advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
sorry, please move: Florida governor's office wants to hide elderly Covid-19 deaths and infectins
Posted by: Sam3
Date: April 13, 2020 05:57AM
I'm so sorry, this was meant for the other side. Please move it, if possible...

DeSantis had his office pressured the Miami Herald's law firm to stop a Miami Herald drafted suit seeking ALF records. The law firm stopped the filing.

[www.miamiherald.com]

Miami Herald
For about two weeks, DeSantis’ office has refused to release information about where long-term care residents and staff have been exposed to the contagious infection despite repeated requests from journalists and elder advocates. The governor’s office initially named only one facility: Atria Willow Wood, a 180-bed ALF in Fort Lauderdale where at least six residents have died.

So now the Republicans want to hide the impact of SARS-CoVid-2 from the general population.

The arts are not luxuries but assets that give way more than they cost.
--Ronald Tucker on YouTube

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open.
--Frank Zappa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2020 07:32AM by Sam3.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Florida governors office wants to hide elderly Covid-19 deaths and infectins
Posted by: Racer X
Date: April 13, 2020 06:36AM
All Republicans? Really?

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Re: Florida governors office wants to hide elderly Covid-19 deaths and infectins
Posted by: deckeda
Date: April 13, 2020 06:44AM
Oh but you misunderstand. Revealing bad news makes a situation look bad. We need to all put on our happy face. DO YOUR PART.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2020 06:44AM by deckeda.
Date: April 13, 2020 06:50AM
Racer X
All Republicans? Really?

Perhaps that’s a reasonable speculation based off of the known behaviors of the group as a whole, who yes by and large have indeed taken direction and attitudes about Covid-19 from The Boss.
Date: April 13, 2020 06:53AM
I sure haven't. I have immense respect for the office of the President, just not the current user of the Resolute desk.

Perhaps you have forgotten it was a Republican President and a Republican Congress who outlawed slavery, against the wishes of the Democrats.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2020 07:07AM by Racer X.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: April 13, 2020 07:29AM
Racer X
Perhaps you have forgotten it was a Republican President and a Republican Congress who outlawed slavery, against the wishes of the Democrats.

The only thing the two parties have in common with the parties of the 19th century are the names. The two have both philosophical switched places. The Southern Democrat went Republican after Johnson pushed through the Civil Rights Act.

Calling the Republican Party the party of Lincoln is a half-truth at best.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Date: April 13, 2020 07:30AM
No I haven’t forgotten. What I do know is that labels don’t matter in the long run. Ideologies do, especially when the two sides swap them out of convenience and expediency in the moment. So please, I probably don’t need to be reminded of “the party of Lincoln” because that currently resides with a different group.

So that brings us back to the topic of who wants only happier news published by the Herald and who does not.
Date: April 13, 2020 07:32AM
I want the truth published. Happy or not. Integrity is disappearing in business and politics by the minute. And the press IS a business.

Posted by: STL
Date: April 13, 2020 07:34AM
and perhaps you have forgotten the Republican party of today in no way resembles the Republican party of 1865.
and perhaps you have also forgotten the Democrats of those days were the Dixiecrats of the 1940's, succeeded from the Democratic party in 1948 in opposition to the parties policy of extending civil rights, later joining the Republican party as part of Nixon's Southern Strategy which is still core to today's Republican party..

just perhaps
Date: April 13, 2020 07:35AM
And so, DeSantis.

One way to look at this is that he’s an outlier within his party, and so his politics is irrelevant. Are his attitudes about any of this unique? Would they be, based on past behavior?

Or is better and more productive to forget him and ask ourselves why any governor would want to do what he’s done here? I’d prefer that, but keep in mind that at some point you can’t ignore the backdrop behind anyone’s motives might be or worse, pretend they don’t or would not exist.
Date: April 13, 2020 07:36AM
Racer X
I want the truth published. Happy or not. Integrity is disappearing in business and politics by the minute. And the press IS a business.

Since you curiously brought it up, which side does the Herald fall on, poor integrity or truth seeking, and why?
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: April 13, 2020 07:43AM
deckeda
Oh but you misunderstand. Revealing bad news makes a situation look bad. We need to all put on our happy face. DO YOUR PART.

...And get to work!

(In years to come, we're gonna find that the number of reported infections and deaths was off by a factor... and the news will come so late that it will barely keep up for a 24hr news cycle.)

Re: sorry, please move: Florida governor's office wants to hide elderly Covid-19 deaths and infectins
Posted by: DP
Date: April 13, 2020 07:53AM
But it's OK for Dems to hold up badly needed legislation to give Americans money to pay their bills and keep food on the table to push their own agenda, like that utterly idiotic Green New Deal.

So compassionate...

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: April 13, 2020 08:08AM
Racer X

I can't believe you hauled that one out of the garbage.
Date: April 13, 2020 08:26AM
Steve G.
Racer X

Some historical facts are inconvenient.

Posted by: Sarcany
Date: April 13, 2020 08:41AM
Racer X
Steve G.
Racer X

Some facts are ancient history.

Re: sorry, please move: Florida governor's office wants to hide elderly Covid-19 deaths and infectins
Posted by: modelamac
Date: April 13, 2020 09:12AM
Most of those "ancient facts" are irrelevant for the OP's subject. The question: Is the governor wrong to do this, or what?

Gonna ask my Mother if that offer to slap
me into next year is still on the table.
Posted by: srf1957
Date: April 13, 2020 09:30AM
Not any different than the the lying governor of Oregon. Says she bought tests 2 weeks before she even ordered them . Then stockpiled them for future use . Oregon health service stopped giving reports because they said they couldn't rely on data . They could do 40 tests at a time at state lab. workers got their at 9:00. set 40 tests took 4 hours to run. Then they went home at. 4:00 pm having run 40 tests .
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: April 13, 2020 09:49AM
From the top down, politicians and government workers have been told it is perfectly alright to lie and call anything that contradicts those lies "Fake."

DeSantis understands that and is far more adept at it than most others (especially those in the White House). But make no mistake, DeSantis is so far up Trump's rear that he can see what the president's next meal will be.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: April 13, 2020 10:59AM
Racer X

Please explain the salience of this fact in considering the acts of today's GOP. Thank you and, with a nod to vision63 - please show your work.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: tuqqer
Date: April 13, 2020 11:24AM
I live in Florida, and that's just how we roll, man.

Mac Pro 2013 3.7GHz Quad-Core, 32G RAM Catalina 10.15.x Dual 25" Acer 1440p LCDs11" i5 MacBook Air
Posted by: Ted King
Date: April 13, 2020 11:36AM
srf1957
Not any different than the the lying governor of Oregon. Says she bought tests 2 weeks before she even ordered them . Then stockpiled them for future use . Oregon health service stopped giving reports because they said they couldn't rely on data . They could do 40 tests at a time at state lab. workers got their at 9:00. set 40 tests took 4 hours to run. Then they went home at. 4:00 pm having run 40 tests .

Yeah, Governor Brown has not done a very good job with the coronavirus pandemic. (Fortunately the people of Oregon - especially in the People's Republic of Portland - have taken social distancing very seriously.) But... how did we find out about what you mentioned above? It was through a public information request by a news organization. A public information request that was fulfilled - which is the exact opposite of what the DeSantis administration is doing in Florida. So, the two situations are very different with respect to the issue brought up in the OP.
Posted by: jonny
Date: April 13, 2020 12:08PM
Ted King
srf1957

Yeah, Governor Brown has not done a very good job with the coronavirus pandemic. (Fortunately the people of Oregon - especially in the People's Republic of Portland - have taken social distancing very seriously.) But... how did we find out about what you mentioned above? It was through a public information request by a news organization. A public information request that was fulfilled - which is the exact opposite of what the DeSantis administration is doing in Florida. So, the two situations are very different with respect to the issue brought up in the OP.
agree smiley
Posted by: August West
Date: April 13, 2020 12:16PM
Ted King
srf1957

smiley-score010

Picasso in his studio after the liberation of Paris, taken by my friend and mentor.

Date: April 13, 2020 12:19PM

I have immense respect for the office of the President, just not the current user of the Resolute desk.

Very weak sauce if you support the Republican Party. Like so many on that team.

Picasso in his studio after the liberation of Paris, taken by my friend and mentor.

Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: April 13, 2020 12:26PM
Did something in Oregon happen, regarding COVID tests, besides this?

[katu.com]

Because if this is it, I have a difficult time seeing how that squares with "Gov Brown is not doing a good job" managing the outbreak in her state.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2020 12:27PM by Lemon Drop.
Date: April 13, 2020 12:54PM
Ted King
srf1957

It’s a good illustration of how the press can uncover things inconvenient to politicians, right? In that sense it is directly related here, which is probably why srf1957 mentioned it. Or perhaps srf1957 wanted to portray the Democratic Governor in Oregon (gasp!) as being “just as bad, so why is DeSantis a problem here??”

If the latter is your stance srf1957, I’m sure you realize it’s a whataboutism that ignores the issue about DeSantis. I’m not clear on why or how “fixing” one politico must be done before another is considered wrong. That’s the Original Sin argument, that *nothing* can be done about anything because someone always was the first to cut down the proverbial cherry tree and then feed apples to Eve. (Sort of mixing metaphors there.)

It’s like wanting to make Congressional Democrats accept Congressional Republican funding before discussing if any governor’s action. I’m not seeing the connection there, either.

... DeSantis should see his block blocked by whatever endless stream of law firms the Herald chooses to hire. And I suppose the Herald can keep reporting about at until they “run out ink” (historically an unsafe bet, of course.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2020 12:57PM by deckeda.
Posted by: Ted King
Date: April 13, 2020 12:58PM
Lemon Drop
Did something in Oregon happen, regarding COVID tests, besides this?

[katu.com]

Because if this is it, I have a difficult time seeing how that squares with "Gov Brown is not doing a good job" managing the outbreak in her state.

Maybe I'm biased because I thought she should have been more pro-active earlier. This article has some of the criticisms that were expressed (Oregon Public Broadcasting, March 13):

[www.opb.org]
Date: April 13, 2020 12:58PM
August West

I have immense respect for the office of the President, just not the current user of the Resolute desk.

Very weak sauce if you support the Republican Party. Like so many on that team.

How the EFF does saying that kind of thing to anyone help ... anything?
Posted by: RgrF
Date: April 13, 2020 01:49PM
It's called FUD . It's the path administration supporters almost always choose, that and their 'alternative truth' assertions.
Date: April 13, 2020 03:29PM
Because I am sick and tired of Republican supporters disowning Trump. The Republican party put him in office and I, for one, am sick and tired of the many rationales of respecting the office but disowning the Republican president's actions. I won't forget their actions. Sorry if you find that so off-putting.

Posted by: btfc
Date: April 13, 2020 04:59PM
More re: Oregon

[www.oregonlive.com]
Posted by: Speedy
Date: April 13, 2020 10:05PM
DP
But it's OK for Dems to hold up badly needed legislation to give Americans money to pay their bills and keep food on the table to push their own agenda, like that utterly idiotic Green New Deal.

So compassionate...

Uh, the Democrats are not holding it up, the Republicans are. The Democrats want to go forward with help small businesses but the Republicans are using this bill to push their agenda, like blocking additional funding for hospitals, state and local governments and food stamp recipients.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 126
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018