advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Are you going out to shop?
Posted by: samintx
Date: May 09, 2020 05:42PM
Other than groceries are you dining out or availing yourself where legal in your community or state?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Are you going out to shop?
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: May 09, 2020 05:49PM
nope

Only necessities (so far that has been for groceries, medicine, and one trip to Lowes for Tapcon screws.)

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: hal
Date: May 09, 2020 05:52PM
Grocery store, USPS and that's about it

I use to go to the Walmart grocery, but it's just too scary these days.

The upscale store nearby has hired a Sac Country ON DUTY Sheriff to be in the store full time.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: May 09, 2020 05:57PM
If the deputy's on duty then presumably he/she is on county payroll, how do you get that deputy to replace private guard services?
Date: May 09, 2020 06:05PM
I didn't ask, but when I said, 'you should be at the walmart', he smiled and agreed, but said that they aren't paying.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: May 09, 2020 06:09PM
Not at all. Not even Amazon for the past two months.

I order groceries from Wal-Mart online, choose a pickup date, and they roll my stuff out on a cart to load in my truck.

Their new policy is to stay in your vehicle and the Wal-Mart employee will load your stuff for you. I like that.

I have ate at a couple of fast food restaurants, but even that is scary these days.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: Acer
Date: May 09, 2020 06:19PM
Minimal shopping for essentials, though if we are out then we'll pick up a few nonessentials in the same store. Mostly the same for online. I'll admit I've done a little bit of hobby purchasing online and locally in recent weeks to keep me supplied to stay busy with said hobby during down time. The only restaurant food was one carry-out pizza on my birthday.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2020 06:20PM by Acer.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: May 09, 2020 06:56PM
Grocery stores are fine. But you won’t see me in a restaurant or barber for a long, long time. They are very different environments, with very different risks.
Posted by: Ted King
Date: May 09, 2020 06:57PM
Been to stores twice since the beginning of March. Grocery stores both times. Otherwise I have been home and taking my dog to the park or walks four times a day - keeping a good distance from others. I don't wanna get sick and I don't wanna make anyone else sick.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2020 06:58PM by Ted King.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 09, 2020 07:22PM
....my momma' told me.....you better shop around.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: sekker
Date: May 09, 2020 07:29PM
I'm not a shopper anyway. This has not changed much - fewer visits to the grocery store.

But my wife and I are in about as good as it gets - we have a fully set up household, just need essentials.
Date: May 09, 2020 07:41PM
I've been out once a week or so, just groceries and pharmaceuticals. Got the old lady out of the house for the first time in 2 months yesterday. She'd been reluctant but once outside said it was like getting out of jail (she has no idea what jail is really like).

List in hand, I usually do an in and out dash - she turned my dash into a stroll up and down aisles with doubling back and scrutinizing of labels. It drove me crazy but did get her out and more importantly over some of the fear she's been living with.
Date: May 09, 2020 07:46PM
....so you all....came out....????

Date: May 09, 2020 07:52PM
Briefly terrified smiley
Date: May 09, 2020 07:56PM
"(she has no idea what jail is really like)"

or maybe living with you is really that rough :-)
Posted by: steve...
Date: May 09, 2020 08:02PM
Don't plan on dining out and have only been going to the hardware stores to pick up items for home projects.

I'll keep doing my regular shopping online from home. thumbs up

Northern California Coast
Posted by: testcase
Date: May 09, 2020 08:02PM
I’ve been out to dinner three times since restrictions were eased. All three eateries were following 6’ minimum separation distances (and often more than 6’). I’m VERY surprised that when food shopping, SO many people seem to have a FU attitude and choose NOT to wear a mask or follow the “flow” that supermarkets have established to ensure that shoppers do NOT come together face to face.
Date: May 09, 2020 08:03PM
hal
"(she has no idea what jail is really like)"

or maybe living with you is really that rough

A life sentence!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2020 08:08PM by RgrF.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: May 09, 2020 08:06PM
I've been shopping 2-3 times a week. We have a young family and have continued to eat fresh fruit and veg. We get takeout 1-2 times a week.

Posted by: davester
Date: May 09, 2020 08:28PM
Grocery shopping only. I've been trying to limit it to less than once a week. I hit the bakery, then the farmer's market (which is right next to the bakery) for fresh fish and veg, and then if necessary hit the grocery store on the way back for wine, beer, and other stuff not available at the farmer's market. Every place I go has stringent social distancing protocols in place and won't allow you in without a mask. When I get back to the car I clean up with the hand sanitizer I keep in there.

Every place I go, everybody is totally considerate and practices careful social distancing. I keep reading about places with lots of crazy people who are blowing precautions off and thank my lucky stars I don't live in places like that.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2020 08:30PM by davester.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: May 09, 2020 09:56PM
We are ordering everything online, including groceries, and have our medications delivered. People in our neighborhood seem to ignore advice to wear masks or keep six feet apart; although oddly enough our zip code has the least amount of covid-19 cases but we are still paranoid since we both have health issues that are listed as being compromising.

Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: May 09, 2020 10:11PM
Out of the house almost every day working. Stores probably twice a week for grocery shopping or home improvement needs. No sit down restaurants or even inside one. Curbside at a few local places and went to a food truck once or twice.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: May 09, 2020 10:16PM
Necessities. Masked and gloves. And I swap gloves religiously and dispose of them properly. I’ve already gone through 250 pairs.
Posted by: davester
Date: May 10, 2020 12:47AM
cbelt3
Necessities. Masked and gloves. And I swap gloves religiously and dispose of them properly. I’ve already gone through 250 pairs.

Why are people wearing gloves? From a PPE standpoint the only reason to wear gloves is to protect oneself from a dangerous toxin that can damage or permeate the skin. The coronavirus does neither so gloves won't protect you or anyone else and are useless for dealing with coronavirus. In fact gloves just add one more thing to dispose of or decontaminate. It is much smarter to simply wash or sanitize hands after touching something potentially infected.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: May 10, 2020 01:02AM
Yeah, people wearing latex gloves really confuse me. If you are touching multiple items, how does that do any good? think they have probably some idea of seeing that on tv and thinking it's what the doctors do when going to operate on someone, so it must be good.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2020 01:04AM by mrbigstuff.
Date: May 10, 2020 01:08AM
You wear gloves to remind yourself to not react normally and touch your face with your potentially contaminated hands. The reason you wear a mask is to not contaminate others, the reason you wear gloves is to not accidentally contaminate yourself.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2020 01:15AM by RgrF.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: May 10, 2020 01:23AM
Since early March, I went to get lab work done last Monday and to the doctor Wednesday. That's it.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: May 10, 2020 01:43AM
RgrF
You wear gloves to remind yourself to not react normally and touch your face with your potentially contaminated hands. The reason you wear a mask is to not contaminate others, the reason you wear gloves is to not accidentally contaminate yourself.

This.

When my blue-gloved hands approach my face, the color is sufficient warning to remind me not to touch my face.

Posted by: GGD
Date: May 10, 2020 02:06AM
And if you have Clorox wipes, and gloves but no hand sanitizer, wiping down your gloved hands is better than using the wipes on your skin.
Posted by: Janit
Date: May 10, 2020 06:55AM
Last excursion to a "public" establishment of any kind was to my car mechanic on March 16. First excursion since was May 7 to doctor's office to pick up equipment for a home sleep study. This was their first day back and I figured the safest time to use the equipment was when it was cleaned and hadn't been used by anyone for 2 months. Should have done a sleep study months ago, but the symptoms only became pressing just before everything shut down. Poor sleep is a real bear.

Everything else has been delivery -- Rx, Costo, and Whole Foods/Prime.

By the way, my town has been offering free groceries, delivered once a week to anyone in town over 60 who requests it, regardless of financial need. Surprising yet not surprising. Around 17 out of the 100 households in my building are getting this delivery, and one of my neighbors is acting as coordinator.

I live in an interesting town.
Date: May 10, 2020 09:40AM
testcase
I’ve been out to dinner three times since restrictions were eased. All three eateries were following 6’ minimum separation distances (and often more than 6’). I’m VERY surprised that when food shopping, SO many people seem to have a FU attitude and choose NOT to wear a mask or follow the “flow” that supermarkets have established to ensure that shoppers do NOT come together face to face.

You have the risk assessment exactly backwards, so good luck.

Restaurants are far smaller, and sitting at a table makes you a stationary target for whatever the HVAC may be silently wafting your way. The sick person 50ft away is the risk in that scenario, not the sick person briefly passing right by you in a produce section.

The infection formula always remains the same: exposure amount X time. An increase in either is exponentially riskier.
Date: May 10, 2020 09:45AM
The blog post linked to in Peter’s thread below is a long, but smart read that’s backed by real examples published from credible sources: [forums.macresource.com]
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: May 10, 2020 09:54AM
Out every 10 days to two weeks for groceries, with mask and gloves.

Doing restaurant pick up once or twice a week (mostly Chipotle). No eating in a restaurant-that's rolling the dice with health/life.

Going for walks with a friend, masked and/or 6 ft apart, maybe 2x/week.
Posted by: PeterB
Date: May 10, 2020 10:51AM
I haven't been out since I was informed that my workplace was closing, have gotten everything delivered or done things myself (such as a haircut!). I've physically been out of the house only a few times to retrieve packages/mail and put out the trash. If I'm physically within distance of someone, I'm wearing an N95; I'm wearing gloves*** all the time when handling items that are outside. If this seems extreme, it might be, but I'd rather be taking extreme measures than taking my life in my hands (I'm medium-high risk).

*** I disagree with others in this thread about gloves being useless. They're certainly better than handwashing in terms of decreasing risk, since they're a physical barrier, so long as used and disposed properly. (Having a medical/scientific background, I'm also acutely aware of where I put my fingers/hands...) I use the disposable vinyl type... they're not super-expensive and it's worth the piece of mind to have them.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2020 10:54AM by PeterB.
Date: May 10, 2020 11:49AM
.....as it was 'starting' in my area......was able to do weekly shopping (no lines).....but now almost impossible as every place has a line coming out......

.....luckily had stocked up on food but now only try to get stuff delivered......stuff with long shelf life like canned stuff........shelf stable milk, in case, milk becomes scarce........

.....will try to venture out 1-2 times a week just to get fresh air.....however, some people are not practicing social distancing (acting like 'normal') and most places like restaurants, etc. are all closed.......no Starbucks (all close).....even fast food places are closed except for a McDonalds.......

Posted by: Sam3
Date: May 11, 2020 04:39AM
For me, life hasn't changed much, being an essential industry I go to work every day, as does my wife. Shopping trips have been shorter, getting only the items that I need, plus, I hate wearing masks, my skin starts to itch and I hate the condensation under the mask, so in and out I go. We've shopped at Best Buy, Michael's and similar stores, all ordering online and then doing curbside pickup. Weekends are our take-out night, local restaurants have gotten the ordering and curbside pickup down to a science, it's efficient and easy. We've tried some local places that we have never gone to before, and the food was really good, we've put those places on our bucket list of places to go to when things get back to a new normal.

The arts are not luxuries but assets that give way more than they cost.
--Ronald Tucker on YouTube

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open.
--Frank Zappa
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 110
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018