advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Klobuchar has had it over race, I fear
Posted by: samintx
Date: February 14, 2020 02:24PM
On Tuesday, Klobuchar was pressed on ABC’s “The View” about her office’s questionable prosecution of black teenager in a high-profile case that was the subject of a recent Associated Press investigation. About the same time, video began circulating of a 2006 Senate debate in which Klobuchar called for a fence along the U.S.-Mexico border.

Hard questioning stepping off the plane..this is going to set her back and I doubt if she can recover. What do you think?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Klobuchar has had it over race, I fear
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: February 14, 2020 02:34PM
She didn't say she would build a 1500 mile 50 foot concrete wall and have Mexico pay for it, did she?
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: February 14, 2020 02:36PM
Did she refer to people seeking asylum in the U.S. as 'an invasion'?
Posted by: samintx
Date: February 14, 2020 02:39PM
I like Amy and am all for her but I am only one in a sea of voters.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: February 14, 2020 02:45PM
It will be hard to know until some people of color get to, you know, VOTE.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: sekker
Date: February 14, 2020 02:53PM
I’m not a POC. I’ll let them speak on this.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: February 14, 2020 07:42PM
This shows the difficult path former prosecutors have within the Dem party, Harris faced the same sort of hurdles but never got up enough of a head of steam for it to become a real issue.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: February 14, 2020 09:22PM
I hope these things drive her out of the race. She has little substance and not much of a platform.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: February 15, 2020 12:38AM
Well the Berners have had the knives out for Pete for far less.
Date: February 15, 2020 01:45AM
There's no reason for Sanders backers to be knifing Mayor Pete, they aren't competing for the same audience. Eventually there will be a nominee, one that they will all need to coalesce around.

The 'anyone but Bernie' crowd will have to get over it if they have any hope of defeating the real enemy - the absolute stupidity that allows people to think a second term will be good for anyone but Donald Trump.
Date: February 15, 2020 02:29AM
RgrF
There's no reason for Sanders backers to be knifing Mayor Pete, they aren't competing for the same audience. Eventually there will be a nominee, one that they will all need to coalesce around.

yes, they are after Pete. Coming in an extremely close second will do that. All of my Berner friends have been ripping him for months now. Policy differences are fair game, but they're mostly trying to out-woke one another by increasing this (fallacious, in my opinion) theme that Pete is anti-AA. They know that Bernie needs all of those votes to remain the front runner.
Date: February 15, 2020 04:04AM
Anecdotal. Not seeing that here in California - but that would be anecdotal as well.

Must be fun being in the battleground states like Nev (with it's old fashioned union strength) or SC (union? what's that a yankee thang?)
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: February 15, 2020 07:41AM
Klobuchar made a flub in Nevada when during an interview with Telemundo she could not name the president of Mexico. Neither could Tom Steyer. Mayor Pete knew it.

Yes Mayor Pete has been hammered on race since the beginning due to a specific incident in Sound Bend involving his firing the black police chief, and a larger narrative that all of his accomplishments as mayor have benefited the white community and ignored the black community. It goes back 8-10 years and involves multiple incidents including the shooting by a white officer of a black man in South Bend last summer.
Details here:
[www.vox.com]
Date: February 15, 2020 01:48PM
I've read the supposedly anti-AA articles surrounding Pete, and many of the "hit" pieces that popped up when he appeared on the scene, and I remain unconvinced that these are somehow indicative of systemic racism in Pete's personality. South Bend has many problems, and is probably not enough of a stage to propel Pete to POTUS, but it's not indicative of a racist streak in its former Mayor.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: February 15, 2020 01:58PM
mrbigstuff
I've read the supposedly anti-AA articles surrounding Pete, and many of the "hit" pieces that popped up when he appeared on the scene, and I remain unconvinced that these are somehow indicative of systemic racism in Pete's personality. South Bend has many problems, and is probably not enough of a stage to propel Pete to POTUS, but it's not indicative of a racist streak in its former Mayor.

Everyone gets to have an opinion, including white folks! There are lots of Black folks in South Bend who disagree.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Date: February 15, 2020 02:27PM
rjmacs
mrbigstuff

Everyone gets to have an opinion, including white folks! There are lots of Black folks in South Bend who disagree.

Data? Mayor Pete's last election in 2015 was an astounding vote total (garnered over 80% of the vote). Hard to think he could get that high and be alienating ANY large group.
Date: February 15, 2020 02:28PM
The BIG push against Pete by Bernie supporters in online - I see it on Twitter, with plenty of fake news being propagated.

Don't get me wrong - I think Pete is still inexperienced etc. But making up false stories to take him down is not cool.

Just like saying Bernie is a communist and got married in Russia is also wrong.
Posted by: Ammo
Date: February 15, 2020 04:11PM
Fair is fair, but I hate it when people imply that someone who has made a small number of mistakes in the past - sometimes years and years ago - are not fit for office. In the meantime, we don’t really know for certain if these gotchas are coming from people in the same party, let alone from the same country.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass
Date: February 15, 2020 04:30PM
Let me say first that I like and admire Pete Buttigieg very much. I hope he goes on to a significant political leadership career, beyond mayor of a small city. But he's green and his connection problems with the black community are part of that.

The stories that black residents of South Bend tell about their experiences while Pete was their mayor are not made up. I've listened to them via credible media sources, not social media, I've also heard support expressed for him as a politician in general alongside measured disappointment that he didn't reach out to the AA community as well as he could have, that he pursued law enforcement policies that disproportionately hurt blacks, and has been tone deaf about white privilege in saying things like "I understand the discrimination blacks face because I'm gay." No Pete, you don't. Nobody can tell you're gay just by looking, you walk around in white skin and all the advantages that entails. This is all stuff he will have to learn if he wants to be a successful national politician. Listen more, tell your own story a little less. Make sure everybody is at the table. He's going to get smacked down in South Carolina and likely many other diverse states, I'm sorry to say.
Date: February 16, 2020 09:34AM
Lemon Drop, I’m not saying what you hear is wrong. But the aggregate data says those are not the average or even plurality of views.

In every city, there are people who push their leaders and want more. And that’s great.

But we seem to let the edge cases define the politician. Seems wrong to me.
Date: February 16, 2020 11:05AM
sekker
Lemon Drop, I’m not saying what you hear is wrong. But the aggregate data says those are not the average or even plurality of views.

In every city, there are people who push their leaders and want more. And that’s great.

I don't consider the opinions of black voters in South Bend on serious matters like firing a police chief and major economic initiatives as "edge cases."

This is about whether Pete can rally enough minority support on a national level to win the nomination, that's his goal. And his record to date unfortunately is a hindrance to that goal. This is about his actual record because he has one.

If you're referring to voting data, in 2015 Pete had an inexperienced GOP opponent who makes jewelry for a living. The city is overwhelmingly Dem, the Dem can't lose there. There is no data from South Bend to extrapolate to a national audience of voters regarding him. We know the demographics of Iowa and New Hampshire where he did well. Have to see what happens in the primaries going forward; I don't think it's going to be pretty for Mayor Pete.
Date: February 16, 2020 02:53PM
Lemon Drop
sekker

I don't consider the opinions of black voters in South Bend on serious matters like firing a police chief and major economic initiatives as "edge cases."

This is about whether Pete can rally enough minority support on a national level to win the nomination, that's his goal. And his record to date unfortunately is a hindrance to that goal. This is about his actual record because he has one.

If you're referring to voting data, in 2015 Pete had an inexperienced GOP opponent who makes jewelry for a living. The city is overwhelmingly Dem, the Dem can't lose there. There is no data from South Bend to extrapolate to a national audience of voters regarding him. We know the demographics of Iowa and New Hampshire where he did well. Have to see what happens in the primaries going forward; I don't think it's going to be pretty for Mayor Pete.

You are likely correct about lack of national-level support. Though 'firing a police chief' is not necessarily a bad thing if they are not doing the job... He clearly ignored his AA community, at least earlier in his Mayo role.
Date: February 16, 2020 03:11PM
Here's the rundown on the controversy surrounding his demotion of Daniel Boykins, South Bend's first black police chief. Boykins later sued the city for racial discrimination and won.

[theintercept.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 126
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018