advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
I propose some US Constitution amendments
Posted by: space-time
Date: March 29, 2020 03:11PM
22nd amendment: change 2 terms into 1 term

New president every 4 years. This way each president is focussing on actually running the country, not on getting re-elected. No more lame duck presidents. It is a waste to have a great president which is not allowed a second term, but it would be even worse to have a moron get re-elected and destroy the country for 4 more years.

Senate: only one term, 6 years. This way you don't have people like Mitch McConnell block bills.

Representatives: allowed 3 terms, still elections every 2 years. Max 6 years in office, just like senators.

US Supreme cour justices: 18 year term limit, every 2 year a new justice is appointed. every president gets to select 2 new justices, one after 1st year, one after 3rd year in office.

Each Justice should have 2 other judges as backups from lower cours. So if a Justice dies or resigns, the backup #1 (or even #2 is 1 is no longer alive) to replace and finish the 18 year term.

Having congressmen serve only 6 years will make lobbying efforts less efficient. Why would a company spend money lobbying someone if they will be gone from office soon?

We have enough qualified and honest people in this country. it's time to get a fresh perspective every few years, not have the same leaders lead us in the direction they want.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: I propose some US Constitution amendments
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: March 29, 2020 03:14PM
The SCOTUS thing can be done with a rule change propagated from the Supreme Court. No need for an amendment.

Posted by: Ombligo
Date: March 29, 2020 03:49PM
No - I hate the idea of term limits of any sort other than voting a person out of office. We have term limits and you know what happened? The lobbyists run everything. There is no institutionalized knowledge that can say why things were decided as they were.

If the people of a state or district don't like what their elected officials are doing then they can vote for someone else. While I may not like Mitch McConnell (and I don't), the people he represents will make the decision whether to reelect him or not. I respect their decision.

As for President, I also have no issue with two terms. If it was to go to one, then let it be a six-year term.

What does need to be addressed is the cost of elections and how campaigns are financed. I would like to see campaigns fully financed by the government. Candidates get a set amount for primaries, another amount for runoffs, and finally for the general. I would also like to see the soft money and PAC's removed. Doing that would remove the favoritism given to incumbents.

SCOTUS - since 1950, the average time a justice serves is 19.4 years. So what you propose really doesn't change much. It strikes me as change for the sake of change.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: March 29, 2020 04:09PM
There's nothing wrong with the Constitution. It's the Republicans acting in unified treason against the one we already have.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: March 29, 2020 04:30PM
Sarcany
The SCOTUS thing can be done with a rule change propagated from the Supreme Court. No need for an amendment.

Well, not the Chief Justice tho.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: AllGold
Date: March 29, 2020 06:00PM
Ombligo
No - I hate the idea of term limits of any sort other than voting a person out of office. We have term limits and you know what happened? The lobbyists run everything. There is no institutionalized knowledge that can say why things were decided as they were.

If the people of a state or district don't like what their elected officials are doing then they can vote for someone else. While I may not like Mitch McConnell (and I don't), the people he represents will make the decision whether to reelect him or not. I respect their decision.

As for President, I also have no issue with two terms. If it was to go to one, then let it be a six-year term.

What does need to be addressed is the cost of elections and how campaigns are financed. I would like to see campaigns fully financed by the government. Candidates get a set amount for primaries, another amount for runoffs, and finally for the general. I would also like to see the soft money and PAC's removed. Doing that would remove the favoritism given to incumbents.

SCOTUS - since 1950, the average time a justice serves is 19.4 years. So what you propose really doesn't change much. It strikes me as change for the sake of change.

I agree with you on most everything, particularly term limits. After Michigan enacted term limits for their state legislature, the lobbyists became much more powerful.

Also, all sense of political compromise and cooperation left with the experienced legislators who were forced out. Hyper-partisanship now rules.

Steve G.
There's nothing wrong with the Constitution. It's the Republicans acting in unified treason against the one we already have.

thumbs up

Posted by: space-time
Date: March 29, 2020 07:20PM
After Michigan enacted term limits for their state legislature, the lobbyists became much more powerful.

Interesting, I would have thought the opposite.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: March 29, 2020 08:31PM
space-time
After Michigan enacted term limits for their state legislature, the lobbyists became much more powerful.

Interesting, I would have thought the opposite.

It's because none of the revolving door of elected legislators have any experience or know how things are supposed to work.

Posted by: Wags
Date: March 30, 2020 08:57AM
Let’s start with a truth amendment. It’s a felony for us to lie to the government, should be one for them to lie to us.
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: March 30, 2020 09:26AM
Let’s have the country Pres Washington wanted, and do away with political parties.
Posted by: Acer
Date: March 30, 2020 09:41AM
Not a fan of term limits, unless they are really long. I appreciate institutional knowledge but there's a point of diminishing return. The machine that keeps a Senator in for forty years gains a life of its own that exceeds its value. "Thanks for your perspective, Strom, but for gosh sakes retire already."

What is needed is to codify some of the understood "gentleman's agreements" of cooperation and power separation which we have relied on, but that the Republicans and this President have abandoned.
Posted by: vision63
Date: March 30, 2020 08:39PM
I hate term limits. That's anti-freedom and anti-choice. Free and fair elections are what we should strive for.

Virtually every problem we have right now is a direct result of a century and a half of Black Voter Suppression. Kemp and DeSantis are only Governors because of suppression. Ted Cruz for the same reason. We lost 2000 due to Black voter suppression and Ralph Nader (I wonder how he lives with himself, but he does).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 188
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020