advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
China stopped the virus with 84k and only 4600 deaths. if this is true, it is impressive
Posted by: space-time
Date: May 23, 2020 07:05PM
They were the first to deal with this virus and managed to contain it on their own. We had about 1-2 months advance notice, and we should have prepared, and we learned something about it before it hit us, yet pretty much every other country in the world failed to contain the virus. How did China manage to contain it with only 84k cases and 4600 deaths? If true, that is outstanding.

I understand the numbers could be higher than reported, but even if they were 5x higher, that is still way less that US. Even at 10x higher that is about 1/2 of the cases we have now. And many other countries are well above 100k with no sign of relieve in sight.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: China stopped the virus with 84k and only 4600 deaths. if this is true, it is impressive
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: May 23, 2020 07:31PM
China had an effective quarantine and contact-tracing program.

We don't.

Re: China stopped the virus with 84k and only 4600 deaths. if this is true, it is impressive
Posted by: space-time
Date: May 23, 2020 08:05PM
and that is why is impressive.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: May 23, 2020 08:21PM
They probably definitely under reported and being a totalitarian government were able to use all aspects of their police and military to lock their population in place.

They're now turning that unitary strength on abolishing the Hong Kong Treaty, you can bet Taiwan will be next. The US today has no effective leadership or international respect and is in no position to prevent any of this happening.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: May 24, 2020 07:13AM
China shutdown an entire city, even welding shut the doors of apartments of people who wouldn’t stay put to keep them in. We kept mass transit open in NYC helping to facilitate the spread of the virus.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Mr645
Date: May 24, 2020 07:56AM
Many sources report the number of bodies being cremated far exceed the reported number of fatalities due to COVID 19
Posted by: RgrF
Date: May 24, 2020 08:09AM
US states are following that lead, what is to be done?
Posted by: pdq
Date: May 24, 2020 08:45AM
Mr645
Many sources report the number of bodies being cremated far exceed the reported number of fatalities due to COVID 19

I don’t trust the Chinese government enough to think they might have been downplaying the numbers a bit, but they’ve gone to essentially zero new cases, and we’re still seeing over a thousand deaths per day (after day, after day), with overwhelmed hospitals and ICUs (see Alabama) <— That would be harder to hide, I think. They took serious health measures, while we dithered. The needed measures may not have been possible here, but an incompetent leadership response should not be excused.

RgrF
They're now turning that unitary strength on abolishing the Hong Kong Treaty, you can bet Taiwan will be next. The US today has no effective leadership or international respect and is in no position to prevent any of this happening.

Exactly. I think a wish for good international relations, particularly with the world’s number 1 superpower, has moderated China in the past. With Trump’s continued demonization of China for years now, I think China has gotten tired of getting punched in the nose repeatedly and decided to do whatever they damn well please.

Elections have consequences.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2020 08:53AM by pdq.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: May 24, 2020 11:49AM
Mr645

Was it approaching 100,000? Because if not, WE'RE STILL WINNING!!!

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: May 24, 2020 01:25PM
I don't trust Chinese reports any more than I do American reports.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: May 24, 2020 01:31PM
[www.forbes.com]

Among the first and the fastest responses was from Tsai Ing-wen in Taiwan. Back in January, at the first sign of a new illness, she introduced 124 measures to block the spread without having to resort to the lockdowns that have become common elsewhere. She is now sending 10 million face masks to the U.S. and Europe. Tsai managed what CNN has called “among the world’s best” responses, keeping the epidemic under control, still reporting only six deaths.

...Who knew leaders could sound like this? Now we do.

Now, compare these leaders and stories with the strongmen using the crisis to accelerate a terrifying trifecta of authoritarianism: blame-“others,” capture-the-judiciary, demonize-the-journalists, and blanket their country in I-will-never-retire darkness (Trump, Bolsonaro, López Obrador, Modi, Duterte, Orban, Putin, Netanyahu…)

We suck.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2020 01:35PM by Sarcany.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: May 24, 2020 01:38PM
*China has 240 million people over 60, they are going to have thousands of deaths every month in every big city without considering the flu or kicking off a worldwide pandemic. China has been cremating about 45% of the population as of 2008. Even if China had 10 times as many COVID-19 deaths as reported (this is after China raised their death numbers by 50%), they are still at less than half the number in the US.

*please note, I have been a major critic of China pretty much ever since I started posting here. I can't find it at this moment, but I thought I had posted a guess that Wuhan had at least 20,000 total dead around the end of Feb.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: sekker
Date: May 24, 2020 01:43PM
China is truly reopening their economy. That's the current definition of success.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: May 24, 2020 03:09PM
Mr645

So? Absent any information on how many are normally cremated during a similar timespan, and how many of the bodies were of people who died from other causes, those reports are meaningless.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: May 26, 2020 06:02PM
If Brazil doesn't do something quick they're going to blow right by our death toll IMO.

Grateful11
Posted by: Sam3
Date: May 27, 2020 04:18AM
Grateful11
If Brazil doesn't do something quick they're going to blow right by our death toll IMO.

They have a leader who is worse than Trump. This guy doesn't even want to acknowledge a problem.

The arts are not luxuries but assets that give way more than they cost.
--Ronald Tucker on YouTube

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open.
--Frank Zappa
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 139
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018