advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Just got back from crazy cross country trip
Posted by: sekker
Date: May 23, 2020 12:51PM
Flew to Phoenix one way with spouse to pack up son, pack in van (budget repurposed amazon prime delivery van), and drove back to upper Midwest.

Observations:

1) airport was deserted, less busy than 3 AM in normal times.

2) crazy airplane passengers like those that take mask off during flight. Not an accident that he also spent the time watching Fox News. If I get sick, it’s likely from him spitting on me.

3) most dangerous time out was in a business in Phoenix. It’s amazing how little that company followed safety recommendations. Just glad to be out of Phoenix.

4) I got a hair cut post COVID. Honestly not worried now. But I cannot believe these stylists will stay negative due to customers infecting them.

5) if I ran a retail business, I would require temperature checks to enter.

6) people are respectful when you wear a mask in public. Even when you are the only one amongst 50.

I’m glad we are back, but there’s no way we won’t have a second wave unless there’s something protective about the weather.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Just got back from crazy cross country trip
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: May 23, 2020 01:09PM
sekker
I’m glad we are back, but there’s no way we won’t have a second wave unless there’s something protective about the weather.

The weather is a little bit protective, but not against a massive wave of stupidity.

So long as you're outdoors in humid air, the little globules from people's spit will collide with water molecules in the air, gather mass and quickly settle to the ground.

Indoors, among other people, you're SOL. Wear a mask. In dry climates, just wear a friggin mask whenever you leave the house.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2020 01:10PM by Sarcany.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: May 23, 2020 01:10PM
One of my nieces was attending UCLA when things were closed down, and came back home to MA. She and her parents still need to get back out to CA to move her stuff out of her dorm room. Will be interesting to compare their observations with what you ran into.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 23, 2020 01:15PM
......fewer flights and most are packed particularly to main hubs.....

........despite what the airlines say....they don't distance on the planes....I would not take a chance and fly nowadays......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: May 23, 2020 01:23PM
Sarcany
sekker

The weather is a little bit protective, but not against a massive wave of stupidity.

So long as you're outdoors in humid air, the little globules from people's spit will collide with water molecules in the air, gather mass and quickly settle to the ground.

Indoors, among other people, you're SOL. Wear a mask. In dry climates, just wear a friggin mask whenever you leave the house.

I’m thinking humidity might be helping Florida combat the virus.

Yes, would seem the low humidity would doom Phoenix. But they are doing ok in general. Maybe the 110 degrees is also a bit protective.
Date: May 23, 2020 01:27PM
NewtonMP2100
......fewer flights and most are packed particularly to main hubs.....

........despite what the airlines say....they don't distance on the planes....I would not take a chance and fly nowadays......

Very few things would have my wife and I take a plane trip. But driving a truck two ways was not in the cards. We left the day after our travel restrictions ended. Was a safety issue leaving our son in Phoenix.

I think plenty of college families are in the same boat.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: May 23, 2020 01:47PM
sekker
Yes, would seem the low humidity would doom Phoenix. But they are doing ok in general. Maybe the 110 degrees is also a bit protective.

"Coronavirus cases in Arizona
At least 16,053 people have been reported to have COVID-19 in Arizona. According to reports, 801 have died."

"Maricopa County, AZ (Phoenix)
8,177 total confirmed cases
383 deaths
Last updated: 05/23/2020 (GMT)"
Posted by: pdq
Date: May 23, 2020 02:36PM
sekker
Observations:

...4) I got a hair cut post COVID. Honestly not worried now. But I cannot believe these stylists will stay negative due to customers infecting them.

They won’t. But it goes both ways:

A hairstylist with coronavirus worked for eight days this month while symptomatic, exposing as many as 91 customers and coworkers in Missouri, health officials said.

Great Clips, btw.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: May 23, 2020 03:48PM
meanwhile, in France...

'No, you're doing nothing wrong. Just looking.'
Posted by: TheCaber
Date: May 23, 2020 05:11PM
...in Nice. The entire hill in the upper left of the photo is a cemetery; very pretty, but a hellacious hike for an aging boomer...

=TC

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2020 05:24PM by TheCaber.
Date: May 23, 2020 05:44PM
DeusxMac
sekker

"Coronavirus cases in Arizona
At least 16,053 people have been reported to have COVID-19 in Arizona. According to reports, 801 have died."

"Maricopa County, AZ (Phoenix)
8,177 total confirmed cases
383 deaths
Last updated: 05/23/2020 (GMT)"

Using the COVID deaths/100k statistic, Arizona is very low (and close to CA) and yet they did not do the same massive government lockdowns.

[www.statista.com]

Nearly 1/15 the rate of NY, or 1/9 the rate of MA.
Date: May 23, 2020 05:45PM
TheCaber
...in Nice. The entire hill in the upper left of the photo is a cemetery; very pretty, but a hellacious hike for an aging boomer...

Very pretty hill(s) in Nice you are looking at, I see!
Date: May 23, 2020 06:10PM
(...Sorry. Somehow posted twice.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2020 06:12PM by Sarcany.
Date: May 23, 2020 06:11PM
sekker
Using the COVID deaths/100k statistic, Arizona is very low (and close to CA) and yet they did not do the same massive government lockdowns...

Under the Swedish model, they're finding that low population density slows the initial spread for a little while, then suddenly rates will spike and a massive number of people will die in a very small period of time.

...The United States is now following the Swedish model in all of our low-population states.

Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: May 23, 2020 09:25PM
Sarcany
sekker
Using the COVID deaths/100k statistic, Arizona is very low (and close to CA) and yet they did not do the same massive government lockdowns...

Under the Swedish model, they're finding that low population density slows the initial spread for a little while, then suddenly rates will spike and a massive number of people will die in a very small period of time.

...The United States is now following the Swedish model in all of our low-population states.

Our County in WI:
0 new cases
48 total cases
40 recovered
0 hospitalized
0 deaths

The entire state only has 500 deaths. Not everywhere is anything like CA or NY.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Date: May 23, 2020 10:11PM
C(-)ris
Sarcany
sekker

Our County in WI:
0 new cases
48 total cases
40 recovered
0 hospitalized
0 deaths

Indeed. And in the entire state of MN, 80% of deaths are in long-term care facilities.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: May 23, 2020 11:19PM
sekker
C(-)ris
Sarcany
sekker

Our County in WI:
0 new cases
48 total cases
40 recovered
0 hospitalized
0 deaths

Indeed. And in the entire state of MN, 80% of deaths are in long-term care facilities.

But what would the number of cases and deaths have been without the limits on travel, recommendations on social distancing, and school closings? Both WI and MN would have had a lot more people entering and leaving the states and possibly exposing residents to the virus they had been exposed to back in say NY or CA.

I mentioned my niece earlier in this topic. Instead of UCLA her first acceptance to a school she wanted to attend was UW-Madison. If she had gone there, and gone home for Spring Break back to MA, and then returned, there would have been at least a chance of her carrying the virus. One of my sisters that she might have been in contact at home is a RN who so far that I know of has been exposed to at least 2 COVID positive persons as a visiting nurse.

Now multiply that by all of the other out of state students from a multitude of states, and other travelers into the state...
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: May 23, 2020 11:46PM
States with low deaths might be not testing and/or reporting. More than one state has essentially refused to test inmates as a way to keep them from knowing it is spreading, and to keep them from rioting. Senior/long term care and high density employers like meat packers too.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: RgrF
Date: May 24, 2020 12:39AM
Wisconsin isn't a travel hub. Bragging on his China ban, the idiot overlooked Brasil where there's a conflagration of cases - all while leaving that travel corridor open.

The Brasilian strongman has patterned himself on Trump style politics, ergo - no travel ban.

In Trumpland everything is political!
Posted by: pdq
Date: May 24, 2020 08:37AM
RgrF
Wisconsin isn't a travel hub. Bragging on his China ban, the idiot overlooked Brasil where there's a conflagration of cases - all while leaving that travel corridor open.

The Brasilian strongman has patterned himself on Trump style politics, ergo - no travel ban.

In Trumpland everything is political!

Quite. Brazil is likely much more of a danger to US than China was, but Bolsonaro is a Trump fan, and vice versa.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: May 24, 2020 11:46AM
C(-)ris
Our County in WI:
0 new cases
48 total cases
40 recovered
0 hospitalized
0 deaths

Keep testing!

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Date: May 24, 2020 01:55PM
rjmacs
C(-)ris
Our County in WI:
0 new cases
48 total cases
40 recovered
0 hospitalized
0 deaths

Keep testing!

And follow reporting of deaths - COVID-confirmed and not confirmed. I honestly only folliow: ICU admissions and deaths. Testing can be too easily confused, especially with antibody testing being added to PCR testing.
Date: May 24, 2020 02:01PM
By the way, this trip was an absolute necessity. And we waited for the Stay at Home order to expire, wore masks and PPE at all stops, and kept social distancing when possible. With one exception of a vehicle-based visit to what is clearly an unsafe business, we did our best to follow CDC guidelines and best practices. And our wearing of masks was respected, which is not what I hear from media reports.

But there's no question we are heading on the Swedish path in all of the states we visited - AZ, NM, Texas, OK, MO, IA, MN
Date: May 24, 2020 02:48PM
Sarcany
sekker

And in some of our higher population states...
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: May 24, 2020 03:50PM
Sarcany
...The United States is now following the Swedish model

following the Swedish model sounds like a great idea to me!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 163
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018