advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Shoot that messenger! (too...)
Posted by: pdq
Date: May 04, 2020 09:48AM
This one’s a few days old, so apologies if you’ve already seen it.

In a Friday night announcement, the White House...[fired] the Department of Health and Human Services watchdog whose office found severe shortages of medical supplies in hospitals as COVID-19 cases surged.

... A longtime staffer with Health and Human Services, Grimm was leading the inspector general's office in April when it issued a report chronicling testing delays - up to seven days in some cases as well as severe shortages of supplies in hospitals amid the COVID-19 pandemic.

Uh-oh. Mustn’t have an Inspector General contradicting our dear leader’s happy talk, especially not at a press conference:

“It’s just wrong,” Trump said of the report at an April 6 coronavirus task force briefing. He quickly pivoted to attack the source of the report, asking, “Where did he come from, the inspector general? What’s his name? No, what’s his name? What’s his name?”

Later, after learning the inspector was a woman, Trump said: “It still could be her opinion. When was she appointed? Do me a favor and let me know. Let me know now. I have to know.”

In case you were wondering, she’s not an “Obama appointee” as Trump later tried to tell us, but rather a “highly respected career senior executive” who has been with the HHS’s IG’s office since 1999, serving both Dem (10 years) and Republican (11 years) administrations. She was named to her current position (Principal Deputy Inspector) earlier this year.

All I can say is I hope we can get some of these experienced civil servants brave enough to tell the truth to come back after Chuckles is gone. I hate to think what damage this idiot has done to this country, both in the folks we have lost and the realization among the rest that if they do their jobs honestly they may lose their careers.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Shoot that messenger! (too...)
Date: May 04, 2020 10:12AM
I’ll follow up with a local event. Sven Sundgaard was a young, popular local-kid weatherguy and ~15 year TV personality who could hardly be more Minnesotan (yes, his name is really “Sven”) who got abruptly canned the same day as Grimm (above) by the local station (KARE 11, owned by Gannett) for reposting a local senior rabbi’s comment:

Now Sven’s out of a job. For reposting a local rabbi’s comment.

You know, I’m not naive; I know that when you’re employed as a non-political news figure you’ve got to largely remain neutral, and you shouldn’t expect the same protections as, say, an Inspector General doing her job.

But I can’t say I disagree with the rabbi’s comments, it’s sad to see folks losing their jobs just for speaking out, and I hope Sven lands a better job soon.

Godspeed, Sven!

PS - KARE 11 is getting some blowback from this, but I think the chances of Gannett backtracking are unfortunately close to zero.
Posted by: GGD
Date: May 04, 2020 10:16AM
"It is a classic Trump disinformation effort"
"doing all that they can to make sure the people don’t learn in a timely fashion about the truth"

Posted by: cbelt3
Date: May 04, 2020 10:27AM
Oversight ? Inspectors ? Don't need em ! TRUST ME !!!!
Date: May 04, 2020 10:58AM
GGD
"It is a classic Trump disinformation effort"
"doing all that they can to make sure the people don’t learn in a timely fashion about the truth"

Yeah, I rolled my eyes at that one when it came out of his mouth.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 241
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018