advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Planet of the Humans
Posted by: RgrF
Date: April 22, 2020 07:52PM
A Green New Deal through a different prism*.

*best avoided if you're taking any sort of anti-depressants.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Planet of the Humans
Posted by: gabester
Date: April 22, 2020 11:16PM
Fascinating. I watched a few minutes, and I understand the "anti-green" argument... but it's one thing to say "just keep using fossil fuels" or "switch to green energy" it's entirely something else to say "even green energy is reliant on fossil fuels" and not present any actual alternatives, besides the implicit "consume less." Maybe there's a more positive message in there somewhere later than what I watched through?
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: April 22, 2020 11:50PM
cough*nuclear*cough

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: April 23, 2020 12:11AM
Thank you. My grandfather was correct: just conserve what you have. It's why I keep 20 year old Volvos running.
Date: April 23, 2020 06:55AM
gabester
Fascinating. I watched a few minutes, and I understand the "anti-green" argument... but it's one thing to say "just keep using fossil fuels" or "switch to green energy" it's entirely something else to say "even green energy is reliant on fossil fuels" and not present any actual alternatives, besides the implicit "consume less." Maybe there's a more positive message in there somewhere later than what I watched through?

Try lasting throughout, the stunners are in the closing credits.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: April 23, 2020 10:56AM
Filliam H. Muffman
cough*nuclear*cough

cough *ZPG* cough
Posted by: Ted King
Date: April 28, 2020 11:22AM
I didn't watch the whole thing because after awhile I had a growing feeling that there was some significant cherry-picking going on. I didn't respond in this thread then because I didn't have enough background information to make anything like an informed comment. But I still felt skeptical of many assertions in the film.

Today I read an article by a professor at UC Santa Barbara that is a pretty scathing rebuke of many of the assertions made in the film:

[www.vox.com]

Of course, I still don't have enough knowledge to make a very well informed analysis of her assertions either. It could very well just be confirmation bias, but I think the professor makes some valid criticisms of the film.
Date: April 28, 2020 12:12PM
There's obviously something going on here. The author is savaging the film while the film was savaging aspects of the 'green' movement.

I also don't have the depth to distinguish but unless the film outright lied, the claim at the end credits that they forced policy changes with the Sierra Club and others. While she seems to be nominating Bill McKibben for environmental sainthood, the film claims he also did an about face after seeing a preview.

Maybe it represents some sort of environment activist fratricide? (what's a gender neutral term for fratricide?)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 221
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018