advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
More than 1,200 pastors say they’ll defy California’s state order and resume in-person services
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: May 21, 2020 03:25PM

Pack'em In!

pro: They will be social distancing
con: Singing hymns in enclosed spaces is suicide.

More than 1,200 pastors say they’ll defy California’s state order and resume in-person services
[myfox8.com]

A group of pastors claiming to represent tens of thousands of congregants say they’re opening the doors of their churches at the end of the month despite a state order to keep them closed.

More than 1,200 pastors in California have signed a petition that says they will resume in-person services beginning on May 31. That would defy the state’s stay-at-home order, which was enacted to combat the spread of the novel coronavirus.

“We believe you are attempting to act in the best interests of the state, but the restrictions have gone too far and for too long,” attorney Robert Tyler, who represents the pastors and the thousands of churches and ministries they lead, wrote in a letter to California Gov. Gavin Newsom.

Under Newsom’s current plan, churches would be allowed to reopen in Stage 3. But the state is currently in the early portion of its Stage 2 road map to reopen. Newsom has been under increasing pressure by the state’s faith-based institutions to reopen.

“In order to restore the proper balance between public safety and individual liberties, the clergy we represent have declared their intent to begin holding in-person church services beginning on Sunday, May 31, 2020,” the letter stated. “All services will be held in compliance with CDC and state guidelines for social distancing as is required of ‘essential businesses.'”
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: More than 1,200 pastors say they’ll defy California’s state order and resume in-person services
Posted by: deckeda
Date: May 21, 2020 03:41PM
Ooh, can they now be “essentially” TAXED now, too? Might help with a few healthcare costs 5-14 days later.
Re: More than 1,200 pastors say they’ll defy California’s state order and resume in-person services
Posted by: steve...
Date: May 21, 2020 04:04PM
Is this kinda like drinkin' the koolaid in Jonestown?

Northern California Coast
Posted by: wurm
Date: May 21, 2020 05:41PM
How can the churches be any more blatantly greedy? I'm a lapsed catholic, but I still consider myself a "believer". That said, every religion or faith I know of believes that its God is "everywhere". So pray all you want...at home. God will hear you. The only reason I can think of to gather in a church in this situation we're in, is to fill the collection basket.

As for the "God will protect me" argument, it reminds me of a joke that a priest told during a sermon when I was just a lad. I'm sure you've heard it or a variation of it.

Surely you’ve heard the old story of the man whose house was flooded and he climbed to the top of the roof to escape. There he prayed for God to rescue him. A boat came by, and the man refused the boat. “No, I have prayed for God to rescue me.” Then a helicopter came by, and the man refused the helicopter. “No, I have prayed for God to rescue me.” Finally, the flood waters overcame him and he died. Surprised and angry, he marched up to God in heaven and demanded why he didn’t respond to his prayer to rescue him. God, of course, smiled as he said, “well, I sent you a boat and a helicopter. What more did you want?”

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2020 05:42PM by wurm.
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: May 21, 2020 05:43PM
Heavens to Betsy!
Would it really take martial law to get people to behave reasonably in our country?
Posted by: Speedy
Date: May 21, 2020 05:58PM
wurm
How can the churches be any more blatantly greedy? I'm a lapsed catholic, but I still consider myself a "believer". That said, every religion or faith I know of believes that its God is "everywhere". So pray all you want...at home. God will hear you. The only reason I can think of to gather in a church in this situation we're in, is to fill the collection basket.

As for the "God will protect me" argument, it reminds me of a joke that a priest told during a sermon when I was just a lad. I'm sure you've heard it or a variation of it.

Surely you’ve heard the old story of the man whose house was flooded and he climbed to the top of the roof to escape. There he prayed for God to rescue him. A boat came by, and the man refused the boat. “No, I have prayed for God to rescue me.” Then a helicopter came by, and the man refused the helicopter. “No, I have prayed for God to rescue me.” Finally, the flood waters overcame him and he died. Surprised and angry, he marched up to God in heaven and demanded why he didn’t respond to his prayer to rescue him. God, of course, smiled as he said, “well, I sent you a boat and a helicopter. What more did you want?”

The version I heard was of a castaway on a desert island and three ships whose crews stopped to help.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: May 21, 2020 06:11PM
The Bible says to be seen praying in public, and that you shouldn't do it in the closet.

Or was it the other way around?
Posted by: Speedy
Date: May 21, 2020 06:15PM
What’s really behind Republicans wanting a swift reopening? Evangelicals.

[www.washingtonpost.com]

“Former six-term Ohio Rep. Bob McEwen (R) is a longtime evangelical leader who serves as an advisory member of James Dobson’s Family Talk board of directors. McEwen told me this week that evangelicals aren’t rattled by covid-19, either the disease or the government’s response to the pandemic, because the Bible instructs them not to let earthly fears overwhelm them. “They steal your life, your liberty and your freedom by using fear,” said McEwen. “Man, on his own without God, will always be fearful,” he added. “But the Bible says, ‘Fear not.’”

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Ted King
Date: May 21, 2020 06:26PM
Speedy
What’s really behind Republicans wanting a swift reopening? Evangelicals.

[www.washingtonpost.com]

“Former six-term Ohio Rep. Bob McEwen (R) is a longtime evangelical leader who serves as an advisory member of James Dobson’s Family Talk board of directors. McEwen told me this week that evangelicals aren’t rattled by covid-19, either the disease or the government’s response to the pandemic, because the Bible instructs them not to let earthly fears overwhelm them. “They steal your life, your liberty and your freedom by using fear,” said McEwen. “Man, on his own without God, will always be fearful,” he added. “But the Bible says, ‘Fear not.’”

That just shows that the Bible is so full of nebulous sounding things that it can be used to justify anything you want to do.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2020 06:27PM by Ted King.
Posted by: bfd
Date: May 21, 2020 06:59PM
Peter Popoff is still televising (and conning people) nightly.

Where there's a will, there's a way…
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: May 21, 2020 07:27PM
For the pastors over 60 that participate, I expect there will be 2% less of them in four weeks.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: RgrF
Date: May 21, 2020 10:11PM
bfd
Peter Popoff is still televising (and conning people) nightly.

Where there's a cash flow, there's a way…
Posted by: Robert M
Date: May 22, 2020 07:51AM
Hi everyone,

Seems they didn't learn from Bishop Gerald Glenn of Chesterfield, VA. He continued services, caught the virus and died.

Robert
Posted by: deckeda
Date: May 22, 2020 09:18AM
Robert M
Hi everyone,

Seems they didn't learn from Bishop Gerald Glenn of Chesterfield, VA. He continued services, caught the virus and died.

Robert

Things that happen to others are an anomaly to them, not relatable. And that’s ironic, given that their subject material is all about parables and other stories intended to teach lessons.

Speaking of which, that’s what science is trying to do FOR them, by letting them know that being in close quarters, and singing, are bad ideas during a pandemic. Shopping malls aren’t getting “an advantage” because it’s not a competition (!) except to people who see the world as a zero-sum game.

I understand the desire for fellowship but these leaders display a tragic lack of imagination for how to temporarily(!) run their services. More irony, given that imagination and a bucket of Kool-Aid are prerequisites for walking in the door.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 267
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018