advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Our Own Presidential Poll
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: February 16, 2020 12:15PM
Poll
Which candidate is your first choice for president in 2020?
Only registered users are allowed to vote for this poll.
57 votes were received.
Biden 6

11%
Bloomberg 8

14%
Buttigieg 4

7%
Klobacher 4

7%
Sanders 13

23%
Trump 2

4%
Warren 20

34%

There is a great deal of pontificating about different candidates, let's have our own poll. I picked the top six democrat candidates and the Republican based on national polls (placed alphabetically just like a ballot), simply pick your choice, no explanation needed (though you can obviously add one if you wish)

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2020 12:16PM by Ombligo.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Our Own Presidential Poll
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: February 16, 2020 12:35PM
Where's Ralph Nader?
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: February 16, 2020 12:39PM
You forgot Tom Steyer and Tulsi Gabbard, both still running and on ballots.
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: February 16, 2020 12:54PM
Lemon Drop

It’s the top six democrats, based on current polling, plus Trump.

Still, time for that next cup of coffee. “Klobuchar”. ;)
Date: February 16, 2020 02:00PM
Blankity Blank
Lemon Drop

It’s the top six democrats, based on current polling, plus Trump.

Still, time for that next cup of coffee. “Klobuchar”. ;)

Got it, thanks.
Date: February 16, 2020 02:05PM
I guess we're as undecided as the whole country.

Nate Silver's latest prediction shows "nobody" as the most likely winner of the Dem primary contest - meaning we'd be headed for a brokered convention with no candidate winning the minimum required number of delegates to win the nomination.

I mentioned Steyer because he's polling 3rd in SC and 4th in NV, ahead of Klubuchar or Buttigieg. I noticed his billboards and other campaigning in SC, particularly in the Low Country; he is everywhere and all over the state. Interesting dynamic.
Posted by: bfd
Date: February 16, 2020 02:16PM
One interesting note in this limited sample (so far) - Bootyjudge. He's done well elsewhere … or has that maybe been due to some strategic ballot box stuffing by deplorables?
Posted by: sekker
Date: February 16, 2020 02:50PM
PS It's 'Klobuchar'...
Posted by: davester
Date: February 16, 2020 03:01PM
I like Bernie a lot. I just don't think he'd be an effective president.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: February 16, 2020 03:03PM
Unfortunately I think there are two questions that could have two different answers:

1. This thread; Which one would you want to BE President?

2. Which one can defeat tRump in the Presidential election?
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: February 16, 2020 04:42PM
OK - who's the nut who chose Trump? I'm heating up the tar and plucking the feathers in preparation.
Posted by: Bernie
Date: February 16, 2020 04:54PM
S. Pupp
OK - who's the nut who chose Trump? I'm heating up the tar and plucking the feathers in preparation.

smiley-laughing001

Staunton, Virginia
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: February 16, 2020 05:24PM
Sorry for misspelling Klobuchar's name, I was focused on getting Buttigieg right. However, you cannot edit an active poll.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: pdq
Date: February 16, 2020 05:28PM
FWIW, I think I read when her grandpa came over from the old country, it was pronounced more like klo-BUTCHer.

At least the family kept the spelling the same, unlike certain other politicians (cough-Drumpf-cough).
Posted by: graylocks
Date: February 16, 2020 09:29PM
my first choice is Warren.

i will probably be pulling the digital lever for Bloomberg. i do think he can actually beat 45. I don't think Warren can because life is not fair.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2020 09:29PM by graylocks.
Posted by: Ted King
Date: February 16, 2020 09:29PM
I took "first choice" in the sense of who do I think would make the best president if they were elected president. For me, that's Warren.

Probably staying true to herself, she tried to compete in Bernie demographics and lost. I was hoping she would show more pragmatism in the campaign and appeal to moderate Democrats more. Also, like all the major candidates left, she also needs to show African Americans that she genuinely understands their unique concerns and can genuinely empathize with them about their unique hardships and has policies that if implemented would help meaningfully mitigate some of the biggest concerns.

I think if she was elected president that she would likely be fairly pragmatic. She isn't a generational political talent like Obama but I think she's got enough on the ball to move us forward in a direction I'd like to see us go. She seems to be less about blame than about how to make things better. I think that would be a good attribute for the next president to have given the polarity of our body politic and the great challenges we have to face.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2020 09:31PM by Ted King.
Posted by: neophyte
Date: February 17, 2020 07:09AM
Lemon Drop
I mentioned Steyer because he's polling 3rd in SC and 4th in NV, ahead of Klubuchar or Buttigieg. I noticed his billboards and other campaigning in SC, particularly in the Low Country; he is everywhere and all over the state. Interesting dynamic.

Steyer and Buttigieg have been running prime time TV ads on all 3 major networks since the end of December here in the Low Country. Every night, 3-5 ads. A full 2 months before our primary. During this time, Warren has run a few ads. No ads from any other candidate until this past Tuesday, after Iowa New Hampshire. A few from Warren, fewer from Biden, fewer still from Gabbard, and I haven't seen one yet from Klubuchar. Steyer's and Buttigieg's ads still way outnumber these others by a long shot.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2020 09:01AM by neophyte.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: February 17, 2020 08:33AM
davester

At this point, I'd take some kid from the mail room over the current occupant.
Date: February 17, 2020 10:12AM
neophyte
Lemon Drop

Steyer and Buttigieg have been running prime time TV ads on all 3 major networks since the end of December here in the Low Country. Every night, 3-5 ads. A full 2 months before our primary. During this time, Warren has run a few ads. No ads from any other candidate until this past Tuesday, after Iowa New Hampshire. A few from Warren, fewer from Biden, fewer still from Gabbard, and I haven't seen one yet from Klubuchar. Steyer's and Buttigieg's ads still way outnumber these others by a long shot.

When this is over I'd love to see Steyer bring some money and organizing resources to the Low Country. We'll find out if he really cared or if this was just about his own political success.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: February 17, 2020 10:44AM
Not (Trump)
Posted by: neophyte
Date: February 17, 2020 11:26AM
Lemon Drop
When this is over I'd love to see Steyer bring some money and organizing resources to the Low Country. We'll find out if he really cared or if this was just about his own political success.

I can't imagine he would spend money at the local level anywhere in the US. Perhaps he would send money to state Dem Party orgs for specific causes? Like for vote tallying and reporting mechanisms that actually work?
Date: February 17, 2020 11:53AM
neophyte
Lemon Drop

I can't imagine he would spend money at the local level anywhere in the US. Perhaps he would send money to state Dem Party orgs for specific causes? Like for vote tallying and reporting mechanisms that actually work?

I'm looking at the (very significant) anti-poverty philanthropic work he's done on the west coast and wondering if he might replicate that in other states. It's had impact. For example the Beneficial State Bank that he founded to bring commercial banking services to underserved areas. He's also been active in municipal broadband and alternative energy, both of which are badly needed in SC.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2020 11:54AM by Lemon Drop.
Posted by: vision63
Date: February 17, 2020 03:45PM
Lux Interior
davester

At this point, I'd take some kid from the mail room over the current occupant.

I frikken can't stand Bernie but I'd vote for him in a heartbeat over Trump.

I'd vote for Putin over Trump.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: February 17, 2020 08:38PM
vision63

Tell us how you really feel!
So, Russ, who are you out pounding the pavement for now ?

Jonesing For Joe?
Mad About Mike?
Astounded By Amy?
Praising Pete?
Loving Liz?

or are you still too busy m*******ting over Mookie? baseball bat smiley
Posted by: Ca Bob
Date: February 17, 2020 11:37PM
I'd be interested in how the New Yorkers view Bloomberg. I heard his speech at the MIT graduation and he was reasonably impressive.
Posted by: vision63
Date: February 18, 2020 02:05AM
RgrF
vision63

Tell us how you really feel!
So, Russ, who are you out pounding the pavement for now ?

Jonesing For Joe?
Mad About Mike?
Astounded By Amy?
Praising Pete?
Loving Liz?

or are you still too busy m*******ting over Mookie? baseball bat smiley

Verdugo was pretty badass. He was just hurt the second half of the year. I'd have to wait to see how Mookie will pan out before I put any energy towards him.

I pound the pavement for the Democratic Party as you should as well. I've registered 400+ individuals in Georgia, Alabama, South Carolina and Louisiana (since the summer) and we won't even count California. It's hard as hell to register people in the South. I will continue to do so. I'm on the board of my childhood Democratic Club, and a founder of another one for young people.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 240
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018