advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Why are you wearing a mask in public?
Posted by: Bernie
Date: May 18, 2020 12:16PM
Poll
Really, why are you wearing a mask in public?
Only registered users are allowed to vote for this poll.
54 votes were received.
It makes me feel safe 4

7%
It makes others feel safe 8

15%
FEAR of being refused service or admittance 4

7%
FEAR of being body slammed to the ground 0

0%
It's Science 38

70%

I have a concealed carry permit because open carry makes a lot of people feel uncomfortable.

I wear a mask, the same damn dirty mask, because it makes others feel more comfortable.

Being body slammed by a public servant over this should not be tolerated. angry villagers smiley

Well that was my rant.

Yours?

Staunton, Virginia
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Why are you wearing a mask in public?
Posted by: Michael
Date: May 18, 2020 12:26PM
I wear one because my wife has a way of looking at me that makes me feel stupid. This way I don't feel stupid about the mask. Just other things...
Posted by: d4
Date: May 18, 2020 12:29PM
Because I'm not a dick.

Posted by: Acer
Date: May 18, 2020 12:31PM
I wear mask, well, frankly because the governor ordered me to.
But I also understand why he made that order.
It protects me from your virus, it protects you from my virus.
It's the neighborly thing to do.
Posted by: SDGuy
Date: May 18, 2020 12:31PM
County of San Diego Order, May 9th, 2020:
"All persons two year old or older who are present in the county shall have possession of a face covering described in California Department of Public Health Face Covering Guidance issued on April 1, 2020, (available at: [www.cdph.ca.gov]), when they leave their home or place of residence, shall wear the face covering whenever they are in a business or within six feet of another person who is not a member of their family or household....Any person who violates or who refuses or willfully neglects to obey this regulation is subject to fine, imprisonment, or both. (Government Code section 8665.)"
Posted by: mstudio
Date: May 18, 2020 12:42PM
I wear one for a couple of reasons. I'm the one that goes out shopping and I don't want to bring anything back to my wife, I just turned 70 and would like to see 71 and I saw this graphic.

Posted by: Racer X
Date: May 18, 2020 12:42PM
Because there is every reason to believe it will cut down on transmission, and it is required here. But because it is the right thing to do.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: May 18, 2020 12:54PM
Because the good reasons to wear one clearly outweigh the reasons not to.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: Buzz
Date: May 18, 2020 12:56PM
Bernie
I wear a mask, the same damn dirty mask, because it makes others feel more comfortable.

Being body slammed by a public servant over this should not be tolerated. angry villagers smiley

Well that was my rant.

Yours?

I agree w/ you 100%, being body slammed by a public servant over this should not be tolerated... People not wearing masks within 12 feet of others in public should simply beget being injected w/ a non-communicable pathogen/toxin that causes excruciating pain, and possible death for such scofflaws. Runners/joggers/bicyclists not wearing masks should be at least 50 feet (preferably more) distant to avoid the same fate. MUCH more effective than body slamming. Public servants should not be put at such risks that are inherent in body slamming. Properly administered viral injection is much more humane than body slamming, much like lethal injection has been found to be more humane than electrocution or gassing of death row inmates.

I also think public areas should be surveilled and those people not wearing masks pursuant to guidelines should have their pictures posted online, and geotagged, to help others contact trace as many people as possible that they may have had contact with. Heck, I'm looking into creating such a website as you read this.

Go out in public?
WEAR A MASK!
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem...
and clearly Houston, we have a problem.
==
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 18, 2020 01:04PM
.....and in pubic.....??

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: May 18, 2020 01:06PM
Why only one mask? Have you not seen all of the videos online showing how to make a mask with a sock, t-shirt, rubberbands, etc? I ordered a stack of cloth masks, ironically from China, back in February because I could see this coming. So I have a ready supply of clean masks available. I also printed a bunch on my 3D printer, but they're not particularly comfortable. I'm waiting on some TPU to be delivered from Amazon to try making a more comfortable version.

At any rate, wearing a mask just makes sense. It's proven to reduce transmission rates.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: wave rider
Date: May 18, 2020 01:32PM
d4
Because I'm not a dick.

ftw smiley

Science of course. And I have dashing good looks when my face is covered. Sadly, I cannot see all the looks of admiration through my fogged up spectacles…

=wr=
Posted by: pdq
Date: May 18, 2020 01:35PM
d4
Because I'm not a dick.

^ this.

Wearing a mask is not much for your own protection as it is for others, in case you happen to be carrying Covid, even though you may "feel fine". And it's a fairly minor ask.

As someone whose friend's ~60 yo pretty healthy brother died of Covid infection (leaving a new widow behind), do me a favor and "make your statement" in some way that doesn't endanger my life or that of my older relatives, please.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2020 01:35PM by pdq.
Posted by: Janit
Date: May 18, 2020 02:02PM
It's science, and it provides an example.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: May 18, 2020 02:28PM
Bernie,

I wear a mask for various reasons. The first is for my safety, the safety of my own and the safety of anyone within my vicinity. That's common-sense and all about being a good person and doing the right thing.

The second is because I can’t trust that members of the community to take steps to protect themselves and others. Rather, I trust and expect they’ll do the opposite and be selfish, self-centered @#$%& and put themselves and everyone else at risk. And, in my experience, this assessment has been proven correct time and time again. I do my utmost to avoid other people as much as possible as a result.

The third reason is the law. In NY, you are required to wear a mask whenever you can’t physically distance yourself from other people. There are a few obvious exceptions but they are few and do not apply to the vast majority of the general public.

In my case, I’m alone and generally away from other people when I’m outside of my home, which makes physically distancing a non-issue the vast majority of the time. The problem is when unexpectedly I’m no longer along and/or have to make a stop somewhere where physical distancing will prove difficult or impossible. So, rather than have to think about or remember to wear a mask, I just wear one and be done with it.

The vast majority of local stores require masks and the only time the requirement is waived is for the same reasons as its waived under current NYS law.. If I have to go to a store, I want to go, make my purchase and get the heck out as quickly as possible. And, I’ll gladly wear a mask to ensure it’s a smooth and easy trip. That's over and above the reason I stated in the very beginning. Speaking of which, all of this goes back to what I said in the very beginning.

I wear a mask for my safety, the safety of my own and the safety of anyone within my vicinity. If other people choose not to take common-sense safety precautions, want to violate current law (if applicable) and/or create unnecessary agita when out and about, that’s on them. Same goes if they become infected and in turn infect others. The consequences of their actions is on them. I want no part of said consequences.

Robert
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 18, 2020 02:30PM
....what about in private......to spice it up......???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: May 18, 2020 02:43PM
Watch somebody die screaming in acute respiratory failure, then tell me you don’t want to wear a mask.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: May 18, 2020 04:08PM
this has an easy way of preying on people's paranoia, so there is the base reason, which is solid (no spraying of exhalation around your perimeter), but , of course, folks have assigned all sorts of reasons where they should be worn. Inside of cars, where "contaminants" from other cars may pass through your ventilation system, on the beach, in a field, sitting in your yard. None of those examples really require a mask unless you're in close proximity to other folks. I agree that one should have one available when walking back to a car, etc, but like all things, people are nervous and sometimes take things a bit too far, and beyond what science is telling us.
Date: May 18, 2020 04:17PM
I am 62 and living in a conservative city/town of 25,000 in Virginia.

Yes I have a Democrat for a governor who treats the whole State like it was New York, but enough.
You can lock down DC and Northern Virginia until the Jubilation trumpets hail.

There are no non-essential workers in our eyes and the states around us are Open.
(I see this poll has made it to the other side)

If you are living in FEAR, move away.
Quality of LIFE is more than just words.

Mass Transit in Staunton VA.

Staunton, Virginia
Date: May 18, 2020 04:28PM
Bernie,

I take great issue with your quote that says, "If you're living in fear, move away". Honestly, it's obnoxious and insulting and I've no doubt whatsoever you'd never say that if you lived in an area like Long Island, NY or any of the boroughs of New York City. The fact is we _are_ living in fear and it's for good reason.

Robert

P.S. S.Pupp, well said.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2020 04:29PM by Robert M.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: May 18, 2020 04:55PM
Bernie
If you are living in FEAR, move away.

Bernie
I have a concealed carry permit...

facepalm
Posted by: PeterB
Date: May 18, 2020 04:57PM
I'm in a medium-high risk category, I'm not going out in public without an N95, or maybe not out at all.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: $tevie
Date: May 18, 2020 05:00PM
I have a friend who is a nurse and her posts about the people she has seen die in agony without family around them are heartbreaking. She is so angry that people dismiss masks as some kind of paranoia or baseless fear. The danger is real. To not care that one might kill someone is the height of selfishness. And this nurse works in Maryland, hardly a coronavirus hotspot, yet she is seeing death all around her.

If people are afraid, it is because they are afraid of people who want to go around exhaling droplets with no knowledge about whether or not they may be spreading the virus. I have a friend who got coronavirus from a mask-free Instacart delivery person, literally the only person she had contact with during the two/three weeks prior to coming down with it.

It's not a game.

Date: May 18, 2020 05:11PM
I have seen, heard, and smelt, death. patriot smiley

I choose to live. soapbox smiley

My son died twice in one night. Once in the ambulance to the hospital and then in the helicopter between hospitals.
He is 26 now.

Stop living in FEAR. Take precautions that YOU are comfortable with.

If you live in a TOXIC environment, move away. Take the people you love with you.

People are social animals but not meant to live like or treated like ants.

I say these things because I genuinely care about you urbanites.

Semper

Edit
Packing heat when you travel and work shift work is just good sense.

Staunton, Virginia

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2020 05:15PM by Bernie.
Date: May 18, 2020 05:18PM
You still don't get it. YOU have to take the precautions for OTHERS. YOU are the one who should move, because you disrespect everyone around you. Move to Montana and live in a cabin where you can't endanger anybody.

Date: May 18, 2020 06:05PM
Bernie,

You don't get it. This is about living in the current reality, where getting exposed and, worse, infected with Covid-19 is as easy as touching a doorknob that was touched by someone with the virus (symptomatic or not) and not sanitized properly. It's the reality where we have to deal with disrespectful @#$%& who _aren't_ taking safety precautions and, as a result, putting everyone at risk. Am I living with fear? Absolutely and with good reason.

I laughed out loud when I read your statements about a toxic environment and moving. No. Moving isn't necessarily a viable option nor is it remotely as easy as you're implying in your posts. I, for one, don't have the luxury of moving and I'm sure many people can say the same. I didn't have the luxury of moving before the pandemic and I absolutely don't have it now. I've no idea if/when I'll ever have the luxury of leaving Long Island.

Robert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2020 09:04PM by Robert M.
Posted by: hal
Date: May 18, 2020 06:33PM
Bernie
Edit

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2020 03:15PM by Bernie.

how is it NOT trollish behavior to add that line when it has NOTHING to do with the topic, but is a sure fired way to rile up democrats?

Have some respect for your fellow forumites
Posted by: Janit
Date: May 18, 2020 06:34PM
Bernie,

You seem to regard "being a social animal" as all about rights, and never about responsibilities -- so you get to be around other people as much as you want without regard to how your behavior may affect THEM.

That is not being a social animal; it is being a sociopathic one.
Date: May 18, 2020 07:04PM
Janit
Bernie,

You seem to regard "being a social animal" as all about rights, and never about responsibilities -- so you get to be around other people as much as you want without regard to how your behavior may affect THEM.

thumbs up

Posted by: Ted King
Date: May 18, 2020 07:31PM
$tevie
Janit
Bernie,

thumbs up

agree smiley
Posted by: bfd
Date: May 18, 2020 07:45PM
Another Covidiot revealed. As the king of Covidiots would say, Sad…
Date: May 18, 2020 08:16PM
Bernie
I have seen, heard, and smelt, death. patriot smiley

Woo. RollingEyesSmiley5 So have I.

Why would that excuse a person from taking a such a simple action to possibly keep death from others?

Bernie
I choose to live. soapbox smiley

Yeah, so do I. I just don't think I need to be a dick and ignore a basic public health request that requires such little effort on my part.

And I really don't understand why you consider this some sort of virtue.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: May 18, 2020 08:31PM

Just make sure to get in and close the door before any infected join you.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: deckeda
Date: May 18, 2020 10:06PM
The mask helps protect others, which in turn helps YOU later. It’s a very simple concept, contagions are.

That’s why the overwhelming responses here are science-based. You don’t need “feelings” or “beliefs” to fight a pandemic. You just need to be like d4 and not be a selfish @#$%& to your fellow humans.

It’s a simple ask.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: May 18, 2020 10:11PM
I live in a state and city that has decided that masks should be mandatory - even for those hiking alone or jogging on the seashore. They made exceptions for age and/or health conditions. These exceptions are important for people with conditions like COPD. If you have COPD wearing a mask can exacerbate breathing difficulties and you are excused from the mandate.

I have COPD and I wear a mask even if it does make going out more difficult. Selfish (read anti-social) members of society will always think their needs are more important than the needs of others.

Like trying to reason with a racist, no rational argument changes that sort of embedded thought process.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: May 18, 2020 10:28PM
> Why are you wearing a mask in public?

Because my parents taught me right from wrong.

Posted by: Speedy
Date: May 18, 2020 11:08PM
I wear a mask because I care about my fellow human beings. (That is also why I am a Democrat.)

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Sam3
Date: May 19, 2020 04:42AM
Bernie, why don't YOU take your own advice and stop living in FEAR??
Bernie

Actually, no. It's not good sense, it's fear. I have worked shift work many years, leaving work at midnight. I am now coming in to work at 4AM. I don't have a permit, I don't carry, I don't own a handgun. I'm not afraid to go to work, therefore why should I carry? I've traveled fairly often. For what it's worth, I like going to the range and shoot. I'm actually fairly competent and accurate. I learned in Scout camp.

The arts are not luxuries but assets that give way more than they cost.
--Ronald Tucker on YouTube

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open.
--Frank Zappa
Posted by: RgrF
Date: May 19, 2020 08:51AM
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: May 19, 2020 10:34AM
news from the epicenter

Hey, it worked in South Korea!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2020 10:59AM by Steve G..
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: May 19, 2020 11:23AM
Janit
Bernie,

This is a little harsh, but I think you're pointing at something important. First things first: I don't think Bernie is a sociopath.

Second, I think that this distinction - between one's obligations being to oneself or about being to one's geographic/social community - is critical. And I think it's important because for folks in the former camp (a la Bernie) are not generally indifferent toward increasing harm or endangering their loved ones; rather, they disagree with folks in the latter camp about who is best situated to judge risk and make decisions.

I raise this point because although there are some truly irresponsible people out there who are deliberately flouting restrictions (either for political reasons, or out of true conviction that covid-19 is not that dangerous), I think most folks in Bernie's position are interested in protecting their families and loved ones from the pandemic. However, to have critical life-changing decisions (whether to work, how and where to worship, when and if to see family) taken out of their hands and claimed by the government feels unjustified at least, and tyrannical at worst. It does, in a very real sense, imply that an authority can exercise better judgment than you can in these deeply personal matters. Some of us find it much easier to accept this - usually those of us who have greater trust in government to begin with. But I believe that these differences are not about intelligence, science literacy, or moral indifference, and if we get caught in that trap, our conversations stop being useful and turn into boring diatribes.

It's interesting that Bernie's position seems to imply greater trust of others' judgment in general (despite an implied distrust of authority, which isn't the same thing), while more progressive forum members' attitudes imply a skepticism of others' ability to make good, informed decisions. I wouldn't have guessed that the more conservative position would be more optimistic, but here I am learning something about my politics.

Anyhow, thanks for a mostly interesting discussion, all.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Date: May 19, 2020 11:24AM
These folks are not wearing masks:

They must be patriots!

A central Minnesota bar owner who vowed to open his business Monday in defiance of state orders has relented, as Minnesota’s ongoing COVID-19 shutdown of bars, restaurants and other public accommodations is heading for a legal battle.

The bar is Shady’s, in Albany, MN. Oh, you’ve not heard of Albany? Population 2734, in Stearns county (ie Michelle Bachman territory).

It’s the one in the middle of the map from today’s paper; despite being outstate MN, per the NYT, it has the 2nd highest number of Covid cases in the state:

Woo-hoo! We’ll show those scientists and infectious disease specialist we ain’t scared!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2020 11:47AM by pdq.
Date: May 19, 2020 11:25AM
Sam3
Bernie, why don't YOU take your own advice and stop living in FEAR??
Bernie

Actually, no. It's not good sense, it's fear. I have worked shift work many years, leaving work at midnight. I am now coming in to work at 4AM. I don't have a permit, I don't carry, I don't own a handgun. I'm not afraid to go to work, therefore why should I carry? I've traveled fairly often. For what it's worth, I like going to the range and shoot. I'm actually fairly competent and accurate. I learned in Scout camp.

I agree, it’s fear, but also a lot of ego.

Before I retired from being a truck driver I worked all hours of the night in some of the seediest areas in the country. I only had one attempted theft of cargo (in Philadelphia, in the early ‘70’s, at a meat distributor at about 8AM; my load was 600 pound tubs of lard, not swinging or boxed beef, etc.) and the thief drove off with nothing. It is against the law for truck drivers to pack guns, thank goodness, because many are right-wing whack-jobs. I did have a meat hook in the side compartment that I used to thump my tires that looked a bit fearsome but I never needed it for anything but tire thumping. Back then, before credit or fuel cards, truckers, like me, carried a fair amount of cash in order to buy fuel. We also had company checks but they were not always accepted. Of course, Diesel fuel, which was cheaper than gas, could be had for 20¢ or so a gallon in many places

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2020 11:26AM by Speedy.
Date: May 19, 2020 11:34AM
Stearns County, which is where I live, has a couple of slaughterhouses which are the main reason for the large number of cases. But, as the chief judge of the Wisconsin Supreme Court stated, the workers are not “regular folk”, they are mostly Hispanic and Somali immigrants.

Posted by: deckeda
Date: May 19, 2020 12:40PM
I'm still waiting to learn why red lights or stop signs at intersections should be trusted. After all, I am optimistic that I'll be OK.
Date: May 19, 2020 02:26PM
Today was almost normal.
The barber shop pole was spinning.
It is local election day here. Raining.
But they let you keep the pen you vote with.

"Wish You Were Here"

So, so you think you can tell Heaven from Hell, blue skies from pain.
Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
A smile from a veil?
Do you think you can tell?

Did they get you to trade your heroes for ghosts?
Hot ashes for trees?
Hot air for a cool breeze?
Cold comfort for change?
Did you exchange
A walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?

How I wish, how I wish you were here.
We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year,
Running over the same old ground.
What have we found?
The same old fears.
Wish you were here.

Staunton, Virginia
Date: May 19, 2020 02:42PM
Date: May 19, 2020 07:34PM
Bernie

Did you exchange

So, ummm...you consider wearing a mask the same as being in a cage?
Posted by: wurm
Date: May 19, 2020 07:47PM
Bernie
But they let make you keep the pen you vote with.

FTFY
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: May 19, 2020 08:08PM
Bernie
Did you exchange

A swing and a miss...

“All [my] songs are encouraging me; I guess I write them for me. It’s to encourage myself not to accept a lead role in a cage, but to go on demanding of myself that I keep auditioning for the walk-on part in the war, ‘cause that’s where I want to be. I wanna be in the trenches. I don’t want to be at headquarters; I don’t wanna be sitting in a hotel somewhere. I wanna be engaged.”
Roger Waters
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 145
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018