advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Social Isolation vs Captivity
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: May 27, 2020 02:30PM
I read an article by a wildlife photographer that raised an interesting thought in regard to zoos that I had not considered.

Caging animals is also something he wrestles with. “There is a place for zoos,” he says, but they can’t provide the range of habitats that big, wide-roaming animals like tigers need. “I think we can all relate to this now after this Covid pandemic, what it’s like to be locked up in a flat with restricted movement – well that’s exactly what we’ve inflicted on a lot of these big animals in zoos or in captivity.”

I can completely see his point and will admit to having my own mixed feelings. Like many issues there are degrees to consider. Is a captive big cat kept on an acre the same as a captive Lynx on an acre? Does intelligence matter - a chimpanzee or gorilla the same as a squirrel monkey? Is there any excuse to keeping a Killer Whale or Elephant in captivity? What about an injured animal that wouldn't be likely to survive in the wild?

I definitely will never look at an animal in captivity the same again.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Social Isolation vs Captivity
Posted by: btfc
Date: May 27, 2020 02:41PM
As a very small child I was very disturbed by seeing a tiger in a small cage; I knew intrinsically that the ceaseless pacing was not right. Later, on a field trip to the zoo in First Grade, I was really bothered by other kids taunting the gorilla. Zoos today are better than they were, but I don’t support holding wild animals in captivity except in limited circumstances such as species preservation.
Posted by: hal
Date: May 27, 2020 02:56PM
btfc
As a very small child I was very disturbed by seeing a tiger in a small cage; I knew intrinsically that the ceaseless pacing was not right. Later, on a field trip to the zoo in First Grade, I was really bothered by other kids taunting the gorilla. Zoos today are better than they were, but I don’t support holding wild animals in captivity except in limited circumstances such as species preservation.

I had a similar experience at the Sacramento Zoo when I was a kid. The big cats were in 12x12 cages (maybe bigger, but that's how I remember it) and they were ALL miserable. It was obvious. That really turned me off of zoos for quite a while. I've only visited a zoo 2-3 times as an adult.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: May 27, 2020 05:18PM
After experiencing animals in their wild, natural habitat, it is very difficult to later accept seeing them in captivity; especially the larger animals.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: May 27, 2020 07:15PM
Our Covid captivity doesn't really compare because, at least in the United States, we're still free to go out when we want to. I have never been prevented from going for a walk or a drive wherever and whenever I want.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 117
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018