advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Bloomberg’s mea culpa. Does it move the needle for you?
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: February 12, 2020 07:35PM
Here’s the link, for those who want to verify, but for those who may not be able to access from work, etc. I’m posting it here in it’s entirety.

Bloomberg has made some very ‘problematic’, to say the least, statements in the not that distant past; on race and other issues. I’ve included samples related to minorities below his statement, since that’s the area that’s touched there.

Do you find Bloomberg convincing? Does his record go far enough to balancing the scales? I’ve yet to decide, but after reading his full statement he’s no longer dead to me, if just barely.

February 11, 2020

“President Trump’s deleted tweet is the latest example of his endless efforts to divide Americans. I inherited the police practice of stop-and-frisk, and as part of our effort to stop gun violence it was overused. By the time I left office, I cut it back by 95%, but I should’ve done it faster and sooner. I regret that and I have apologized — and I have taken responsibility for taking too long to understand the impact it had on Black and Latino communities.

“But this issue and my comments about it do not reflect my commitment to criminal justice reform and racial equity. I believe we need to end mass incarceration and during my tenure we reduced incarceration by 40% and juvenile confinement by more than 60%. We created the Young Men’s Initiative to help young men of color stay on track for success, which President Obama built on to create My Brother’s Keeper. And we overhauled a school system that had been neglecting and underfunding schools in Black and Latino communities for too long.

“In contrast, President Trump inherited a country marching towards greater equality and divided us with racist appeals and hateful rhetoric. The challenge of the moment is clear: we must confront this President and do everything we can to defeat him. The President’s attack on me clearly reflects his fear over the growing strength of my campaign. Make no mistake Mr. President: I am not afraid of you and I will not let you bully me or anyone else in America. Between now and November, I will do everything I can to defeat you whether I am on the ballot or not.”

Bloomberg circa somewhere around 2013, on the stop and frisk policy. Source
”I think we disproportionately stop whites too much and minorities too little. It’s exactly the reverse of what they’re saying. I don’t know where they went to school but they certainly didn’t take a math course or a logic course.”

More.
Ninety-five percent of your murders — murderers and murder victims — fit one M.O. You can just take the description, Xerox it and pass it out to all the cops. They are male, minorities, 16 to 25. That’s true in New York, it’s true in virtually every city...”
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Bloomberg’s mea culpa. Does it move the needle for you?
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: February 12, 2020 07:49PM
I would defer any opinion on Michael Bloomberg and race to a person of color.

I know him as a champion of gun responsibility, his vision and money have transformed the country on that issue.

I can't fully know his motivations in running for president but my hope is that he is not on the ballot but uses his wealth and influence to defeat Donald Trump. If he's on the ballot v. Trump, I'll vote for him.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: February 12, 2020 08:15PM
[www.theroot.com]

Posted by: Wags
Date: February 12, 2020 08:28PM
I will vote blue no matter who
Posted by: mattkime
Date: February 12, 2020 08:48PM
Sarcany
[www.theroot.com]

I'll defer to someone of color - but thats very well stated and is about how I feel about it at this point.

Posted by: RgrF
Date: February 12, 2020 09:06PM
Bloomberg is almost certain to have a suppressing effect on votes that should be in the Dem column, that won't matter in NY but could have a significant effect on the electoral result of Great Lakes and border states.
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: February 12, 2020 09:40PM
The article Sarcany links to is extraordinary. To the point it might not be a stretch to say that if you want to take your understanding of the issues at play here to a new level, it could be called just shy of mandatory reading for many.

As glib and contrite as Bloomberg’s statement may sound, there is also evidence that it and his come to Jesus ‘progress’ away from his past is at best the product of political expediency, and at worst, bones cynically cast out while the inner man remains the same.

Be that as it may, this segment of Michael Harriot’s piece speaks to the Hobson’s choice many voters feel they face.

”He might only be the lesser of two evils but, for a lot of people—especially black people—Donald Trump might be the greatest evil imaginable. Given that Bloomberg actually supported a system of institutional racism, I think it’s insane that any black person would vote for him. But I also know that white supremacy can make me crazy. Oppression, above all things, is a devourer of logic and a manufacturer of desperation.”

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2020 09:41PM by Blankity Blank.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: February 12, 2020 09:53PM
It will be difficult to criticize 45 over race issues with Mayor Mike as the nominee.
Date: February 13, 2020 06:24AM
[nymag.com]

other voices

Biden has this same problem as did Kamala Harris and Hillary Clinton. BUttigieg and Klobuchar have problem records here too.

Support for the overpolicing of black and brown communities has not prevented Democratic politicians from gaining and holding broad political support in those communities

There is a troubling lack of choice this year when it comes to this, the lack of diversity in the Dem field is lamentable but please note white people that this will not stop those communities form coming out in force to stop Donald Trump who is wrong on nearly every social issue

White voters have got to help get rid of him
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: February 13, 2020 09:32AM
I am opposed to another oligarch running for President.
Posted by: Acer
Date: February 13, 2020 09:46AM
IMHwhiteO, Bloomberg's apology was politically expedient but not driven by genuine epiphany. He's got enlightened Boomer racism, where he does not have personal animosity toward individuals of color, but still associates color with crime as a truism.

As an aside, too many wealthy old white people sucking the air out of this race, and this government, in general, and Bloomberg is just another one.
Date: February 13, 2020 11:23AM
Acer
IMHwhiteO, Bloomberg's apology was politically expedient but not driven by genuine epiphany. He's got enlightened Boomer racism, where he does not have personal animosity toward individuals of color, but still associates color with crime as a truism.

As an aside, too many wealthy old white people sucking the air out of this race, and this government, in general, and Bloomberg is just another one.

Agree!!

At the same time I worry about associating "old" with "unfit for office" because I don't believe that's true at all. It's the attitude, not necessarily the number. And Joe Biden is not wealthy, relative to these other people.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: February 13, 2020 11:27AM
Acer

Posted by: vision63
Date: February 13, 2020 12:06PM
This is a life or death election for Black people. In our minds, Hitler is president. Getting rid of orange Hitler is number one and all the rest of thebullshit can be dealt with later, because nobody is caring about that right now.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: February 13, 2020 12:46PM
Not a fan of "stop & frisk" but I'm even less of a fan of "I moved on her like a bitch. But I couldn’t get there. And she was married. Then all of a sudden I see her, she’s now got the big phony tits and everything. She’s totally changed her look. Yeah, that’s her. With the gold. I better use some Tic Tacs just in case I start kissing her. You know, I’m automatically attracted to beautiful — I just start kissing them. It’s like a magnet. Just kiss. I don’t even wait. And when you’re a star, they let you do it. You can do anything. Grab ’em by the pussy. You can do anything."
Posted by: $tevie
Date: February 13, 2020 01:08PM
I'm not a big Bloomberg fan aside from the gun control efforts that Lemon mentioned.

However, today he tweeted a response to Trump's insults that nails Trump's insecurities and has caused #carnivalbarkingclown to trend on Twitter. I dread a contest that includes Twitter-mud-wrestling. But I do have to admit that this tweet is a classic and it had to smart.

Mike Bloomberg
@realDonaldTrump
- we know many of the same people in NY. Behind your back they laugh at you & call you a carnival barking clown. They know you inherited a fortune & squandered it with stupid deals and incompetence.

I have the record & the resources to defeat you. And I will.

Date: February 13, 2020 01:25PM
$tevie
I'm not a big Bloomberg fan aside from the gun control efforts that Lemon mentioned.

However, today he tweeted a response to Trump's insults that nails Trump's insecurities and has caused #carnivalbarkingclown to trend on Twitter. I dread a contest that includes Twitter-mud-wrestling. But I do have to admit that this tweet is a classic and it had to smart.

Mike Bloomberg
@realDonaldTrump
- we know many of the same people in NY. Behind your back they laugh at you & call you a carnival barking clown. They know you inherited a fortune & squandered it with stupid deals and incompetence.

Excellent!
Date: February 13, 2020 01:30PM
Sarcany
[www.theroot.com]
Thanks for this link.

The Root is a really good site. I love their weekly Black Power Rankings.

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: February 13, 2020 01:33PM
.....dusty.........Bloom......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: February 13, 2020 03:11PM
I have to admit, that tweet is what is needed, as ridiculous as it all is. And it is.
Posted by: hal
Date: February 13, 2020 06:04PM
I saw another tweet pointing out Trump calling Bloomberg a racist because of 'stop and frisk' - a policy that Trump has MANY times publicly supported.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: February 13, 2020 06:05PM
If The Dotard hadn't been elected, I would have characterized Bloomberg as a threat to national civil rights. I would vote for him over just about any Republican in Congress.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: February 13, 2020 06:14PM
Unlike Trump, Bloomberg is not basing his campaign on racial, social and religious hatred.
Posted by: Janit
Date: February 13, 2020 06:53PM
$tevie

Mike Bloomberg
@realDonaldTrump

And in a later response to Trump's insults about Bloomberg's height: "Donald, where I come from we measure your height from the neck up."
Date: February 13, 2020 08:53PM
Janit
$tevie

Mike Bloomberg
@realDonaldTrump

And in a later response to Trump's insults about Bloomberg's height: "Donald, where I come from we measure your height from the neck up."
Trump cannot win a battle of wits. He should stop trying.

Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: February 14, 2020 05:28AM
hal
I saw another tweet pointing out Trump calling Bloomberg a racist

With republicans and especially Trump; every accusation is a confession.
Posted by: wave rider
Date: February 14, 2020 11:04AM
Lux Interior
hal
I saw another tweet pointing out Trump calling Bloomberg a racist

With republicans and especially Trump; every accusation is a confession.

ftw smiley

=wr=
Posted by: sekker
Date: February 15, 2020 02:34PM
$tevie
Janit
$tevie

Mike Bloomberg
@realDonaldTrump

Trump cannot win a battle of wits. He should stop trying.

He took down nearly every other political opponent using Twitter and insults. In 2016, the few who could take The Idiot on including Elizabeth Warren. Even HC was not savvy like Bloomberg.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 121
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018