advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
"Warren pivots on 'Medicare for All' in bid to become Biden's VP"
Posted by: Ted King
Date: May 21, 2020 06:38PM
[www.politico.com]

In the thick of primary season, Elizabeth Warren and Joe Biden brawled over "Medicare for All”: He called her approach “angry,” “elitist,” “condescending”; she shot back, anyone who defends the health care status quo with industry talking points is “running in the wrong presidential primary.”

Six months later, with Biden the presumptive Democratic nominee and Warren in the running for VP, she is striking a more harmonious chord.

"I think right now people want to see improvements in our health care system, and that means strengthening the Affordable Care Act," she told students at the University of Chicago’s Institute of Politics this week, while adding that she still wants to get to single payer eventually.

The shift is the latest public signal Warren has sent Biden's way in recent weeks that she wants the job of vice president — and wants Biden to see her as a loyal governing partner despite their past clashes, which go back decades.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: "Warren pivots on 'Medicare for All' in bid to become Biden's VP"
Posted by: Speedy
Date: May 21, 2020 06:40PM
Ain’t gonna happen.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: bfd
Date: May 21, 2020 06:51PM
He needs to choose someone that's unlike him in just about every way. Black, young, female.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: May 21, 2020 06:53PM
If she did the flip for political (VP) positioning then she should not have. I like her but she's going to seem craven and craven won't sell with her base. She was never going to be the Dem VP nominee anyway.

I suspect Politico has their head stuck up their collective ass and is attempting to use their platform to become a player, one above their pay grade.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2020 06:53PM by RgrF.
Posted by: vision63
Date: May 21, 2020 07:27PM
Why should she stick with a fantasy proposal? She's a Senator, she knows what can get done.
Date: May 21, 2020 07:57PM
Craven may work for you, it doesn't work for a lot of the folks you want to get out and vote your way. You sometimes sound like you could just take a contract and work that contract regardless of platform.
Date: May 21, 2020 08:08PM
RgrF
Craven may work for you, it doesn't work for a lot of the folks you want to get out and vote your way. You sometimes sound like you could just take a contract and work that contract regardless of platform.

They need to make what they want make sense first. All these people you keep talking about need to figure that out. This wishy-washing backstabbing attitude act is old. It's just people that are okay with Trump if they can't get their way. Nobody gets their way. We're all old enough to know that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2020 08:08PM by vision63.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: May 21, 2020 08:35PM
I don't think the health care industry or wall street will permit Biden to select Warren.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Date: May 21, 2020 08:42PM
Filliam H. Muffman
I don't think the health care industry or wall street will permit Biden to select Warren.

Mass has a Republican Gov.
Date: May 21, 2020 09:53PM
vision63
Filliam H. Muffman

Charlie Baker isn't a Trumper, Gavin Newsom, in his pursuit of a national identity, has conceded more to the GOP than Baker. Baker isn't going anywhere with the national GOP, so he's free to just govern his state. Newsom is caveing and amassing huge dollars all in an effort to pick up the sticks if when Joe fails.
Date: May 21, 2020 10:32PM
RgrF
vision63
Filliam H. Muffman

Charlie Baker isn't a Trumper, Gavin Newsom, in his pursuit of a national identity, has conceded more to the GOP than Baker. Baker isn't going anywhere with the national GOP, so he's free to just govern his state. Newsom is caveing and amassing huge dollars all in an effort to pick up the sticks if when Joe fails.

That @#$%& is never going to happen unless Joe dies.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: May 21, 2020 10:47PM
I can think of at least a half dozen positions Warren could have that would not be a colossal waste of her time and talents like being VP would. Starting with the job she has right now.

Posted by: PeterB
Date: May 21, 2020 10:55PM
bfd
He needs to choose someone that's unlike him in just about every way. Black, young, female.

Unfortunately, there are too many whites for whom this would be a dealbreaker -- particularly because the VP could become Pres. You could argue that those folks wouldn't have likely voted for him anyway, but we've seen from 2016 how important the swing voters are, that every vote counts. I agree that it is smart for him to choose a woman, but race should be a secondary factor. The best candidate is who should get it.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Date: May 21, 2020 11:16PM
As Treasury Sec Warren would be a hell of a lot more influential than she'll ever be as one of a hundred Senators.
Posted by: sekker
Date: May 22, 2020 09:03AM
Biden isn’t going to pick a black vp candidate. He has that voting block. He needs a candidate that is a draw from The Idiot’s base.
Date: May 22, 2020 10:04AM
sekker
Biden isn’t going to pick a black vp candidate. He has that voting block. He needs a candidate that is a draw from The Idiot’s base.

Yes, that's what I think too. That might mean Klobuchar, Whitmer, or possibly Val Demings... if Biden gets Florida, that would make it VERY hard for the Dotard. I hate to say it, but Biden essentially has to play the electoral college game and snatch one of the bigger swing state electoral votes. As an aside, it's saying something that he has an excess of excellent, qualified female candidates, any of whom would make a fine VP, independent of whether or not they'd help him win...

Date: May 22, 2020 10:48AM
PeterB
As an aside, it's saying something that he has an excess of excellent, qualified female candidates, any of whom would make a fine VP, independent of whether or not they'd help him win...

So true.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: May 22, 2020 11:07AM
PeterB
sekker

Yes, that's what I think too. That might mean Klobuchar, Whitmer, or possibly Val Demings... if Biden gets Florida, that would make it VERY hard for the Dotard. I hate to say it, but Biden essentially has to play the electoral college game and snatch one of the bigger swing state electoral votes. As an aside, it's saying something that he has an excess of excellent, qualified female candidates, any of whom would make a fine VP, independent of whether or not they'd help him win...

Exactly what Hillary thought.

She won the Black vote overwhelmingly in Michigan, Wisconsin, and Ohio.

Know what she also got? Double-digit lower Black turnout in critical states.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: AllGold
Date: May 22, 2020 11:43AM
sekker

But no one Biden would pick is a draw from The Idiot's base. That would have to be someone like Sarah Palin or Laura Ingraham. Not going to happen.

rjmacs

Barring a gargantuan level of voter suppression, that shouldn't be a problem this time.

Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: May 22, 2020 12:52PM
I agree that there is very little overlap with The Cult of 45 voter base, so pursuing that bloc could be a dead end. Abrams is favored among progressives, but has little experience and being that there's a good chance for the VP to ascend, I don't think he'll pick someone who either was not on stage with him at some point and/or someone who isn't well known or regarded.

Warren will not be a choice. Gov Baker will choose a Republican to fill her seat - himself. And he will be overwhelmingly reelected to that seat, losing a Democrat in the balance.
Posted by: SteveO
Date: May 22, 2020 01:18PM
I agree Warren would be so much more effective at Treasury, or just about anything besides the figurehead title that is VP. I'd vote for her over an R but I feel she'll say whatever is expedient at the moment, and this latest development once again proves that out.

Obama was an unknown prior to his ascension in 2004 -- I want to say he'd been a national Senator less than a year when he was chosen to speak at the '04 DNC. (Am I remembering that right?) Abrams seems like a very solid choice to me, "inexperienced" or not. Intellect and progressive/non-corptocracy D values are what matter most to me.

And with Rove now onboard Drumpf's train, you can very safely bet on even more effective voter suppression by the Rs. As such, it'll take double or triple the best D effort to win this time.
Date: May 22, 2020 05:57PM
rjmacs
PeterB
sekker

Not sure what part of that you thought Hillary thought, but my point is that Biden has to win the electoral college, and to do that -- he needs to pull at least one of the bigger electoral college swing states: Florida, Ohio, Pennsylvania, etc. North Carolina, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Arizona may also come into play. To snatch one of those states from the Dotard, he needs a "middle America" blue-collar type, folksy, by whom some of those folks who voted for the Dotard the first time around might be swayed. [www.270towin.com]

Posted by: $tevie
Date: May 22, 2020 06:22PM
Biden needs a Black VP candidate. Don't say he already has the Black vote, because that's what we said about Clinton yet a lot of Black people took a pass that time around.

Forget about catering to his base. First of all, there is nothing that will change their minds. Second of all, all of the women mentioned are anathema to them.

The Trump voters are a lost cause. He needs the Obama voters who decided not to vote for Clinton. A Black person (and Joe has promised a woman) will get a lot of the 2016 disillusioned voters of all races who stayed home fired up, ready to go, to steal a phrase.

Date: May 22, 2020 06:28PM
$tevie
Biden needs a Black VP candidate. Don't say he already has the Black vote, because that's what we said about Clinton yet a lot of Black people took a pass that time around.

Forget about catering to his base. First of all, there is nothing that will change their minds. Second of all, all of the women mentioned are anathema to them.

The Trump voters are a lost cause. He needs the Obama voters who decided not to vote for Clinton. A Black person (and Joe has promised a woman) will get a lot of the 2016 disillusioned voters of all races who stayed home fired up, ready to go, to steal a phrase.

Let's not forget. They'll surely be going for double this time around.

Rigged: How Voter Suppression Threw Wisconsin to Trump
And possibly handed him the whole election.
[www.motherjones.com]
Date: May 22, 2020 06:47PM
$tevie

$tevie, with respect, this one I disagree. There are some who voted for Trump the first time around that can be pulled over to the other side (obviously not the diehards), especially given the handling of the coronavirus, plus you've got the independents. The black voters would have been unlikely to make a difference in the swing states that Hillary lost, with the only notable exception maybe being Florida. Unfortunately, you're looking at, as I said, a lot of white, blue-collar, middle-to-lower-class types. Of course, I'll vote for Joe regardless of who he picks as a running mate, but I think race should be a secondary factor after qualifications and what the candidate can bring to the table, especially so far as the electoral college is concerned.

Posted by: rjmacs
Date: May 23, 2020 01:26PM
I'm with $tevie.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: AllGold
Date: May 23, 2020 03:21PM
Trump won Michigan by less than 11,000 votes last time. There was a lot of both voter suppression in predominantly-black Detroit and a lot of voter apathy. The amount of voter surpression that will take place this November remains to be seen but I don't think apathy will be a problem this time.

Also, while we're not talking big numbers, there are some voters who went for Trump last time kind of as an experiment and to change the status quo. Those voters won't vote for Trump this time.

I think in Michigan, Trump will lose in a landslide.

Date: May 23, 2020 03:36PM
AllGold
Trump won Michigan by less than 11,000 votes last time. There was a lot of both voter suppression in predominantly-black Detroit and a lot of voter apathy. The amount of voter surpression that will take place this November remains to be seen but I don't think apathy will be a problem this time.

Also, while we're not talking big numbers, there are some voters who went for Trump last time kind of as an experiment and to change the status quo. Those voters won't vote for Trump this time.

Hope you're right.
Date: May 23, 2020 06:25PM
AllGold

This is part of the point I was trying to make, and why Whitmer might not be a bad choice. Also, it's not just that some people who went for Trump last time to change the status quo won't vote for him this time, it's also that some (as I said, obviously not the diehards) have finally figured out that he's NOT for them, and doesn't really have their best interests at heart... in other words, fool me once vs. fool me twice.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2020 06:25PM by PeterB.
Date: May 23, 2020 07:11PM
If we lose this election because people are being picky, I'm not going to do anything to Trump's voters because we can beat them. I'm going to find each wishy-washy, picky person on my side and stab them in the heart.
Date: May 23, 2020 07:54PM
If the Trumpies win this time, that may become an entirely legal form of political action.
Date: May 23, 2020 08:15PM
vision63
If we lose this election because people are being picky, I'm not going to do anything to Trump's voters because we can beat them. I'm going to find each wishy-washy, picky person on my side and stab them in the heart.

Date: May 23, 2020 08:43PM
vision63

Tell that to the Sanders and Warren supporters.

Date: May 23, 2020 08:54PM
Faced with an unprecedented wave of voter suppression, party Democrats pick up their most fearsome electoral weapons and go to full throated war - against their own voters.
Date: May 23, 2020 09:20PM
RgrF
Faced with an unprecedented wave of voter suppression, party Democrats pick up their most fearsome electoral weapons and go to full throated war - against their own voters.

It's not like everyone doesn't have "one" job.
Date: May 24, 2020 07:28AM
“When a man concludes that any stick is good enough to beat his foe with—that is when he picks up a boomerang.”
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 129
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018