advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Mystery! Another head rolls, but why?
Posted by: pdq
Date: May 19, 2020 11:32PM

The head of NASA’s human spaceflight office [Doug Loverro] has resigned just one week before the agency plans to launch astronauts from American soil for the first time in nearly a decade.

Umm, okay - so what? But the plot thickens. Loverro’s “retirement” letter:

“Throughout my long government career of over four and a half decades I have always found it to be true that we are sometimes, as leaders, called on to take risks," wrote Loverro, who previously worked at the super-secret National Reconnaissance Office, which builds and launches military satellites. "The risks we take, whether technical, political, or personal, all have potential consequences if we judge them incorrectly. I took such a risk earlier in the year because I judged it necessary to fulfill our mission. Now, over the balance of time, it is clear that I made a mistake in that choice for which I alone must bear the consequences.“

"My leaving is because of my personal actions, not anything we accomplished together,"

sneaky smiley

Doesn’t help that it’s an open secret that this was a “retirement” in the same way that Anne Boleyn’s head was “retired” from her body.

While the agency officially announced Loverro's departure as a resignation, two industry officials told POLITICO that he was pushed out by NASA Administrator Jim Bridenstine.

This has apparently set the space set abuzz with speculation, sifting the statement in search of clues. (Try the comments on Ars for instance). The predominant speculation seems to be this has something to do with the three finalists selected for the new lunar landing system - Blue Origin was picked (along with Dynetix and SpaceX), but not Boeing.

And you know who’s behind Blue Origin, right?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Mystery! Another head rolls, but why?
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: May 19, 2020 11:36PM
Stinks of Boeing's political influence.

His "mistake" was cutting them even though they failed at every step.

Posted by: cbelt3
Date: May 20, 2020 08:15AM
Probably arguing against Space Force...
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: May 20, 2020 09:32AM

'Trump appoints cryogenics expert to head agency'
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 20, 2020 10:10AM
.......probably made fun of 'Space Force'.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 149
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018