Date: April 26, 2020 11:25AM
This is nuts.

(NYT warning)

[www.nytimes.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Trump ordering 1,000 cadets to return for his insane graduation speech
Posted by: Lizabeth
Date: April 26, 2020 12:08PM
I think they ought to refuse to return as a group.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: April 26, 2020 12:20PM
Yes, nuts. As nutty as the plan to reopen Liberty University. When he hears they'll be sitting 8 feet apart and no audience will be there, plus a number of them will probably be excused if they have vulnerable parents at home, he may decide the "look" isn't quite what he's after for a 2020 campaign ad.

General Williams said in a telephone interview that returning seniors would be tested off-campus for the coronavirus. Those who test negative will then be sent to the school, where they will be monitored for 14 days before graduation. While the campus has enough dormitory rooms for the 1,000 seniors, General Williams said that he was still deciding whether seniors would share bedrooms on their return.

“All 1,000 of them will not intermix,” he said. “They’ll be in their rooms. They’ll have their masks on. Groups will be segregated in the mess hall when they eat.”
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: April 26, 2020 12:20PM

I hear they get Supreme Court sox for attending
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: April 26, 2020 12:26PM
It seems like this came up after Pence did a solo speech for the Air Force Academy and Trump presumably got jealous.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: April 26, 2020 12:44PM
Lizabeth

That is called a mutiny, not exactly the best start to a military career.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: April 26, 2020 01:05PM
…Mr. Trump told reporters that he would be speaking at the West Point graduation in the near future, noting that he did not like the look of a socially distanced graduation and that he hoped the “look” of the ceremony would be “nice and tight.”

Posted by: Ammo
Date: April 26, 2020 01:33PM
Sarcany
…Mr. Trump told reporters that he would be speaking at the West Point graduation in the near future, noting that he did not like the look of a socially distanced graduation and that he hoped the “look” of the ceremony would be “nice and tight.”

It’s always about appearances with this guy. Do you think he’ll take time to be nice and tight with the students after the speech?

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass

Until you make your unconscious conscious, it will direct your life and you will call it fate. - Carl Jung
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: April 26, 2020 01:43PM
Ammo
Sarcany

It’s always about appearances with this guy. Do you think he’ll take time to be nice and tight with the students after the speech?

The women, yes.

Posted by: Lizabeth
Date: April 26, 2020 04:34PM
Ombligo
Lizabeth

Okay then sue if any of them come down with the virus instead.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: April 26, 2020 05:23PM
.....like Nick Jonas.......he still....gets.....jealous.......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: RgrF
Date: April 26, 2020 05:33PM
Lizabeth
Ombligo
Lizabeth

Okay then sue if any of them come down with the virus instead.

By signing into to the Academy they have waived all rights to personal expression. Not to mention that it destroys a career before it's even launched. If you want freedom of speech, you don't look to the military. It's like expecting Colonel Brix to correct or oppose her Commander-In-Chief - not gonna happen.
Posted by: samintx
Date: April 26, 2020 10:56PM
And they didn’t even ask him to speak at the Academy...he just wanted to make the rounds. Campaign you knowbanghead smiley
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: April 27, 2020 07:28AM
Insane with everybody else in the military under a no travel order until the end of June.

Glad my kid missed him by a year.
Posted by: Janit
Date: April 27, 2020 09:02AM
Makes me wonder whether anyone outside of the military could have standing to sue for an injunction to stop this.

I hope the ACLU is strategizing about how to make enough fuss to get this canceled.

Like does "the American people" have a right to protect the lives of our future military officers, and prevent the needless deaths of 10% of these future officers? Does the President really have to power to sacrifice these young people to COVID-19 for the sake of his ego.

I know, I know, hyperbole to the nth degree, but PR is what it's all about.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: April 27, 2020 09:57AM
I hope you're right Janit and something can be done to follow the Academy's original wish, which was to not have an in-person ceremony. The Army is doing their best to follow the restrictions of the state in which they are located. The fact that they are 60 miles from New York City is important. How many of the parents want their graduate to travel to that area now?? Different than the Air Force Academy situation although Colorado has a pretty good outbreak going too.

If 45 likes the look of cadets sitting 8 feet apart and all wearing face masks (the academy's requirement) then he's going for an interesting campaign ad.

The U.S. Military Academy has extended the Public Health Emergency aligned with the State of New York and surrounding counties. This declaration reflects the severity of the danger facing our community. Our current operations have focused on protecting the force. Our goal is mitigating the spread of the virus by following recommended preventive measures such as social distancing, frequent hand washing and avoiding close contact with sick individuals.

The Class of 2020 graduation ceremony will be June 13. The ceremony will look different from recent graduation ceremonies because of current social health force protection measures. Decisions regarding family attendance and the scope of the ceremony will be forthcoming and based on the safety of our cadets and the entire West Point community. We will ensure a broadcast of the ceremony is available for viewing.

[www.westpoint.edu]
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: April 27, 2020 12:41PM
Lemon Drop
If 45 likes the look of cadets sitting 8 feet apart and all wearing face masks (the academy's requirement) then he's going for an interesting campaign ad.

Even better will be the follow-up photo spread of the graduates who get covid-19 later, masked at graduation in one pic, masked in a hospital bed in the next...

cursing smiley

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: Ted King
Date: April 27, 2020 04:22PM
It's disgusting that this disgusting behavior is not anywhere near the most disgusting behavior he has exhibited within the last few days.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: April 27, 2020 04:57PM
Aside from the death part, the logistics are insane.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: April 27, 2020 06:56PM
Ombligo
Lizabeth

It's just insubordination.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: April 27, 2020 07:05PM
Which is also ends a career.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 117
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018