Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Trump advisor claims the virus was "unleashed" by China
Posted by: PeterB
Date: May 24, 2020 12:34PM
[www.politico.com]

"We'll see an HBO special about 10 or 15 years from now."

"They unleashed a virus on the world that's destroyed trillions of dollars in American economic wealth that we're having to spend to keep our economy alive, to keep Americans afloat during this virus."

... comparing this to Chernobyl is about as farfetched and myopic as I can imagine. First, accidents can happen anywhere (and that's assuming it was some sort of lab accident, for which there is currently no proof to evaluate). Second, the implication is that this was some sort of manmade thing, which has been repeatedly rejected by the scientific community. Third, the idea that this was "unleashed" ... yeah, right, like China intentionally wanted to "unleash" something that would devastate their own people. This view also misses the point that it's not about the virus, but about our response to it -- or lack thereof. If you have to make one, to me, a better analogy would therefore be Katrina ... hurricanes happen, but it's about our preparedness for, and response to, a disaster that counts (obviously both of those were lacking for Katrina as well).

I do think we will see an HBO special on this in 10-15 years, but it'll be about how 100,000+ people died because a big orange f@rt sitting in the WH cut the CDC budget and response team, didn't heed advance reports, didn't respond properly when the emergency was obvious, and cared more about himself, his own position, and money, than about peoples' lives.

Edit: obviously, I'm well aware that there are similarities between this situation and Chernobyl, but I'm concerned that the analogy is being used as a way to deflect blame from our great "leader".

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2020 01:31PM by PeterB.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Trump advisor claims the virus was "unleashed" by China
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: May 24, 2020 12:56PM
I'm glad that with Robert O'Brien, Trump has finally found a National Security Advisor he loves.

Can't say the U.S., HBO or history will say the same.

Whatever happened to that Bolton guy and his book, anyway?
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: May 24, 2020 01:17PM
PeterB
[www.politico.com]

"We'll see an HBO special about 10 or 15 years from now."...

If 45 gets another term, we'll see a TV special about the heroic president who prevented the terror of a hoax virus by nationalizing the all news outlets.

Date: May 24, 2020 01:41PM
Steve G.
I'm glad that with Robert O'Brien, Trump has finally found a National Security Advisor he loves.

Can't say the U.S., HBO or history will say the same.

Whatever happened to that Bolton guy and his book, anyway?

Last I heard, it'd been delayed, for a "security review" (reasons other than coronavirus, but who knows?) [www.usatoday.com]

Sarcany
PeterB
[www.politico.com]

"We'll see an HBO special about 10 or 15 years from now."...

If 45 gets another term, we'll see a TV special about the heroic president who prevented the terror of a hoax virus by nationalizing the all news outlets.

Luckily, he doesn't control all the news outlets (yet) ... I could see this being a Frontline special, rather than an HBO one. The mounting resemblance between this guy and other world dictators has become truly terrifying.

Posted by: sekker
Date: May 24, 2020 01:50PM
June 23, 2020 - let's hope the book sees the light of day.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: May 24, 2020 01:54PM
The lines are drawn, facts won't change minds that are set. The few who truly don't know up from down will decide this thing, isn't that encouraging?
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: May 24, 2020 02:23PM
Given Chinese quality control in other areas I can certainly see an accidental release...e.g. a careless lab worker gets infected with something under study and is either asymptomatic or once they realize they're infected both decides to and manages to hide mild symptoms from their employer.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2020 02:25PM by Bill in NC.
Date: May 24, 2020 02:40PM
Bill in NC
Given Chinese quality control in other areas I can certainly see an accidental release...e.g. a careless lab worker gets infected with something under study and is either asymptomatic or once they realize they're infected both decides to and manages to hide mild symptoms from their employer.

We were running that lab with the Chinese. We would be every bit as responsible for any release, but that's moot because they never worked on active viruses. There was no way to release it from that lab.

Posted by: sekker
Date: May 24, 2020 02:50PM
Sarcany
Bill in NC

We were running that lab with the Chinese. We would be every bit as responsible for any release, but that's moot because they never worked on active viruses. There was no way to release it from that lab.

The irony is palpable.
Posted by: testcase
Date: May 24, 2020 08:37PM
What proof is there that China did NOT "unleash" the virus? dunno smiley
Date: May 24, 2020 08:48PM
testcase

Where's the proof that Donald Trump isn't secretly Rosemary’s Baby? dunno smiley

Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: May 24, 2020 08:51PM
testcase

“Unleash” denotes active, purposeful intent, not accident nor unawareness.
Date: May 24, 2020 10:58PM
DeusxMac
testcase

“Unleash” denotes active, purposeful intent, not accident nor unawareness.

To me, it's possible you could use the word to suggest that it was unintentional, but ... even if it was unintentional-- the use of the word "unleash" at least implies that China is to blame, when as I pointed out, this could have happened anywhere, to anyone (IF it was even something that escaped from a lab, which is still not in any way proven). And regardless, it takes away from the fact that we had advance warning and yet did not take appropriate steps, and are now prioritizing money over peoples' lives.

Posted by: RgrF
Date: May 25, 2020 02:16AM
Technically the word denotes that something was previously on a leash, in other words under control. In this case it's a misuse of the term for political purposes.
Posted by: pdq
Date: May 25, 2020 03:31AM
Asking for proof of a negative assertion.

A fool’s errand...
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: May 25, 2020 08:28AM
RgrF
Technically the word denotes that something was previously on a leash, in other words under control. In this case it's a misuse of the term for political purposes.

EXACTLY!
Posted by: Ted King
Date: May 25, 2020 09:58AM
The evidence appears to point toward China's "wet markets" where they sell wild animal meat (among other things) as being the origin of the virus jumping into the human population. It may feel good to do a blame game thing against the Chinese, but a much more fruitful approach would be to push the Chinese to shut down the sale of wild animal meat since it has such a high propensity to introduce deadly viruses to people (e.g., ebola, mers, sars).

I don't doubt that some local people are emotionally attached to buying and eating wild animals from such markets, but the cost of them be able to do so is much too high for the rest of the world to bear.

All such wild animal meat markets should be banished world wide and the international community should shell out money to mitigate the negative consequences for those who rely on them for sustenance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2020 12:01PM by Ted King.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: May 25, 2020 12:36PM
testcase

Nobody is going to point out the hilarity of actually asking for proof of a negative?

smiley-laughing001

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Date: May 25, 2020 01:07PM
rjmacs
testcase

Nobody is going to point out the hilarity of actually asking for proof of a negative?

smiley-laughing001

Because the Trumpsters are convinced of anything coming out of the orange f@rt's mouth, no matter how gaseous and foul it is, so to them there's proof that China *did* "unleash" it (or at least the hazy/racist implication that they did), and they don't even need to see the proof.

Date: May 25, 2020 01:51PM
rjmacs
testcase

smiley-laughing001

I thought I did.

Posted by: rjmacs
Date: May 25, 2020 03:28PM
Sarcany
rjmacs
testcase

smiley-laughing001

I thought I did.

I thought your proposition was defensible on its face.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 193
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018