advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Does the Coronavirus coverage seem weird to you?
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: February 07, 2020 12:34PM
(I figure it's more appropriate to post on this side.)

As I read the coverage about the Coronavirus, it's strike me as being all over the place. Is it tabloid sensationalism? Is it hard statistics? Actual medical facts?

For instance, if a cruise ship gets quarantined, is the coverage "plague ship" or is it a realistic look at what happens when extreme countermeasures are applied to a spreading dangerous virus?

Is the isolation of an area of 60 million in China an effective measure, or something out of World War Z?

Are the tallies of actual infected people in countries outside of China useful reporting or hitting the panic button?

I write this because I find it hard to judge and the ambiguity does not spur me to any useful action.

What IS useful news is the disruption in manufacturing and supply chains, which are pressuring the world economy and confusing the stock market.

---
And let's not even talk about the millions of comments on the devices and internet. That's just cascading ignorance. ('Bioweapon, or merely a bad cold?' You must be kidding.)

You read this stuff and see the TV coverage. What's your take?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2020 12:34PM by Steve G..
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Does the Coronavirus coverage seem weird to you?
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: February 07, 2020 02:00PM
Science reporting is hard. Science reporting in the midst of public panic and conspiracy-theorizing is near impossible.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: February 07, 2020 02:12PM
I dunno but I'm seeing lots and lots of folks, mostly all Asian, wearing masks in public places. So, that reporting is having some effect.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: February 07, 2020 02:13PM
I get the impression that sites are struggling with how to portray this amongst/against other world events.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Date: February 07, 2020 02:26PM
mrbigstuff
I dunno but I'm seeing lots and lots of folks, mostly all Asian, wearing masks in public places. So, that reporting is having some effect.

The masks you're generally seeing are decent at preventing an infected person from spraying virus everywhere, but they are essentially useless for protecting the wearer from airborne virus.

rj
AKA
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: February 07, 2020 02:57PM
The wearing of masks is almost a cultural thing. It is extremely common to see throughout out Asia even when there is no outbreak.

My belief based upon similar stories in the past is that there is truth in the reporting but it is laser-focused down to where there are problems. In other words, there is news when someone catches the virus, but not when someone is well (ie man bites dog vs dog bites man). However, the very fact that China has quarantined a city larger than NYC, London, and Paris combined is definitely news. The same with the cruise ships - it is out of the ordinary and that makes it newsworthy.

So everything that is getting reported is newsworthy and should be reported, but it does unintentionally give a distorted view of the forest.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Date: February 07, 2020 03:04PM
We're also just terrible (in the West generally but in the U.S. especially) at not knowing things that aren't yet knowable - it's a mental nightmare for many Americans, because we are so conditioned to make correct decisions constantly.

The truth is, we just don't know how bad the novel coronavirus will be. The outbreak is a living phenomenon, and the virus that mutated to become infectious to people will continue to mutate. It could become incredibly infectious but only mildly pathogenic for most. It could become virulently deadly in some areas, or to certain populations, but leave most people relatively unharmed. We don't know - epidemiology is a slow, data-dependent science.

The best we can do right now is good isolation and contact tracing practices, combined with research on vaccines and treatments.

rj
AKA
Posted by: testcase
Date: February 07, 2020 07:16PM
The doctor that discovered the Corona Virus supposedly died from the virus. I'm wondering if said doctor was actually murdered for making the world aware of the Corona Virus? Totally plausible IF the virus did NOT mutate "naturally" and instead, was weaponized in a lab with the Chinese government expecting to use it as a bio weapon. dunno smiley
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: February 07, 2020 07:32PM
testcase
The doctor that discovered the Corona Virus supposedly died from the virus. I'm wondering if said doctor was actually murdered for making the world aware of the Corona Virus? Totally plausible IF the virus did NOT mutate "naturally" and instead, was weaponized in a lab with the Chinese government expecting to use it as a bio weapon. dunno smiley

and even the tinniest bit of evidence for this? To me, your speculation seems baseless.
This belongs with 'AIDS bioengineered to kill black people'.
Posted by: davester
Date: February 07, 2020 09:28PM
testcase

Oh boy! Let's start a new conspiracy theory! Are you a Fox News personality?

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: sekker
Date: February 07, 2020 10:14PM
The potential real threat of a pandemic is under covered.

The actual acute threat of this new virus is over covered, especially in developed countries.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: February 08, 2020 01:27AM
sekker

The actual acute threat of this new virus is over covered, especially in developed countries.

Could you elaborate on that statement?
Posted by: sekker
Date: February 08, 2020 10:10PM
mrbigstuff
sekker

Could you elaborate on that statement?

My understanding is that the models of the likelihood of a pandemic, even when properly fought, is LIKELY unless we take the risk seriously and invest in antiviral drugs at sufficient inventory to handle what we are experiencing now. But not a single country has done so.

Acute overcovered given the 10s of thousands who die EVERY YEAR from the flu.
Posted by: Wags
Date: February 09, 2020 05:09PM
Here's some reputable info [www.sciencenews.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 119
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018