advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Really not feeling good about this summer’s C-19 likelihood
Posted by: deckeda
Date: May 20, 2020 08:45PM
State’s recent re-opening results aren’t expected to be known without quite a delay due to what we already know how infections-symptoms-reportage lags.

Remember how things were “mostly OK” Jan-Feb?

I can’t reconcile why we shut down, then open up with infection numbers far worse (percentage-wise) than when we were shut down. That’s idiocy.

Welcome to rural America. It’s gonna get worse before it gets any better.

We did takeout tonight, but with the restaurant now open for seating, and me waiting next to two no-mask breathers in the vestibule, I’m like, why bother with takeout now? Our county’s numbers are 3-4 times worse today than just a couple weeks ago.

The fuse has been lit.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Really not feeling good about this summer’s C-19 likelihood
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: May 20, 2020 09:01PM
I’m 98% of the way to making the very hard decision to leave my job because of the Covid-19 risk.

I’ve just got too many risk factors, the work environment is just to rife with risk factors (Some of which can be mitigated, some only partially at best and an internal change of position isn’t an option), and the nature of the virus based on my profile is way too near to being, ‘one strike and you’re out’.

The prospect of looking for a new job is terrifying, and on top of everything else I may not qualify for unemployment. But I’ve had one too near fatal asthma attack in my life and I want nothing like that experience again.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: May 20, 2020 09:41PM
Obviously you are out of the loop, Georgia has been wide open for weeks and things are going great!

My wife planned to retire after fall semester 2021 from the local university but financially we are not quite there. She hates teaching online so we reached a compromise between the two of us. Her work offers phased retirement which allows her to keep her benefits but teach two classes instead of three each semester. She’ll do that this coming school year and then fall of ‘21 lead a study-abroad group, likely to Chile, which is full-time, then retire.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2020 09:51PM by Speedy.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: May 20, 2020 10:28PM
Blankity Blank
I’m 98% of the way to making the very hard decision to leave my job because of the Covid-19 risk.

I’ve just got too many risk factors, the work environment is just to rife with risk factors (Some of which can be mitigated, some only partially at best and an internal change of position isn’t an option), and the nature of the virus based on my profile is way too near to being, ‘one strike and you’re out’.

The prospect of looking for a new job is terrifying, and on top of everything else I may not qualify for unemployment. But I’ve had one too near fatal asthma attack in my life and I want nothing like that experience again.

One of the establishing requirements for unemployment is health risk. California is just about automatically approving everything that comes in, while some other states are a chaotic mess, not sure where you are or if this is applicable for you but that info shouldn't be too hard to find.

Use to be a guilt trip was imposed on applicants, that ended with this pandemic. I'm in a high risk group and would hate to be faced with the decision your looking at. If unregistered gig workers are now eligible you should have little trouble but that does vary from place to place.

Good luck.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: May 20, 2020 11:31PM
Speedy, we’re in TN these days, less crazy than GA thankfully. By some measures.

But that’s just it, pretty much everywhere there’s some flavor of crazy.
Posted by: Sam3
Date: May 21, 2020 03:51AM
Since tracking and isolating didn't happen, by which we could have shortened this pandemic from the start, the shut downs were to flatten the curve, since we can no longer get rid of it. Flattening implies that things get shut down enough that the medical community can get their hands around this, get enough equipment to manage it, keep the patient count low enough to manage it. Therefore the curve doesn't have to go down to the point where the shut downs were initiated before reopening, only low enough that hospitals don't get overwhelmed with cases.

Ideally we would stay shut down until the virus burns itself out, and won't spread, like New Zealand did, but the United States society won't allow that, neither will our government enact provisions to make that happen, i.e. government issuing regular, monthly Social Security-like payments to those in need, mandating employers keep their staff around if they want to get money to tide them over, banning foreclosures and evictions, testing of everyone, contact-tracing where needed, etc.

The arts are not luxuries but assets that give way more than they cost.
--Ronald Tucker on YouTube

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open.
--Frank Zappa
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: May 21, 2020 05:11AM
Don't count on enhanced unemployment, McConnell vowed yesterday to end it as soon as possible. He called it a crazy Democratic plan that should end. The GOP lead Senate voted 96-0 to pass the Cares Act

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: testcase
Date: May 21, 2020 08:20AM
“Obviously you are out of the loop, Georgia has been wide open for weeks and things are going great!

I’m guessing that Speedy is a mortician?
Posted by: pdq
Date: May 21, 2020 08:47AM
testcase
“Obviously you are out of the loop, Georgia has been wide open for weeks and things are going great!

I’m guessing that Speedy is a mortician?

goodone

No, Speedy has a very subtle, wry sense of humor which sometimes is mistaken for his actual belief, I think.

I have the same concerns about a rebound of Covid, but I’m guessing we’ll probably see it more pronounced this fall/winter, when people start heading back inside and have let their guard down.
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: May 21, 2020 11:00AM
Please wish my wife good luck. She returns tomorrow to a primary care clinic, which is reopening a month after one of the physicians was sickened by COVID-19.
Posted by: Ted King
Date: May 21, 2020 12:06PM
S. Pupp
Please wish my wife good luck. She returns tomorrow to a primary care clinic, which is reopening a month after one of the physicians was sickened by COVID-19.

Posted by: Speedy
Date: May 21, 2020 06:49PM
It’s the fault of all that testing:

“In upstate Monroe County, N.Y., home to the city of Rochester, hospitalizations of covid-19 patients have risen by about 70 percent over the past 10 days and 18 percent since reopening began on Friday. PolicyLab projects that cases in Monroe County will rise through the end of May before falling precipitously through mid-June.

Michael D. Mendoza, Monroe County’s public health commissioner, told reporters Tuesday that he believed hospitalizations have risen in large part because the county dramatically increased testing in May and is doing more testing in nursing homes and in hospitals. The number of covid-19 patients in intensive care and on ventilators has “remained relatively stable,” he said.”

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: May 21, 2020 09:07PM
Hospitalizations only correspond to testing? Wow, that's brilliant.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 135
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018