advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
The disaster of Trump’s mini-me - Bolsonaro -in Brazil
Posted by: pdq
Date: May 02, 2020 09:00AM
So, much like the US, Brazil turned away from progressivism to a Trumpian conservative who said the things that such conservatives say that appeal broadly: problems are easily fixed, but only I can fix it. Problems that the left is concerned about are not legitimate and will go away on their own if we ignore them. I know better than the scientists and experts.

Doesn’t work so good in a pandemic.

On Thursday, Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro continued his steady stream of coronavirus diatribes on Facebook, this time raging against the directives of the World Health Organization while bizarrely suggesting that the U.N. health agency encourages masturbation and homosexuality among children.

confused smiley

The post... fits into Bolsonaro’s bewildering coronavirus response - one marked by denial of the scale of the threat, anger at the lockdowns imposed by state governors, deep rifts with some of his cabinet officials, the accelerated ecological devastation of the Amazon and the steady spread of the virus in Latin America’s largest and most populous nation.

Yeah, pandemic viruses are bastards. They don’t listen to and obey your pronouncements the way your supporters do.

Brazil has about 80,000 confirmed coronavirus cases, but experts say the real number is much higher, potentially above 1 million. Bodies are piling up in major cities as local officials anticipate a surge of cases, with the likely peak of the outbreak still weeks away.

What’s a narcissistic anti-science populist to do? Reconsider? Express sympathy?

Naw.

The president could only muster an impatient shrug Tuesday when confronted by reporters about the country’s more than 5,500 confirmed coronavirus deaths. “So what?” he said. “What do you want me to do?”

This disaster is just getting started. Why do we allow ourselves to be ruled by these monsters?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: The disaster of Trump’s mini-me - Bolsonaro -in Brazil
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: May 02, 2020 09:06AM
pdq
Why do we allow ourselves to be ruled by these monsters?
Because in the case of Brazil, the governments of both parties destroyed themselves in unbelievable corruption and crimes. Two presidents jailed and one kicked out recently. A good chunk of the congress implicated.

Brazil's politicians brought it on themselves, with a result of Bolsonaro who may be the worst one of all.
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: May 02, 2020 09:41AM
Isn’t some story that the case against the Sociakist one was rigged?
Posted by: Speedy
Date: May 02, 2020 04:30PM
I watched a propaganda video last year on Netflix about Lula.

[en.wikipedia.org]

He was barred from running for President last election and was in prison waiting for the virus to kill him. Of course, he claims it was rigged.

anonymouse1
Isn’t some story that the case against the Sociakist one was rigged?

“President Luiz Inácio “Lula” da Silva steered Brazil into an era of economic stability and growth. Under his administration, redistributive social policies lifted thirty-million people out of poverty and the country rose as a player in world politics. Riding his coattails, Workers’ Party (PT) candidate Dilma Rousseff, a newcomer to electoral politics, won Brazil’s highest office on 31 October 2010 by a 12-point margin over José Serra of the Brazilian Social Democratic Party (PSDB). Yet it is debatable whether he created a lasting electoral realignment. Lulismo remains an expression of personalized politics rather than a manifestation of more enduring partisan commitments.”

Wikipedia

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2020 04:42PM by Speedy.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 115
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018