m. seven days a week. KCXL’s website, which says that it’s the radio station that will “tell you the things that the liberal media wont (sic) tell you,” lists Radio Sputnik in its morning programming.

I find this worrying. Along with some U.S. senators parroting Russian propaganda line and letter…

=wr=
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: I worry about Kansas City…
Posted by: RgrF
Date: January 29, 2020 12:56AM
Many cable TV outlets throughout the country have been airing RT (Russia Today) for at least a decade. Over that time they've disguised their government links and given time slots personalities like Larry King.
Posted by: Sam3
Date: January 29, 2020 06:43AM
Is this any different than Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty being aired in Europe and other countries?
Posted by: deckeda
Date: January 29, 2020 07:37AM
The intended audience won’t be curious as to why a foreign-owned radio service is “informing” U.S. citizens about American politics. The elevator never reaches the top floor with these people. “But they say some good things, so I listen” is the rationale.
Posted by: Ted King
Date: January 29, 2020 08:04AM
An enemy of my enemy is my friend.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 29, 2020 10:33AM
....I got to Kansas City on a Frid'y
By Sattidy I larned a thing or two
For up to then I didn't have an idy
Of whut the modren world was comin' to!............

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Ammo
Date: January 29, 2020 05:11PM
Sam3
Is this any different than Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty being aired in Europe and other countries?

Yes. In case you haven’t noticed, Russia spends a lot of time and money destabilizing other countries with distortions, falsified media and deliberate lies. It’s a false equivalency to compare Russian media with western media.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass
Posted by: Sam3
Date: January 30, 2020 03:36AM
Ammo
Sam3

Yes. In case you haven’t noticed, Russia spends a lot of time and money destabilizing other countries with distortions, falsified media and deliberate lies. It’s a false equivalency to compare Russian media with western media.

But is it a false equivalency? RFE/RL was created as a US propaganda machine to counter Soviet propaganda.
Wikipedia
RFE was founded as an anti-communist propaganda source in 1949 by the National Committee for a Free Europe.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: January 30, 2020 06:52AM
The difference is a functional one today. Russia is directly implicated in interfering in our most recent presidential election, and has continued to do so by proffering the conspiracy theory that no, it was Ukraine who did that. Our president has been using that lie as an excuse to go against official U.S. foreign policy by keeping Ukraine at arms’ length, instead of smoothly sending them arms as Congress mandated.

For any citizen to now be hearing “directly from the source” at their kitchen table is completing the circle of toxic injection.

RFE did indeed begin as a tool to reach citizens across the globe in their own kitchens as well. But I don’t equate the broader goals of advancing a particular “way of life” (style of government) with the far more pointed goals people like Putin and Trump pursue: personal gain above whatever they publicly claim.

We literally just heard one of Trump’s lawyers advance the idea yesterday that a president can do no wrong so long as he feels it’s what’s right for America. It’s so beyond the pale of believability that even Republicans can’t yet sign on to that. It’s the normalization of personal grift and demagoguery. That’s what Russian radio is, with a big fat Official seal on it.

And it look at Putin’s approval ratings in Russia. They’re great.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 265
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018