advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Pence to work from White House after aide tests positive for COVID-19 (story update)
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: May 10, 2020 05:49PM
original story was he was 'self-isolating'. Hahn, Redfield and Fauci self-isolating. This could go south for Trump Team.

Pence to work from White House after aide tests positive for COVID-19
[thehill.com]

Vice President Pence will continue working from the White House this week after his press secretary tested positive for the coronavirus on Friday, a spokesman said Sunday.

"Vice President Pence will continue to follow the advice of the White House Medical Unit and is not in quarantine. Additionally, Vice President Pence has tested negative every single day and plans to be at the White House tomorrow," Pence spokesman Devin O’Malley said in a statement.

Multiple news outlets reported that Pence was self-isolating after his press secretary, Katie Miller, tested positive for the coronavirus on Friday. One person familiar with the matter told The Hill that Pence may lay low for a few days and take extra precautions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2020 06:14PM by Steve G..
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Pence self-isolating after aide tests positive for COVID-19?: report
Date: May 10, 2020 05:52PM
however
Devine O'Malley.
VP Pence Spolesman
Today
"Vice President Pence will continue to follow the advice of the White House medical unit and is NOT in quarantine.
Additionally, Vice President Pence has tested negative every single day and plans to be at the White House tomorrow"
Posted by: Ammo
Date: May 10, 2020 06:08PM
I apologize if I'm posting in the wrong thread, but:

The White House says everyone is tested daily.

What I don't understand is how a long a negative Covid-19 test is valid. Could someone test negative in the morning and be contagious in the afternoon?

For that matter, could someone in isolation test negative in the morning and be contagious in the afternoon?

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass

Until you make your unconscious conscious, it will direct your life and you will call it fate. - Carl Jung

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2020 06:15PM by Ammo.
Re: Pence to work from White House after aide tests positive for COVID-19 (story update)
Date: May 10, 2020 06:18PM
Not to be a downer, but this may mean that Biden et al are liable to become infected. Pelosi, Schumer etc etc. So don't celebrate too soon.
Re: Pence to work from White House after aide tests positive for COVID-19 (story update)
Date: May 10, 2020 06:29PM
Must have been those churches crammed full at Easter. Or was it in April when the heat made the virus disappear?
Posted by: RgrF
Date: May 10, 2020 06:38PM
At what point does a positive test show? If someone is in day one of a 4-6 day incubation, will it show positive on the test?
Date: May 10, 2020 06:40PM

'sizable doses of hydroxychloroquine STAT!'
Posted by: PeterB
Date: May 10, 2020 06:52PM
Steve G.

'sizable doses of hydroxychloroquineClorox STAT!'

FTFY.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: May 10, 2020 07:04PM
RgrF
At what point does a positive test show?

Depends upon the test.

If it's a swab-test then it shows only when there's enough virus at the back of the nasal cavity when and where they swab. You can be deathly ill with the virus and if the swab doesn't hit the sweet spot then you'll test negative. But if it's done expertly then it could be over 90% accurate.

Drumpf doesn't like the swabs. Supposedly they're using the quick-tests. 50-65% accurate if they're lucky. As low as 30% accurate in some cases.

...Which helps to explain how the disease is running through the White House.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2020 07:08PM by Sarcany.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: May 10, 2020 07:32PM
Is an 'expert' test done 'expertly' able to spot onset or day one infection?
Posted by: AllGold
Date: May 10, 2020 09:02PM
Ammo
What I don't understand is how a long a negative Covid-19 test is valid. Could someone test negative in the morning and be contagious in the afternoon?

For that matter, could someone in isolation test negative in the morning and be contagious in the afternoon?

Yes. As soon as you are tested, you can get infected and your negative result no longer applies.

However, to piggyback on what was already said, after you are infected, it can take time for the "viral load" to become high enough for a test to indicate a positive result.

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 10, 2020 09:03PM
......they are now denying that he is self isolating despite news saying he is........so he is NOT self isolating......despite 'exposure'......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Diana
Date: May 11, 2020 12:01AM
Ammo
I apologize if I'm posting in the wrong thread, but:

The White House says everyone is tested daily.

Answer: Yes. A negative test result may indeed just be saying that you're not showing as contagious yet.

From paper from The Annals of Internal Medicine:
"... confirmed cases with identifiable exposure and symptom onset windows to estimate the incubation period of COVID-19. The median incubation period was estimated to be 5.1 days (95% CI, 4.5 to 5.8 days), and 97.5% of those who develop symptoms will do so within 11.5 days (CI, 8.2 to 15.6 days) of infection. These estimates imply that, under conservative assumptions, 101 out of every 10 000 cases (99th percentile, 482) will develop symptoms after 14 days of active monitoring or quarantine."

Posted earlier: From the NIH and published in Euro Surveillance which basically says the same thing.

So, after you have been exposed and if you get infected, you may start showing as having the SARS2-CoV-19 virus as soon as 4 days (some say 2 days, but don't have references for that) or as late as close to 6 days (according to the study in Annals), and start showing symptoms as early as about 8 days post infection. It could even be later before you start showing symptoms. For the sake of argument, say I had been exposed to a infectious viral load on Day 1, meaning that I probably would come down with COVID-19. At the end of Day 4 I could show negative, and the beginning of Day 5 I could now be positive; I wouldn't know it because I haven't starting showing symptoms and probably wouldn't for another 3 days or more. We are assuming that if my viral load is enough to be seen with the test, then it is more than likely high enough to start infecting others. The NIH paper seems to say that it could be even later before you may come up positive.

FYI I haven't thoroughly read them, so I could be wrong.

Given that the tests may or may not be specific enough to catch it, depending on which ones you use, or accurate enough, and the fact that the viral load has to be high enough to register (and not all tests are equal here) and that takes time, and that it takes even more time to analyze the test, it is no wonder that it is making the rounds through the WH. I'm amazed that it hasn't already made it way through there given the attitude and wishful thinking I'm hearing about.

Diana
Posted by: Lizabeth
Date: May 11, 2020 06:37AM
So there is a chance that both Cheeto and Pence could test positive in the next week or so...and spread it.
Posted by: Janit
Date: May 11, 2020 07:28AM
Lizabeth
So there is a chance that both Cheeto and Pence could test positive in the next week or so...and spread it.

Wouldn't that be special...
Date: May 11, 2020 10:48AM
Thanks, Diana!
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: May 11, 2020 10:55AM
Posted by: AllGold
Date: May 11, 2020 01:51PM
Lux Interior

Made me LOL!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 250
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018