advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Well, better than nothing
Posted by: samintx
Date: February 13, 2020 01:26PM
The Senate voted 55-45 on Thursday in favor of a war powers resolution curbing President Trump's ability to launch military action against Iran without congressional authorization.

Why it matters: It's a bipartisan rebuke of the president's foreign policy that passed even after the White House threatened to veto the resolution.

Eight Republican senators — Mike Lee (R-Utah), Lamar Alexander (R-Tenn.), Bill Cassidy (R-La.), Jerry Moran (R-Kansas), Lisa Murkowski (R-Alaska), Todd Young (R-Ind.), Rand Paul (R-Ky.) and Susan Collins (R-Maine) — joined Democrats in voting for the resolution.
Between the lines: The House last month passed a "concurrent" war powers resolution, which does not have the force of law or go to the president's desk for a signature. "This is a statement of the Congress of the United States," Speaker Nancy Pelosi said at the time. "I will not have that statement diminished by having the president veto it or not."

The Senate measure is a more forceful "joint" resolution, meaning it can be voted on by the House and sent to Trump's desk to be enacted into law. The Senate does not have the two-thirds majority necessary to override Trump's veto.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Well, better than nothing
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: February 13, 2020 02:47PM
I agree, symbolically important but in the end won't change anything.

I don't personally believe that Trump wants war with Iran.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: February 13, 2020 03:11PM
....a lobotomy is quicker.....and cheaper......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: February 13, 2020 06:00PM
Not enough Republicans to override a veto.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: February 14, 2020 02:42PM
It is the same as nothing. Not better, unless pissing into the wind and feeling relieved afterwards counts as 'better.'

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 258
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018