advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Birx: Happy Days Will Be Here Soon, But The Media Isn't Telling You That.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: April 26, 2020 09:09AM
Copied from WaPo's little Live Updates briefs, a story about a story. I won't watch the "original [propaganda] reporting" it came from.

Deborah Birx, the response coordinator for the White House’s coronavirus task force, said on Saturday night that she expects the number of coronavirus deaths in the United States to go way down by the end of next month.

“We believe that both hospitalizations, the ICU need and frankly, the number of people who have succumbed to this disease, will be dramatically decreased by the end of May,” she said in an interview with Fox News host Jesse Watters.

[www.youtube.com]

Hold up. Jesse Watters? What were we just saying about credibility, and of lending your name to it?

Birx, one of the nation’s leading infectious disease experts, said that even though she believes deaths and hospitalizations will decrease, that might not be the situation when it comes to coronavirus cases. She said she thinks increased testing to the general public would find additional cases in people who are either asymptomatic or show very mild symptoms.

So the eye-catching claim made a second ago comes with a caveat. Thanks? Then what was the reason for coming on Fox News ... oh, wait.

Birx also criticized the media coverage in the United States during the pandemic, specifically taking aim at how outlets have framed headlines in their coverage of the public health crisis.

Headlines such as the kind that paint rosy pictures but that still contain the same caveats as before? Those kinds of headlines?

“I think the media is very slicey and dicey about how they put sentences together in order to create headlines,” said Birx, who was pictured above a chyron that read, “Birx: The media isn’t always fair.” “I think we have to be responsible about our headlines,” she said.

You don't say. Do tell. Who would ever do that, amirite?

She believed that while “often the reporting may be accurate in paragraph three, four and five … I’m not sure how many people get to paragraph three, four and five.”

“I think the responsibility that the press has is to ensure that the headlines reflect the science and data that is in their piece itself,” she said.

Sorry, but any Trump official who spends any oxygen criticizing "the media" on Fox News is 100% not worth my time looking to for leadership. I don't care what her bonafides are, if she isn't going to use them. I don't care what good she's been able to scrape off of the president's bathroom floor and present as palatable via milquetoast refutations sent through the gauze.

We are at a point where you're hopefully part of the solution or verifiably part of the problem. People change, and Birx is rapidly headed in the wrong direction of worthlessness.

Trump could sideline her completely and prop up a proper sycophant and the message would now be basically the same.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2020 09:10AM by deckeda.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Birx: Happy Days Will Be Here Soon, But The Media Isn't Telling You That.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: April 26, 2020 09:36AM
I listened to the entire 6:36 that you linked above.

I didn't hear anything factually incorrect or inappropriate in what she said.

What did you hear that's factually incorrect?

Dr. Birx has not changed, I'm sorry but that is petty BS. She's not the one to criticize and vote out of office. She's been speaking on behalf of public health work across the globe for a long time. She knows what she is doing and we need her. (Yeah the Fox audience needs to hear from her too. I appreciate her telling people to try to be better informed on science and their own health and read beyond headlines, isn't that good??)

Calling her a sycophant is reactionary left wing BS. She's doing her job; her career is made and she's not in this to enrich herself. She's a servant. I'm not sure people know how to recognize those anymore because they are so wrapped up in political games. Not everything in the world is that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2020 09:39AM by Lemon Drop.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: April 26, 2020 10:11AM
Call me a cynic but the Secretary of HHS was in trouble even before appointing the Labradoodle guy, she's making a strong run at succeeding him.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2020 10:28AM by RgrF.
Date: April 26, 2020 10:46AM
Also the OP title mischaracterizes her comments, completely.

She never says "happy days will be here soon" or anything like that.

Fox anyone?
Date: April 26, 2020 10:50AM
Trump has never put anyone that good in his cabinet. That would be a shocking first if she were to be offered and accept such a very short term post. (Over Jan. 2021)
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: April 26, 2020 11:51AM
LD, you are bending over backwards way too far to defend Birx. You’re going to injure yourself.

“... I think he just saw that information at the time immediately before the press conference and he was still digesting that information.”

About which he later described his questions as not serious, just intentionally “sarcastic”. She notably makes no comments on that!

“The president has always put health and safety first.”

Is that your honest evaluation of his actions and statements?
Posted by: deckeda
Date: April 26, 2020 11:59AM
Jesse Watters and Fox News remain non-credible platforms. Guests instantly lose credibility no matter what they say. Ignore that at one's peril.

Birx's admonition that "the media" is unreliable or spinning what is said is FUD at best, and a lie at worst. That tired storyline is textbook conservative B.S., not informational in any way.

This "OP" remains unconvinced as to Birx' sainthood these days.
Posted by: hal
Date: April 26, 2020 03:05PM
Is everyone a saint or a villain?

Maybe she could be someone in an insanely difficult position doing the best she can while being neither saint nor villain. She is immensely qualified for her job.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: April 26, 2020 04:50PM
hal
She is immensely qualified for her job.

That she is.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: RgrF
Date: April 26, 2020 05:15PM
She's military to her core and only responsive to those in the chain of command. She'll never speak out against a superior notwithstanding the lives lost due to erroneous decisions.

Her medical oath is superseded by her military oath.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: April 26, 2020 07:48PM
And another example...

[youtu.be]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 206
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020