advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Trump Press Conference at 3 pm (EST)......
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: March 13, 2020 12:31PM
.....he will 'allegedly' declare national emergency.....

Trump plans to declare national emergency over coronavirus pandemic

President Trump plans to declare a national emergency over the coronavirus pandemic, administration officials told NBC News.

The president has scheduled a 3 p.m. ET press conference Friday at the White House.

French President Emmanuel Macron said leaders of Group of 7 economic giant nations have “agreed to organize an extraordinary Leaders Summit by videoconference on Monday” on coronavirus.

Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said the White House and Congress are nearing a deal that would provide stimulus to the U.S. economy.

....President Donald Trump plans to declare a national emergency over the coronavirus pandemic, administration officials told NBC News.

The declaration would free up financial resources to assist Americans affected by the outbreak.

The president has scheduled a 3 p.m. ET news conference Friday at the White House.

The conference is set to occur shortly after Trump is scheduled to meet at the White House with major laboratory company executives about the response to the coronavirus outbreak.

A White House spokesman declined to comment when asked about the plan.

The Senate’s top Democrat, Sen. Chuck Schumer of New York, cautiously voiced support for such a declaration, provided Trump doesn’t “overstep his authority or indulge his autocratic tendencies.”

Trump’s emergency designation is expected to fall under the Stafford Act, which allows for two types of presidential declarations.

The first is an emergency, which is what Trump is expected to declare.

The second is a major disaster, which gives emergency management even more access to resources. Both designations place FEMA in charge of what happens.

French President Emmanuel Macron said Friday that he, Trump and the rest of leaders of the Group of 7 economic giant nations have “agreed to organize an extraordinary Leaders Summit by videoconference on Monday on Covid-19.”

“We will coordinate research efforts on a vaccine and treatments, and work on an economic and financial response,” Macron announced in a tweet.

The announcement of a U.S. national emergency would come just a day after Trump said he was not yet ready to make such a declaration.

“We have very strong emergency powers under the Stafford Act, and we are — we have it — I mean, I have it memorized, practically, as to the powers in that act. If I need to do something, I’ll do it,” Trump said in an Oval Office meeting with Ireland’s prime minister, Leo Varadkar.

“I have the right to do a lot of things that people don’t even know about.”

An emergency declaration also would put to rest weeks of debate within the White House, where different factions of Trump’s top aides disagreed about whether a Stafford Act declaration is necessary.

Those opposed to making the declaration, which had included Trump himself, worried that it would cause financial markets to panic.

They also feared political fallout if it appeared Trump was sending the opposite message about coronavirus, namely that it is an emergency, from the one he had consistently delivered so far. Trump has claimed that coronavirus is no more dangerous than the common flu, and that it will likely disappear quickly and without a significant impact on American life. Health officials say neither of these statements is accurate.

New York Mayor Bill de Blasio declared a state of emergency in the city on Thursday. New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo on the same day banned gatherings of 500 or more in the state “for the forseeable future.”

Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin told CNBC earlier Friday the White House and Congress are nearing a deal that would provide stimulus to the U.S. economy amid the coronavirus outbreak.

“I think we’re very close to getting this done,” Mnuchin said in a “Squawk on the Street” interview......

here..........we...........go......?!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Trump Press Conference at 3 pm (EST)......
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: March 13, 2020 12:39PM
FEMA Camps!
Posted by: samintx
Date: March 13, 2020 01:12PM
China sent experts to Italy and I heard So Korea sent America test kits! America should have been leading the parade as in the past but we aren’t. smiley-talk034

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2020 01:13PM by samintx.
Posted by: hal
Date: March 13, 2020 01:13PM
In global disaster movies, there’s always a scientist who’s like, WE HAVE TO ACT NOW OR PEOPLE WILL DIE and some government guy who’s like, YOU’RE BLOWING THIS OUT OF PROPORTION and I’m like, NO ONE WOULD REACT TO INFO LIKE THAT IN REAL LIFE.

My apologies to those movies.

stolen from twitter
Posted by: neophyte
Date: March 13, 2020 01:20PM
.....he will 'allegedly' declare national emergency.....

Does that mean Walmart can be expected to restock their empty TP shelves post-haste?
Posted by: $tevie
Date: March 13, 2020 01:33PM
Trump is the only person who knows what's in the Stafford Disaster Relief and Emergency Assistance Act. RollingEyesSmiley5

"We have things that I can do. We have very strong emergency powers under the Stafford Act," he said during an Oval Office meeting with the Irish prime minister. "I have it memorized practically as to the powers in that act, and if I need to do something I’ll do it. I have the right to do a lot of things that people don't even know about."
[thehill.com]

Date: March 13, 2020 01:35PM
....uh oh, he will declare martial law........and full power.....

Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: March 13, 2020 02:18PM
Trump
”I have the right to do a lot of things that people don't even know about."

Those “people” being his adoring and ill-informed worshipers.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: March 13, 2020 02:27PM
Great modeling of social non-distancing at the imminent press conference at the WH:

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: March 13, 2020 02:29PM
rjmacs
Great modeling of social non-distancing at the imminent press conference at the WH:

They should all take turns having coughing fits while he speaks.

His meltdown would be legendary.
Date: March 13, 2020 02:33PM
....those are two big words [ he said 'national emergency' is 2 big words ].......???

Date: March 13, 2020 02:41PM
on the border of incoherence

throwing in all the 'bigly' words

the underlings are giving the details

Will I be able to use my semi-automatic to shoot the Corona Germs?
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: March 13, 2020 02:45PM
He started off with tooting his own horn - everything is great, fantastic, the best, etc. then he blamed previous administration backhandedly.
Date: March 13, 2020 02:49PM
The big-time ret5ailer CEOs and drug companies are giving mighty optimistic projections of capacity and supply.

All praise the Orange Caesar for his magnificence.
Date: March 13, 2020 02:52PM
Steve G.
The big-time ret5ailer CEOs and drug companies are giving mighty optimistic projections of capacity and supply.

All praise the Orange Caesar for his magnificence.

And all passing the podium where The Idiot has spread his germs.
Date: March 13, 2020 02:52PM
Grand amounts of money to fill strategic oil reserve 'right up to the top'. Because that fights coronavirus.
Date: March 13, 2020 02:53PM
....Pence.......sure likes to kiss.........

Posted by: steve...
Date: March 13, 2020 02:55PM
He's shaking everyone's hand. He doesn't need no stinkin' social distancing.

Correction: One guy did an elbow bump.

Pence, once again, thanks Trumpo for his exquisite leadership.

Northern California Coast
Pence wraps it up by giving a lengthy kiss-ass summary of the wonderful, best of America, genius effort made by The Man who had forged a seamless partnership with inspiration, courage and praise not heard since the height of the Soviet Union and similar paradises.

The Leader will defeat the virus-BIGLY!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2020 02:57PM by Steve G..
I hope there's enough toilet paper left for Mike Pence after all his ass kissing.
Date: March 13, 2020 03:03PM
.....rambling......rambling......rambling.........meandering.....meandering.....meandering.....

Date: March 13, 2020 03:05PM
Now he's bragging on the progress we've made and how much we've done compared to other countries. You crazy sonofabitch.
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: March 13, 2020 03:06PM
  • Infomercial
  • Dog and pony show
  • Product placements
  • Ramrodded approval process
  • Suspect efficacy
  • Testing: PUMP. UP. THE. NUMBERS.
  • By any means necessary
  • Trump rally
  • Still selling fantasies

I hope I’m wrong. I doubt very much I am.
Posted by: Sam3
Date: March 13, 2020 03:08PM
I'm wondering how accurate these new, quickly produced testing kits will be, given that the first batch of US-made kits failed horribly.

The arts are not luxuries but assets that give way more than they cost.
--Ronald Tucker on YouTube

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open.
--Frank Zappa
Posted by: btfc
Date: March 13, 2020 03:09PM
neophyte

Does that mean Walmart can be expected to restock their empty TP shelves post-haste?

Trump’s gonna start throwing out rolls of TP at his rallies.
Date: March 13, 2020 03:09PM
AND HE BLAMES OBAMA!!
Date: March 13, 2020 03:18PM
Look at this this way: Trump called up a bunch of CEOs and said, "I'll give you a free ad to the whole country if you'll come kiss my ass."
Posted by: Yoyodyne ArtWorks
Date: March 13, 2020 03:22PM
Pence is a pathetic toady, it’s almost painful to watch him.

Make me an angel that flies from Montgomery
Make me a poster of an old rodeo
Just give me one thing that I can hold on to
To believe in this living is just a hard way to go

- John Prine
Date: March 13, 2020 03:22PM
Sam3
I'm wondering how accurate these new, quickly produced testing kits will be, given that the first batch of US-made kits failed horribly.

The problem is not going to be with the quality of the tests, but the speed with which they can be processed. Roche is bringing on higher-speed equipment soon to increase the rate of PCR test completion, but as Ted pointed out in another thread, we can only process about 16,000 tests per day in the U.S. right now.

rj
AKA
Date: March 13, 2020 03:26PM
Why does he even take questions from PBS Newshour? He never answers the question, he just insults the questioner. Maybe that's it.

rj
AKA
Posted by: wave rider
Date: March 13, 2020 03:32PM
It seems most standing behind the mics are double jointed as there is so much self backslapping going on…

=wr=
Date: March 13, 2020 03:34PM
Stock market loved it - Dow and NASDAQ both up over 9% at the close.

rj
AKA
Posted by: samintx
Date: March 13, 2020 03:51PM
I listened to about the first 2 minutes which were lies and switched it off and watched a movie.
Posted by: hal
Date: March 13, 2020 04:10PM
rjmacs
Why does he even take questions from PBS Newshour? He never answers the question, he just insults the questioner. Maybe that's it.

this one:

Yamiche Alcindor @Yamiche

My Q: You said you don’t take responsibility for slow response to coronavirus but your administration disbanded the White House office on pandemics?

President Trump: “That’s a nasty question...When you say me, I didn't do it. We have a group of people [in the administration].”

In case you were wondering what she looks like:

Date: March 13, 2020 04:53PM
Oh, I know quite well that he saves his special venom for Black women. I just wonder if he only calls on them so he can insult them on TV. And if so, if he has any idea that that's why he does it, which I doubt.

rj
AKA
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: March 13, 2020 06:19PM
"Narcissistic personality disorder (NPD) is a long-term pattern of abnormal behavior characterized by exaggerated feelings of self-importance, an excessive need for admiration, and a lack of understanding of others' feelings."

Signs and symptoms
People with narcissistic personality disorder are characterized by their persistent grandiosity, excessive need for admiration, and a disdain and lack of empathy for others. These individuals often display arrogance, a sense of superiority, and power-seeking behaviors. Narcissistic personality disorder is different from having a strong sense of self-confidence. This is because people with NPD typically value themselves over others to the extent that they disregard the feelings and wishes of others and expect to be treated as superior regardless of their actual status or achievements. In addition, people with NPD may exhibit fragile egos, an inability to tolerate criticism, and a tendency to belittle others in an attempt to validate their own superiority."

"Therapy is often difficult as people frequently do not consider themselves to have a problem."
Posted by: $tevie
Date: March 13, 2020 06:34PM
Posted by: RgrF
Date: March 13, 2020 07:22PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2020 07:23PM by RgrF.
Posted by: steve...
Date: March 13, 2020 09:20PM
hal
rjmacs

this one:

Yamiche Alcindor @Yamiche

My Q: You said you don’t take responsibility for slow response to coronavirus but your administration disbanded the White House office on pandemics?

President Trump: “That’s a nasty question...When you say me, I didn't do it. We have a group of people [in the administration].”

In case you were wondering what she looks like:

She said tonight on MSNBC that her mic was cutoff when she tried to follow up with Trump's response.

Northern California Coast
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: March 14, 2020 12:38AM
Good going Yamiche. This is why he stopped doing events in the White House Press Briefing Room. People were calling him on his lies.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 147
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018