advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Vaccine experts say Moderna didn’t produce data critical to assessing Covid-19 vaccine
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: May 19, 2020 03:20PM
and you wonder why the market plunged 400 points today?

Vaccine experts say Moderna didn’t produce data critical to assessing Covid-19 vaccine
[www.cnbc.com]

Heavy hearts soared Monday with news that Moderna’s Covid-19 vaccine candidate — the frontrunner in the American market — seemed to be generating an immune response in Phase 1 trial subjects. The company’s stock valuation also surged, hitting $29 billion, an astonishing feat for a company that currently sells zero products.

But was there good reason for so much enthusiasm? Several vaccine experts asked by STAT concluded that, based on the information made available by the Cambridge, Mass.-based company, there’s really no way to know how impressive — or not — the vaccine may be.

While Moderna blitzed the media, it revealed very little information — and most of what it did disclose were words, not data. That’s important: If you ask scientists to read a journal article, they will scour data tables, not corporate statements. With science, numbers speak much louder than words.

Even the figures the company did release don’t mean much on their own, because critical information — effectively the key to interpreting them — was withheld.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Vaccine experts say Moderna didn’t produce data critical to assessing Covid-19 vaccine
Posted by: pdq
Date: May 19, 2020 03:34PM
Well, it was a small phase 1 study - which is to say, they just wanted to prove it didn’t make people sick.

Phase 2 typically comes next, where they use a larger number of people to look at dosage levels. Moderna said that might start in July.

Then, typically comes phase 3, where they compare the optimized dosage against placebo. A still larger number of people, and for a length of time where they would see a difference in infection rate. It’d take some time, since they’re just going to release such trial participants out into the world - they won’t intentionally expose them to Covid.

And _if_ everything goes well, _then_ they can start the process of manufacturing, delivering, and vaccinating with hundreds of millions, if not billions, of doses. (And may need multiple vaccinations weeks apart for each person).

Did I mention they are using a technique that has never been used for human vaccines before? If all those things came to pass, it would be the first time the FDA approved an RNA vaccine for human use.

Yeah, they should be able to do all that in 6 months time. Warp Speed.

RollingEyesSmiley5
Re: Vaccine experts say Moderna didn’t produce data critical to assessing Covid-19 vaccine
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: May 19, 2020 03:45PM
I thought it was widely understood from the start that their statement was engineered to move their stock and make a quick profit.

Date: May 19, 2020 04:18PM
I sincerely hope that this and other solutions work. I'd like to resume some sort of normal life.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: May 19, 2020 04:26PM
It would be interesting to see who sold at the high yesterday. this has all the markings of manipulation and I'll bet the SEC will think so too.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: bfd
Date: May 19, 2020 04:45PM
Warped data…
Posted by: sekker
Date: May 19, 2020 05:34PM
You know, the science is interesting. Given this technology, they could have 100 different versions of their non-standard vaccine running in parallel.

Then, during phase II, they could directly compare their rate at inducing viral-inhibiting antibodies.

Instead, they've put all their eggs into one basket.

Seems sketchy to me from a science perspective.
Date: May 19, 2020 05:50PM

SLAGMA!
Posted by: samintx
Date: May 19, 2020 06:48PM
I guess she has a right to contract Covid19 if she wants to...BUT SHE DOESNT HAVE A RIGHT TO SPREAD COVID! To me and you.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: May 20, 2020 12:16AM
I said a few days ago that it was really hard to accelerate vaccine research and keep it safe.

There are over 100 vaccine trials in progress. I bet at least one of them is going to have something similar to the Cutter Incident that Sarcany mentioned.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 130
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018