advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Maybe he could be charged with treason?
Posted by: Harbourmaster
Date: April 17, 2020 01:11PM
Despite suffering from obvious brain damage...

Trump appears to back those protesting social distancing measures

One day after Trump reportedly told governors they would "call the shots" in determining when to lift social distancing guidelines in their states, Trump heightened tensions between demonstrators and the Democratic governors in Minnesota, Michigan and Virginia.

"LIBERATE MINNESOTA!" Trump tweeted, followed quickly by a call to "LIBERATE MICHIGAN!"

"LIBERATE VIRGINIA, and save your great 2nd Amendment. It is under siege!" Trump tweeted, a reference to the state's expanded background checks and limits on gun purchases signed into law last week.

It sure looks like his goal is to destroy the country!

[thehill.com]

Aloha, Ken

“I have developed significant attachments to several members even though I wouldn't recognize them if I sat next to one on a park bench. I'm often tempted when in an airport to walk around, hollering "The Løpe", to see if anyone other than the Homeland Security people will acknowledge me. ” - The Løpe
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Maybe he could be charged with treason?
Posted by: pdq
Date: April 17, 2020 01:25PM
If he wants to stand with the Confederate flag and assault rifle waving know-nothing nutty rabble, I think that’s great. Get video please. We can all use it later.

Minnesota currently has one of the lowest Covid infection rates per capita in the country, and I think most people like it that way.
Posted by: hal
Date: April 17, 2020 01:25PM
Treason?? How about inciting riot?
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: April 17, 2020 01:59PM
I believe the term you are looking for is 'sedition'.
conduct or speech inciting people to rebel against the authority of a state or monarch.
Posted by: samintx
Date: April 17, 2020 02:59PM
I would like to see the pillory come back in style. Old Fogette
Posted by: vision63
Date: April 17, 2020 03:19PM
hal
Treason?? How about inciting riot?

This is precisely what he's doing. Desperate dog.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: April 17, 2020 03:22PM
samintx
I would like to see the pillory come back in style. Old Fogette

If the American criminal-legal system could do anything without doing it racist, this wouldn't be a half bad idea. That being said, maybe we could loosen our grip on the vengeance knob long enough to pay attention to all the people he has harmed, many of whom would prefer help to retaliation.

Edit: Suzanne, I got off track up there but I want to be clear that I think the pillory would be a great way to make consequences public, humiliating, and socially costly...which is something folks like Cheeto are usually immune from.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2020 03:23PM by rjmacs.
Posted by: Harbourmaster
Date: April 17, 2020 03:33PM
Steve G.
I believe the term you are looking for is 'sedition'.
conduct or speech inciting people to rebel against the authority of a state or monarch.

Indeed Sedition is the word I should have used.

Aloha, Ken

“I have developed significant attachments to several members even though I wouldn't recognize them if I sat next to one on a park bench. I'm often tempted when in an airport to walk around, hollering "The Løpe", to see if anyone other than the Homeland Security people will acknowledge me. ” - The Løpe
Posted by: Acer
Date: April 17, 2020 03:56PM
Presidents don't say that kind of crap. Ass.
Posted by: davester
Date: April 17, 2020 04:38PM
The media is too timid. The headlines should be "Donald Trump pretends to support a safe methods of re-opening of the economy then reverses himself by inciting riots opposing use of those safe methods in three states."

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: pdq
Date: April 17, 2020 05:22PM
I think it's convenient that two of the three states are the home states of Amy K and Gretchen Witmer, both of whom have been mentioned as possible running mates for Biden.

Just sayin.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: April 17, 2020 06:40PM
Acer

He's political down to his toenails, he's also become a true cult figure to his followers. We are on treacherous ground here folks, if he pulls the plug on this - we could see some serious civil unrest.
Posted by: bfd
Date: April 17, 2020 07:32PM
RgrF
Acer

He's political down to his toenails, he's also become a true cult figure to his followers. We are on treacherous ground here folks, if he pulls the plug on this - we could see some serious civil unrest.

… it might just be what's needed to finally push these anti-American assclowns all the way off the reservation.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: April 17, 2020 08:18PM
Whole new level of crazy enabled by the usual suspects:

Laura Ingraham:"How many of those who urged our govt to liberate the Iraqis, Syrians, Kurds, Afghanis, etc., are as committed now to liberating Virginia, Minnesota, California, etc.?"

Has she lost her f&cking mind?
Posted by: hal
Date: April 17, 2020 08:46PM
yes
Posted by: deckeda
Date: April 17, 2020 10:38PM
davester
The media is too timid.

I have frequently felt the same.

davester
The headlines should be "Donald Trump pretends to support a safe methods of re-opening of the economy then reverses himself by inciting riots opposing use of those safe methods in three states."

That’s not journalism. At best it’s opinion because “pretends” and “incites” aren’t facts, no matter how much we know them to be true-enough.

"Donald Trump says he supports safe methods of re-opening of the economy then contradicts himself by supporting protesters.”

Now you can include relevant examples, but this still leans a bit toward an opinion piece because why would anyone publish a story that looks like you’re complaining? The contradiction alone isn’t a news event, unless ... you strip it all away and leave only the contradiction, plainly.

“Trump supports both safe re-opening and those who protest against it.”

Boom. This leaves the obvious contradiction to plop with a thud. No ambiguity or room for opinion (hopefully). And all you have to do is write a short piece with a few relevant quotes. No exposition that would be interpreted as opinion is necessary. It would be a brief filed among other small factoids such as what shows up in WaPo’s Live Updates feed. Not “a news event” in and of itself but still worthy of note.

Back when there were newspapers they’d hire people to do nothing but write headlines and they go through a few iterations sometimes throughout the day for top stories. It’s called big hed (large font size headline) writing.

We’d see this as archivists, some of how a page would evolve as copies became available early in the evening. If you were desperate for text to archive because the system crapped we could actually go and find the Adobe InCopy file they were working on. It was wacky that our little department was one of the few who had extended user permissions to touch the pagination and publishing software, files, and network. Hey, I coulda written my own major daily newspaper! (before fleeing the city)

Once the page layout was set, the placeholder boilerplate text would get added, and for the headline space it’d be some version of HEDDY GOES HEEEREE ... an obvious “mistake” that would not survive copyediting and go to print while the actual headline was still being considered (but Google newspaper gaffes for examples to the contrary.)
Date: April 17, 2020 10:40PM
Lemon Drop
Whole new level of crazy enabled by the usual suspects:

Laura Ingraham:"How many of those who urged our govt to liberate the Iraqis, Syrians, Kurds, Afghanis, etc., are as committed now to liberating Virginia, Minnesota, California, etc.?"

Has she lost her f&cking mind?

No!

It's part and parcel of the agenda. The only possible hope they have of surviving the disaster that is this mal-administration of our federal government is to attack, to divide and conquer.

If that strategy fails they face an electoral wipe out of some proportion. That of course presumes Uncle Joe doesn't unravel between now and November.
Posted by: Ted King
Date: April 17, 2020 10:52PM
He is trying to set himself to win no matter how things go by massively lying. Him not getting away with that is a crucial challenge of values for us.
Date: April 17, 2020 11:26PM
He's taken what would be a death knell for any previous politician (serial lying) and turned it completely on it's head. He has a cult-like following that's contained in it's own bubble and impervious to reason.

This sort of following has happened within our political system before* but never on this scale. He has an unbreakable hold on almost 40% of the vote thus only needs to move the needle a bit - any major event that unsettles people could provide that bit.

*He's James Michael Curley, Huey Long, George Wallace and Richard Daley writ large
Posted by: deckeda
Date: April 18, 2020 07:57AM
I think it’s fair to add that “his followers” include every conservative who dislikes him —- by quite a lot oftentimes —- but who remains QUIET.

And it often feels like it’s most of them, but for the occasional political pundit who will speak up yet remain oblivious to their decades’ worth of complicity that brought us to this point in time.

This silence increases his effective support, which includes a large chunk of the electorate willing to wait out any disaster coming from the White House, rather than do anything about it. This is what happens when you’re convinced “all govt is bad anyway, my vote never matters, so what’s the big deal? I’ll just wait until MY vote has a direct impact. Mine alone.”

To that I’d say, we have a way for your vote to directly “count” ... Just never vote and complete the disconnect from society, because you’re essentially doing that already. The rest of us would appreciate not propping up corrupt regimes like Trump’s. Fair deal?

If on the other hand you have a better idea than Trump, SHARE that idea. Vocally and online. Over and over again. Become engaged in the process, lest you piss away your chance. Don’t wait for “other conservative” to meekly step forward. They need you, and for God’s sake so does every liberal.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 200
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018