advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
US secures 300 million doses of a vaccine that doesn't exist, probably won't ever exist...
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: May 22, 2020 07:35AM
[business.financialpost.com]

Drumpf: Get me a vaccine so I can say that I cured the virus when I run for re-election!

Dep't of Health: (Spins a wheel) Hmmm... There's no such thing as a coronavirus vaccine right now... Okay, we're going to give $1.2 billion to AstraZeneca.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2020 07:36AM by Sarcany.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: US secures 300 million doses of a vaccine that doesn't exist, probably won't ever exist...
Posted by: pdq
Date: May 22, 2020 09:33AM
Well, to be fair, this vaccine does exist - we just don’t know whether it’s safe and effective. There will be some preliminary, limited results along those lines fairly soon. Then comes a phase 3 trial, where a much larger group of people is either given the vaccine or a placebo, and rates of infection are compared. That will take some time.

One of the concerns I’ve heard about lately is that a vaccine may (fully or only partially) protect those vaccinated in an outcome sense, but may not prevent vaccinated folks from carrying the virus.

The chances that we will have widespread vaccination by the end of the year are nearly zero, I think. Maybe in 2021, “Warp Speed” notwithstanding.

Of course, this is just Trump throwing money at what he perceives as a political problem. This is the guy who is directing $1.3B toward a Trump-friendly company out of North Dakota to build a part of a border wall in Arizona. I don’t think I need to tell you they’ve never done this kind of thing before, nor taken on a project of this size. I wouldn’t put good odds on that working out either, but that doesn’t really matter for Trump, who is only looking for some red meat to throw at his rallies.
Re: US secures 300 million doses of a vaccine that doesn't exist, probably won't ever exist...
Posted by: GGD
Date: May 22, 2020 10:26AM
Remember this thread from two months ago...

[forums.macresource.com]

GGD
Re: Will you take the vaccine when it first comes out or wait?
Posted by: GGD [PM] [Ignore this user]
Date: March 24, 2020 02:05PM

rjmacs
GGD
Depends...

If it's science based and proven effective, then of course.

But if it's some unproven snake oil where the purpose is to funnel large amounts of tax dollars to some large donor's corporation, and all we have is 45 saying that "people are saying that this works", then I'll let others jump in line in front of me.

It's almost unimaginable that a product that meets your latter description could make it through our clinical testing regimen/drug approval process unless that whole system were overturned or suspended.

He's pretty good at doing "unimaginable" things. How many "cures" from "people are saying" has he proposed on live TV over the past few weeks? He'll find some way to bypass testing. He's looking for something quick that he can say fixes this problem so that he can get back to his rallies. He doesn't really care if it works.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: May 22, 2020 01:06PM
In October, Trump will be squealing that the Democrats and Deep State are keeping a cure or vaccine from him.
Posted by: hal
Date: May 22, 2020 02:05PM
I find this hilarious...

only 300M? What about the rest of the population?
Posted by: GGD
Date: May 22, 2020 02:17PM
hal
I find this hilarious...

only 300M? What about the rest of the population?

With his re-opening push, that's what he's expecting the population to be when the vaccine is ready.

Or you'll need to prove citizenship in order to get it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2020 02:20PM by GGD.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: May 22, 2020 06:12PM
pdq
Well, to be fair, this vaccine does exist - we just don’t know whether it’s safe and effective...

No, it's a vaccine-candidate in phase I "safety/side-effects" testing (to see if it hurts/kills people in any obvious way).

Phase II "biological effect" testing is where they see if it produces any sort of useful immune-response, and if it does then we could (still stretching it a bit) call it a vaccine at that point.

...If it makes it that far. Remember that at least 90% of vaccine-candidates fail and don't make it to phase-IV.

Posted by: pdq
Date: May 22, 2020 08:33PM
I kinda wish someone would nail down exactly what Trump means when he claims we’ll have a vaccine by the end of the year.

A reasonable person might assume a safe and efficacious vaccine in sufficient quantities to mount a widespread national vaccination push, which seems extraordinarily unlikely. But Trump will no doubt retro-define it as anything he wants.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: May 23, 2020 12:32AM
I kinda wish someone would nail down exactly what Trump means when he claims we’ll have a vaccine by the end of the year.

It means what he said, they'll push hard, disregard protocols and have something to announce, they just won't be able to declare it an effective vaccine.

They'll call it that, it won't be!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 291
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018