advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
More good news from the vaccine front
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: April 27, 2020 02:36PM
It's increasingly clear that multiple companies/organizations around the world will produce safe, effective vaccines for COVID-19, and we're going to need them all.

At the moment the group at Jenner Institute, Oxford appears to be winning the race to be first, with promising test results in monkeys:

[www.nytimes.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: More good news from the vaccine front
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: April 27, 2020 02:53PM
Encouraging news.

(Should I put off my disinfectant shot?)
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: April 27, 2020 02:59PM
Lemon Drop
At the moment the group at Jenner Institute, Oxford appears to be winning the race to be first, with promising test results in monkeys...

Yes, very promising. One of the "real" (classic) vaccines. Probably available throughout Europe and Asia when they've got it nailed.

But not the United States.

But the team has not yet reached an agreement with a North American manufacturer, in part because the major pharmaceutical companies there typically demand exclusive worldwide rights before investing in a potential medicine.

“I personally don’t believe that in a time of pandemic there should be exclusive licenses,” Professor Hill said. “So we are asking a lot of them. Nobody is going to make a lot of money off this.”

Posted by: rjmacs
Date: April 27, 2020 04:12PM
Sarcany
“I personally don’t believe that in a time of pandemic there should be exclusive licenses,” Professor Hill said. “So we are asking a lot of them. Nobody is going to make a lot of money off this.”[/i]

Said like someone with no sense of the REAL market of life and death.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: April 27, 2020 06:11PM
Sarcany
Lemon Drop
At the moment the group at Jenner Institute, Oxford appears to be winning the race to be first, with promising test results in monkeys...

Yes, very promising. One of the "real" (classic) vaccines. Probably available throughout Europe and Asia when they've got it nailed.

But not the United States.

But the team has not yet reached an agreement with a North American manufacturer, in part because the major pharmaceutical companies there typically demand exclusive worldwide rights before investing in a potential medicine.

“I personally don’t believe that in a time of pandemic there should be exclusive licenses,” Professor Hill said. “So we are asking a lot of them. Nobody is going to make a lot of money off this.”

I don't conclude from that that no North American manufacturer would produce this vaccine, they just haven't signed on yet which makes sense given the early stage and the sheer number of trials underway.
One of the Jenner Institute's partners for manufacturing a COVID vaccine is Merck, an American company.
[www.prnewswire.com]
Posted by: Ca Bob
Date: April 28, 2020 02:21AM
If the vaccine looks promising, the Gates foundation would probably pay to start constructing a factory or two. That's what Bill said on the Colbert show the other night. Perhaps Apple could agree to go halves on building the whole complex. Regarding Merck, the book by Paul Offit is interesting reading.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: April 28, 2020 11:00AM
Meanwhile in Australia.

Australia’s drug regulator, the Therapeutic Goods Administration, has dropped its investigation into newspaper advertisements taken out by the former federal politician Clive Palmer that described a drug unproven in the treatment of Covid-19 as a “cure”.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 290
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018