advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Biden calls dismissal of Navy captain 'close to criminal'
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: April 05, 2020 02:17PM
Biden calls dismissal of Navy captain 'close to criminal'

In his interview on ABC Biden also weighed in on the controversial dismissal of Navy Captain Brett Crozier, calling it “close to criminal”.

Crozier was removed from his command after he wrote a memo about concerns for his crew on an aircraft carrier with coronavirus cases aboard. Donald Trump on Saturday slammed Crozier for writing the letter.

“It’s close to criminal the way they’re dealing with this guy,” Biden said Sunday. “The idea that this man stood up and said what had to be said, got it out that his troops, his Navy personnel were in danger. ... Look how many have the virus. I think...he should have a commendation rather than be fired.”
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Biden calls dismissal of Navy captain 'close to criminal'
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: April 05, 2020 02:22PM
The Navy captain who was removed from command of a coronavirus-stricken aircraft carrier after requesting more help for his sailors has tested positive for Covid-19. According to the New York Times.
Posted by: GGD
Date: April 05, 2020 02:26PM
It seems so odd that the ones who are always claiming to "support our troops", are against trying to prevent a ship full of "troops" from unnecessarily dying.
Posted by: Acer
Date: April 05, 2020 03:01PM
What have we learned?
1. The Acting Secretary of the Navy ignoring a dangerous lack of readiness in order to maintain the administration "message" is perfectly fine.
2. Revealing that the Acting Secretary of the Navy is ignoring a dangerous lack of readiness will end your career.
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: April 05, 2020 03:05PM
Are there or are there not whistle-blower protection laws?
Posted by: JoeH
Date: April 05, 2020 04:10PM
S. Pupp
Are there or are there not whistle-blower protection laws?

Unfortunately they do not cover members of the military as far as I know.
Posted by: steve...
Date: April 05, 2020 05:13PM

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2020 05:48PM by steve....
Posted by: Racer X
Date: April 05, 2020 10:09PM
It's not that he asked for help, it's that he sent it as unsecured e-mail and CC'd a LOT of people who weren't in the proper chain of command.

He did the right thing in my opinion, but did it in the wrong way.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Posted by: Mr Downtown
Date: April 06, 2020 12:14PM
Yeah, I was ready to add Capt. Crozier to the body count for Protecting Dear Leader's Ego . . . but then I read more about what exactly he'd done. It's one thing to go outside channels, or to sidestep an unresponsive chain of command . . . but he sent an email to a bunch of his old academy classmates and not (according to his superiors) to those who had any power to solve the problem.

Until I learn more, I think the Captain was somewhat irresponsible in his strategic judgment, and I think some in the Navy were overworried about "what will Dear Leader say?"
Posted by: Acer
Date: April 06, 2020 04:23PM
It's not clear what he did before he sent The Letter in question. The implication is that he went through channels and said channels ignored him, so he went scorched earth. He and his sailors were out of time to wait for the brass to act. I have been waiting for details on what came before, but I have not seen them yet. I'm inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt, given the man was captain of fricken' aircraft carrier. You don't get that posting not knowing how proper channels work.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2020 04:25PM by Acer.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: April 06, 2020 10:12PM
More to the point, if the message within a scorched earth method is accurate, placing a priority on procedure is the true error. This is the top-most brass (and civilian, at that) being embarrassed and needing a scapegoat.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 272
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018