advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
"Parks close days after reopening as crowds defy social-distancing measures"
Posted by: deckeda
Date: May 04, 2020 12:17PM
Apparently, when you don't lead, the citizenry does things they shouldn't that can endanger more that just themselves. Who knew, right?

from WaPo Live Updates briefs

A popular park in Miami Beach, Fla., shut down Monday, five days after it reopened, after crowds filled the area and many declined to wear face masks.

Miami-Dade County let visitors return to its parks last Wednesday with the stipulation that they wear masks except when exercising. Officials doled out more than 1,550 warnings for mask violations in the first two days, the Miami Herald reported. South Pointe Park closed Monday.

In New Jersey, officials said eight parks were “overrun” when they reopened Saturday. The mayor of Lakehurst shut down the municipal-run Lake Horicon because large crowds gathered, New Jersey 101.5 reported. Gov. Phil Murphy (D) has warned that he will close parks statewide again if residents disobey social-distancing orders.

The difficulties in reopening state and local parks could foreshadow a challenge facing federal officials as they gradually allow visitors to return to national parks ahead of the summer tourism season. Denali National Park in Alaska has already begun to reopen, while parks in North Carolina and Utah are preparing to let people return in the next few weeks.

Facilities at some parks will remain closed in the short term, even as people are able to access the trails and open spaces. Visitors are asked to follow local health orders and avoid forming crowds.

Maintaining that distance may be hard. Even in states that have not closed parks again, many people seemed unconcerned this weekend about keeping space between themselves and others.

No one at Commons Ford Ranch Metropolitan Park in Austin on Saturday appeared to be wearing a mask or staying six feet away from others, the Austin American-Statesman reported. In New York City, more than 1,000 police officers enforced social-distancing mandates as people tried to enjoy temperatures in the 70s, according to the New York Post.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: "Parks close days after reopening as crowds defy social-distancing measures"
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 04, 2020 12:44PM
....Parks.......and 'Recreation'.......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Re: "Parks close days after reopening as crowds defy social-distancing measures"
Posted by: Acer
Date: May 04, 2020 02:05PM
I have sympathy for those who want to work. They are being co-opted by those who selfishly want to do whatever they want.
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: May 04, 2020 02:35PM
Acer
I have sympathy for those who want to work. They are being co-opted by those who selfishly want to do whatever they want.

But...Freedom! Liberty! Rights!
Isn't my right to be an @#$%&hole greater than your right to live? It's disgusting that, to many, it is.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: May 04, 2020 08:22PM
People are being so irresponsible. If everyone had worn masks and practiced social distancing, I'd be a lot more optimistic about how they will act if things begin re-opening. But I expect that they will all act as if the last month never happened, and that the count of the sick and the dead will begin rising. I don't trust half the people in this country as far as I can throw them.

Posted by: deckeda
Date: May 04, 2020 10:35PM
Best headline today: Trump cheers on governors even as they ignore White House coronavirus guidelines in race to reopen

[www.washingtonpost.com]

“ States across the country are moving swiftly to reopen their economies despite failing to achieve benchmarks laid out by the White House for when social distancing restrictions could be eased to ensure the public’s safety during the coronavirus pandemic.

“These governors’ biggest cheerleader is President Trump.”
Posted by: RgrF
Date: May 04, 2020 11:39PM
They've made a decision to trade lives for dollars and when the worst happens they'll just go back to the playbook - create FUD, lie and then blame scientists and the medical profession for not being ready.

Politicization of what is a medical problem and the willingness of a significant slice of the populace to swallow their excuses is really getting depressing.
Posted by: rgG
Date: May 05, 2020 08:43AM
$tevie
People are being so irresponsible. If everyone had worn masks and practiced social distancing, I'd be a lot more optimistic about how they will act if things begin re-opening. But I expect that they will all act as if the last month never happened, and that the count of the sick and the dead will begin rising. I don't trust half the people in this country as far as I can throw them.

You must have seen the videos of people in and around Atlanta this weekend, after we opened bars and malls and parks. confused smiley

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 368
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018