Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Ohio governor openly chooses not to lead
Posted by: deckeda
Date: May 03, 2020 12:00PM
Telling people what's a good and helpful way to survive is "a bridge too far."

WaPo
Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine (R) said Sunday that he reversed course on requiring Ohioans to wear masks because people “were not going to accept the government telling them what to do.”

“It became very clear to me after we put out the order that everyone in retail who walked into a store as a customer — it became clear to me that was a bridge too far,” DeWine said on ABC News’s “This Week.”
He added: “It just wasn’t going to work. You got to know what you can do and what you can’t do.”

Asked further about polls showing that Republicans were less willing to abide by social distancing recommendations, DeWine said he wasn’t familiar with the findings, but he cited the ideological differences between the GOP and the Democratic Party.

“I think, generally, Republicans are less inclined to have the government tell them what to do,” DeWine said. “And that’s certainly how I am. I’m a conservative Republican. I think we’re better off not having the government tell us what to do. But we are in a health crisis.”

Tell me again why this kind of person is in elected office, when he obviously so disdains it?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Ohio governor openly chooses not to lead
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: May 03, 2020 12:13PM
Meanwhile, grocery stores throughout MD, VA and DC have signs saying "no entry beyond this point without a mask" and people seem fine with that.

Masks abound.

...The weird thing to me is all the joggers who now wear masks while jogging. I have trouble breathing deeply through a (good) mask when I exert myself and have found myself short of breath a few times. How do they deal with the hypoxia?

Date: May 03, 2020 12:22PM
It's obviously the national retail chains that have taken the lead on doing the best they can to protect workers. It's the only reason why Walmart staff in our little burg wear masks. As a customer, I'd feel like a complete ass walking in there without one. What makes me "better/safer" than them??

DeWine and so many others can't seem to connect those large dots even if given a free roll of duct tape. This is simple conscientious stuff, not nanny-state overreach. The Republican Party is just LOST.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: May 03, 2020 12:43PM
The national retail stores took the lead because their attorneys told them the cost of not doing so. They then turned into marketing to make themselves look even better.

Nothing wrong with that as the end result is what matters

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: SteveO
Date: May 03, 2020 12:50PM
The irony here is that DeWine has been one of the very few R voices of reason since the start of this, often doling out policies and speeches that went against the Idiot's. (We all know who the Idiot is here.)

My take on this development is that "someone" found some oppo research that can be very damaging to DeWine. Period.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: May 03, 2020 02:31PM
Sarcany
...The weird thing to me is all the joggers who now wear masks while jogging. I have trouble breathing deeply through a (good) mask when I exert myself and have found myself short of breath a few times. How do they deal with the hypoxia?

Fainting and falling down? Not the best way, I expect, but what can you do - those masks recirculate CO2 right back into your lungs...

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: bfd
Date: May 03, 2020 03:06PM
Allowing a small minority of loudmouths, cretins, fringe nutcases, and covidiots to influence to public health policy is soooo Repuglican

Gotta have my McRib sammich! (get those workers back on the line!)

Gotta get my roots dyed! (get those hair stylists back in the salons)

Gotta keep from getting an uneven tan because of this stupid mask! (well then, toss those things in the garbage - they were never gonna keep you from getting sick!)

Gotta carry my assault rifle wherever I go
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: May 03, 2020 05:05PM
He has done a great job of worker safety. And has recommended masks for all citizens. Not requiring them is a way to not waste law enforcement time.
Date: May 03, 2020 05:39PM
cbelt3
He has done a great job of worker safety. And has recommended masks for all citizens. Not requiring them is a way to not waste law enforcement time.

That wasn’t what he said however. Not his tone at all.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: May 03, 2020 05:46PM
They've normalized and then elevated what is essentially anti-social behavior to an art form.
Posted by: GGD
Date: May 03, 2020 07:10PM
cbelt3

That's the position Santa Clara County has taken with face masks. Although voluntary compliance is very good here.

Why Is This Face Covering Guidance Rather Than An Order?

Jurisdictions in the Bay Area are unified in the recognition that face coverings are a very important tool in breaking the chains of transmission. Some jurisdictions may use a legal Health Officer Order while others may use guidance or recommendations to achieve the same goals. Health Officer orders are legally enforceable and local law enforcement are charged with enforcement of most of the orders. The County of Santa Clara is mindful that enforcement resources across the county are limited and whenever possible see if we can change collective action and behavior change. Our community has been active in following past guidance provided by the Health Officer and the Public Health Department and we anticipate significant voluntary compliance with this recommendation.

[www.sccgov.org]
Posted by: Sam3
Date: May 04, 2020 05:25AM
Michigan requires face masks in all enclosed spaces, though it really is unenforceable. Some stores like Costco are barring entrance without one, though others, like Meijer, don't care, and aren't enforcing it. The majority of people are OK with the order, some actually celebrating it.

I actually started respecting DeWine, as he was one of the first to enact restrictions, going against the normal Republican flow. This backing off of requiring facemasks, however, is causing me to re-evaluate that.

cbelt3, he could man up and require them, that doesn't mean that police will be tasked to arrest people who don't do so. Requiring masks gives stores a legal OK to ban people who don't follow the order.

The arts are not luxuries but assets that give way more than they cost.
--Ronald Tucker on YouTube

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open.
--Frank Zappa
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: May 04, 2020 10:32AM
Sam3
...Requiring masks gives stores a legal OK to ban people who don't follow the order.
Stores can and will enact such a restriction if they wish. "Unmasked" is not a protected status.

That said, the "Wear a mask, dammit" guidance has been in Ohio for almost a month. Folks not wearing masks get the same mental judgement as people with Trump 2020 stickers on their vehicles. Idiots. And I stay more than 6 feet away from them.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 247
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018