advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Jeff Sessions Was ‘Trump Before Trump.’ Will Alabama Voters Remember?
Posted by: hal
Date: February 08, 2020 03:40PM
great piece: [www.nytimes.com]

It was another era, in another Republican Party. Jeff Sessions was a backbench senator from Alabama who defied the Republican president and doomed a bipartisan immigration bill with claims it would let terrorists and child molesters pour across the border.

Donald J. Trump was working on the seventh season of his reality TV show “The Apprentice” and was still registered in New York State as a Democrat.

Thirteen years later, after serving a brief and tormented tenure as President Trump’s attorney general, Mr. Sessions wants his old job in the Senate back.

But he is vexed by a bitter irony as he competes against several other Republicans in a March 3 primary. The Jeff Sessions of the past, who became a beloved figure on the right and helped fuel a populist brush fire that challenged Republicans over the very issues that are now at the heart of Mr. Trump’s nationalist agenda, is a distant memory for many Alabama voters.

Ask Republicans today what they think of Mr. Sessions, who represented Alabama in the Senate for 20 years, and many of the same belittling adjectives that Mr. Trump has hurled at his former attorney general come spilling out.

“He was weak,” said Stasia Madej, the owner of a women’s clothing boutique in Huntsville. She was in between bites of her barbecue dinner on a recent weeknight at a Republican candidates’ forum where four of Mr. Sessions’s opponents were speaking.

“I was hoping he’d be here tonight so we could hear answers to all of the questions we want to ask. I have doubts since he recused himself,” added Ms. Madej, who declared, “I love Trump,” as she started in on Mr. Sessions.

I'm sure no one remembers that Trump was a joke until Sessions backed him - without Sessions support, there would be no Pres Trump
Options:  Reply • Quote
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 267
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018