advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
One choir rehearsal. Dozens sick, 2 dead
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: March 30, 2020 11:35AM
[www.seattletimes.com]

“We were making music and trying to keep a certain distance between each other.”

After 2½ hours, the singers parted ways at 9 p.m.

Nearly three weeks later, 45 have been diagnosed with COVID-19 or ill with the symptoms, at least three have been hospitalized, and two are dead.

The outbreak has stunned county health officials, who have concluded that the virus was almost certainly transmitted through the air from one or more people without symptoms.

“That’s all we can think of right now,” said Polly Dubbel, a county communicable disease and environmental health manager.

In interviews with the Los Angeles Times, eight people who were at the rehearsal said that nobody there was coughing or sneezing or appeared ill.

Everybody came with their own sheet music and avoided direct physical contact. Some members helped set up or remove folding chairs. A few helped themselves to mandarins that had been put out on a table in back.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: One choir rehearsal. Dozens sick, 2 dead
Posted by: SteveO
Date: March 30, 2020 12:04PM
Wow. Um. Yeah. Just avoid public gatherings, whether you feel GOOD or not. We all have to get food from stores, that's obviously an exception (and many can order online to limit transmission even further).

Hopefully most people are shopping for a few weeks' supply or more to limit their exposure/contagion. Choir practice (how is this remotely necessary?!) 3 weeks ago, in Seattle, right when it was blowing up there...this is a tragically bad idea. Very sorry to see this item but not surprised at all.

IMO, this is why this virus will be with us for a long, long time with effects that make it even more devastating for everyone. People simply do not think it applies to them.
Posted by: Acer
Date: March 30, 2020 12:11PM
I went to two choir practices in the week before the week Pennsylvania started shutting down. Thankfully, our Governor had sufficient warning from the outbreak in other states to shut it all down before scenarios like this one. Or so I hope. The two-week incubation window from those rehearsals has supposedly passed.
Posted by: Wags
Date: March 30, 2020 12:56PM
I was raised as a Presbyterian and Mt. Vernon is where my mother was from. If it's 60 years old I likely was dragged in to it on a visit to the grand parents. Best of intentions does not trump science.
Posted by: space-time
Date: March 30, 2020 01:48PM
Choir practice (how is this remotely necessary?!)

These people don't believe in science, they believe in GOD.
Posted by: vision63
Date: March 30, 2020 02:03PM
"How" they inhaled the virus is the most frightening thing ever. Take the whole story and winnow it down to that. This virus can wipe us all out, then go back and get the leftovers in the other countries that have calmed it down. Delaying our reaction and response was a criminal act.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: March 30, 2020 02:33PM
One note: this choir rehearsal happened around 3 weeks ago. There were very few groups limiting meetings then anywhere in the country.

Think about how much spray comes out of your mouth when you are singing. Then they folded chairs, had shared snacks, passed around sheet music. Not hard to see how it may have happened. I would guess some hugging and handshaking when on too.
Posted by: bfd
Date: March 30, 2020 02:46PM
At the beginning of March, we were at a 4-day Basketball Tournament with thousands of others at the Thomas & Mack in Las Vegas. SMFHN
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: March 30, 2020 03:12PM
I was at a caucus meeting with about 100 people just a few weeks ago. We were not practicing social distancing, even if we were not shaking hands.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: March 30, 2020 04:35PM
......how big was the cauc......................us.....???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: michaelb
Date: March 30, 2020 05:15PM
3 weeks ago is a long time. March 3 was super tuesday, and I was at Bernie's rally with 1000s of other people including obviously everyone working on his campaign that had been traveling all over the country. So what we perceive as a risk now doesn't really hold up to then.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 217
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018