advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
As Michigan gets ready to decide Bernie's fate...
Posted by: RgrF
Date: March 10, 2020 02:29AM
...Vice offers a comparison of candidate issues and stances.

Make no mistake, Democratic voters ran for safety on Super Tuesday, if they continue that run today the issue will be settled.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: As Michigan gets ready to decide Bernie's fate...
Posted by: Acer
Date: March 10, 2020 09:18AM
Hopefully for Bernie the Super Tuesday losses will spur his young demographic to the polls. But if three years of living under code orange have not done it, I have my doubts. That demographic is too busy living its life, still working 50 hour weeks, climbing the employment and social ladders, keeping up with loan payments, starting families. It doesn't have time to fuss over the future like us old farts. We should be watching out for them.
Posted by: Sam3
Date: March 10, 2020 10:47AM
They can't take 15 minutes out of their social media driven day to go to the polls to vote?

The arts are not luxuries but assets that give way more than they cost.
--Ronald Tucker on YouTube

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open.
--Frank Zappa
Posted by: Carm
Date: March 10, 2020 10:53AM
Warren still undecided who she is supporting?
Kamala Harris announces she would support Biden.
Trevor Noah has the details. [thehill.com]
Edit: Most of them supporting Biden. It feels like their $$ donors said, if you drop out, support Biden. Even though they brought up some good points against Biden during the debates.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2020 10:57AM by Carm.
Posted by: Pam
Date: March 10, 2020 11:07AM
You know you can support more progressive policies and in no way want Bernie as president. If progressives really wanted a candidate to not only win but be effective both as president and for pushing progressive issues then Warren should have been the candidate and Bernie should have dropped out. With Biden as the candidate and a chance of dems taking the senate, there’s a chance for progress. If Republicans keep the senate then nothing will get done. Mitch has done nothing the last 8 years besides judges, the big tax cut, and the bare minimum to keep the government open. People seem to forget Obama had no support from Republicans in the house or senate for the last 6 years of office. Democrats took the house just one year ago.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: March 10, 2020 11:12AM
Acer
Hopefully for Bernie the Super Tuesday losses will spur his young demographic to the polls. But if three years of living under code orange have not done it, I have my doubts. That demographic is too busy living its life, still working 50 hour weeks, climbing the employment and social ladders, keeping up with loan payments, starting families. It doesn't have time to fuss over the future like us old farts. We should be watching out for them.

Oh gosh thank you for this!!!

So true.

Voter turnout in primaries is always pretty low. It's Nov 3 that matters and we need to keep our focus on that. Keep the voter registration going as V63 has demonstrated.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: March 10, 2020 12:40PM
Pam
You know you can support more progressive policies and in no way want Bernie as president. If progressives really wanted a candidate to not only win but be effective both as president and for pushing progressive issues then Warren should have been the candidate and Bernie should have dropped out. With Biden as the candidate and a chance of dems taking the senate, there’s a chance for progress. If Republicans keep the senate then nothing will get done. Mitch has done nothing the last 8 years besides judges, the big tax cut, and the bare minimum to keep the government open. People seem to forget Obama had no support from Republicans in the house or senate for the last 6 years of office. Democrats took the house just one year ago.
I think Bernie ruined it for Progressives because Warren would have been much better at reaching out to moderates and moderate Republicans, and instead we are going to end up with Biden. But it isn't the first time a narcissistic male ego ruined it for an earnest intelligent woman.

Date: March 10, 2020 01:07PM
$tevie
Pam
I think Bernie ruined it for Progressives because Warren would have been much better at reaching out to moderates and moderate Republicans, and instead we are going to end up with Biden. But it isn't the first time a narcissistic male ego ruined it for an earnest intelligent woman.

Based on several comments Biden has made, including that he is a bridge, is encouraging. I look for more women in his cabinet as well as VP. More youth as well.
Posted by: vision63
Date: March 10, 2020 01:37PM
As long as there is a mathematical pathway, Bernie can still win. How anyone views his signature proposals as even remotely doable doesn't make sense, nor does Bernie make it make sense. Do people like him as a protest candidate? Why not protest with Warren? His proposals are not even aspirational, because there's no pathway to fulfillment. However, this is where true comparisons are made:

Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: March 10, 2020 03:28PM
Quantity doesn’t equal quality.
I’d prefer a Senator who introduced 3 solid, important, passable bills to one who introduced 8 trivial or impossible-to-pass ones.
Date: March 10, 2020 03:31PM
DeusxMac
I’d prefer a Senator who introduced 3 solid, important, passable bills to one who introduced 8 trivial or impossible-to-pass ones.

in 29 years of being in Congress, Sanders authored and passed ONE bill. We're not including post offices etc, major legislation. So what quality?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2020 03:33PM by vision63.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: March 10, 2020 03:36PM
My 23-year-old son and his 21-year-old fiance voted today. His second presidential election and her first, they expect to be on the winning side this time.

Both said Sanders has some great sounding ideas that don't have a chance of being enacted. They vote for Biden instead.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: March 10, 2020 03:38PM
vision63
DeusxMac

in 29 years of being in Congress, Sanders authored and passed ONE bill. We're not including post offices etc, major legislation. So what quality?

Not a Bernie comment. Just saying, without more info, Harris’s 3 might be of more significance than Gillibrand’s 8.
Date: March 10, 2020 04:30PM
More important than the number of bills with your name on it is the ability to work with other senators and grassroots orgs to form the needed coalition. Talk is cheap. Gotta be able to back it up.
Date: March 10, 2020 04:35PM
DeusxMac
vision63
DeusxMac

Not a Bernie comment. Just saying, without more info, Harris’s 3 might be of more significance than Gillibrand’s 8.

I agree. Bernie is an effective legislator when he piggybacks on existing bills. He's not good at crafting bills because he's too rigid. He'll often, however, amend to kill a good bill because it isn't pure enough. He's afraid to support what he considers to be only partially effective according to his standards. His Veteran's Choice bill (co-sponsored with McCain) was perfect for him because it was so black and white. That's considered his greatest legislative achievement.
Posted by: Ammo
Date: March 10, 2020 06:06PM
$tevie
Pam

I would have chosen Warren over Sanders any day of the week. She had the guts to explain how she would accomplish her goals whereas Bernie wouldn’t be pinned down on anything but how miserable things are now. But IMO, Bernie was carrying on his 2016 campaign to 2020 and it would be asking a lot for him to drop out of the race when Warren joined.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass

Until you make your unconscious conscious, it will direct your life and you will call it fate. - Carl Jung
Posted by: $tevie
Date: March 10, 2020 06:20PM
Bernie in 2016 was the "anyone but Hillary" candidate. No Hillary this year, so he was an anachronism masquerading as a viable candidate.

Posted by: hal
Date: March 10, 2020 06:23PM
that's TODAY! I completely forgot about elections...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 192
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018