AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Posted without comment
Posted by: pdq
Date: May 17, 2020 09:26AM
Re: Posted without comment
Posted by: pdq
Date: May 17, 2020 09:37AM
I missed this piece from PBS on Friday, which probably belongs here too.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: May 17, 2020 10:29AM
I thought it was pretty coincidental that her allegations never came up before she associated with her attorney (who just happens to be a large contributor to Trump's campaign)

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: sekker
Date: May 17, 2020 03:29PM
The only purpose of these allegations is to set a moral equivalency so that supporters of The Idiot can ignore any character attacks.

No, I’m not blind or deaf and I’m not ignoring these charges. But even if what’s been alleged is true, the value and purpose is political and not judicial.

I’m also going to say it here - if Joe Biden was a regular assaulter of women, there would be others coming forth.

We know who we have in the White House, and in his own words.

I’ll let the rest of 99.9999% of Joe Biden’s career in a fish bowl represent who he is.
Posted by: Ted King
Date: May 17, 2020 05:49PM
sekker
The only purpose of these allegations is to set a moral equivalency so that supporters of The Idiot can ignore any character attacks.

No, I’m not blind or deaf and I’m not ignoring these charges. But even if what’s been alleged is true, the value and purpose is political and not judicial.

I’m also going to say it here - if Joe Biden was a regular assaulter of women, there would be others coming forth.

We know who we have in the White House, and in his own words.

I’ll let the rest of 99.9999% of Joe Biden’s career in a fish bowl represent who he is.

I think the number of woman who make false allegations of sexual assault is a very small percent of all women who make allegations of sexual assault. But I agree with you that it's also rare for a man who sexually assaults a woman to only have done so to one woman. I think that men like Trump almost always show a clear pattern of such behavior over time. So which rare thing is most likely the case here? Can we look to the overall behavior of Biden and Reade to get some idea?

The two articles pdq linked to do give weight to the notion that there is a fair amount of circumstantial evidence of Reade exhibiting "questionable" behavior that she may very well be one of the rare women who make false allegations of sexual assault.

I still doubt I'll ever get enough information for me to feel comfortable definitely concluding that Biden didn't assault her, but I'm settling on the feeling that what I've heard so far isn't enough that Biden should bail out of his presidential candidacy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2020 05:52PM by Ted King.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: May 17, 2020 05:54PM
I hope for Reade's sake that she isn't being fed the same baloney that was fed to Paula Jones: dumped unceremoniously by the people who had promised her the world if she would refuse a settlement from Bill; once the dust settled and she was of no more use to them they dropped her and any assistance with her legal costs like a hot potato.

Posted by: deckeda
Date: May 17, 2020 07:51PM
Ted King

I still doubt I'll ever get enough information for me to feel comfortable definitely concluding that Biden didn't assault her, but I'm settling on the feeling that what I've heard so far isn't enough that Biden should bail out of his presidential candidacy.

I feel a lot better about Biden than you do. For example, instead of being convinced of his innocence, for me his innocence isn't even in question without some credible evidence to the contrary.
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: May 17, 2020 10:16PM
To reasonably accept ‘metoo’ in an intellectually honest fashion, the existence of outlier false accusations needs to be acknowledged.

In this case, from my reading? There is a growing preponderance of indicators that she is lying.

“Lying” falls harsh on the ears, though if acknowledging the infrequency of the occurrence, there is no reason to be reticent about it’s application, circumstances warranting, particularly given how almost casually many are given to applying the label of ‘rapist’ or ‘predator’ when allegations are brought.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2020 10:18PM by Blankity Blank.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: May 18, 2020 10:15AM
I think I'd call that a hit piece.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Date: May 18, 2020 09:54PM
rjmacs

It has no merit, or has merit but shouldn’t have been reported?
Date: May 19, 2020 11:05AM
deckeda
rjmacs

It's a character profile, and that can only really serve one purpose, which is either to bolster or undermine her credibility. Draw your own conclusions about what this piece does, I guess.

rj
AKA
Date: May 19, 2020 12:26PM
rjmacs
deckeda
rjmacs

It's a character profile, and that can only really serve one purpose, which is either to bolster or undermine her credibility. Draw your own conclusions about what this piece does, I guess.

Character profiles seeking to learn of credibility can also be investigative journalism, despite the core of the content being hearsay disputes. I can assume Politico sat on a pile of favorable anecdotes, or I cannot unless and until more info comes forth.

Sunshine in any form helps IMO. If another publication outputs a glowing "review" of her, I'd read it.
Date: May 19, 2020 12:28PM
We can agree to disagree.

rj
AKA
Date: May 21, 2020 10:59PM
But wait! There's more!
As Tara Reade’s Expert Witness Credentials Are Questioned, So Are Verdicts

Then known as Alexandra McCabe, Ms. Reade testified as a government witness in Monterey County courts for nearly a decade, describing herself as an expert in the dynamics of domestic violence who had counseled hundreds of victims.

But lawyers who had faced off against her in court began raising questions about the legitimacy of her testimony, and the verdicts that followed, after news reports this week that Antioch University had disputed her claim of receiving a bachelor’s degree from its Seattle campus.

The public defender’s office in Monterey County has begun scrutinizing cases involving Ms. Reade and compiling a list of clients who may have been affected by her testimony, according to Jeremy Dzubay, an assistant public defender in the office.
[www.nytimes.com]

Posted by: RgrF
Date: May 23, 2020 03:16AM
$tevie
But wait! There's more!

Then known as Alexandra McCabe, Ms. Reade testified as a government witness in Monterey County courts for nearly a decade, describing herself as an expert in the dynamics of domestic violence who had counseled hundreds of victims.

But lawyers who had faced off against her in court began raising questions about the legitimacy of her testimony, and the verdicts that followed, after news reports this week that Antioch University had disputed her claim of receiving a bachelor’s degree from its Seattle campus.

The public defender’s office in Monterey County has begun scrutinizing cases involving Ms. Reade and compiling a list of clients who may have been affected by her testimony, according to Jeremy Dzubay, an assistant public defender in the office.
[www.nytimes.com]

Look up Jane Doe of Roe vs. Wade.
Date: May 23, 2020 07:55PM
RgrF
$tevie
But wait! There's more!

[www.nytimes.com]

Look up Jane Doe of Roe vs. Wade.
Oh, I don't have to look it up. I'm well aware of Norma McCorvey's shameful artifice.

Posted by: RgrF
Date: May 23, 2020 08:28PM
She was a weak-willed, powerless woman caught up in a national political fight. Seems to me the shameful artifice is mostley on the part of those offering the bribes - the always hypocritical religious right.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 175
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020