advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
New executive order re social media
Posted by: hal
Date: May 27, 2020 05:29PM
Yamiche Alcindor (twitter)

NEWS: On the flight back to Washington, WH Press Sec Kayleigh McEnany came back just before landing to say that Pres Trump is signing an executive order today “pertaining to social media” but had no details on what it would do, per WH pool.

Just now... followed by another tweet saying that it will actually be tomorrow night, but zero details.

I can't wait! I hope it begins with 'I hereby declare...'
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: New executive order re social media
Posted by: samintx
Date: May 27, 2020 05:56PM
He isn't King yet but he doesn't know that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2020 05:56PM by samintx.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 27, 2020 06:02PM
....like a child........

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Ted King
Date: May 27, 2020 06:46PM
Maybe Roy Cohn Barr created some legal mumbo-jumbo that Trump can use to intimidate Twitter a bit, even if it goes nowhere in court.
Posted by: Lizabeth
Date: May 27, 2020 08:05PM
It’s not what he says but what he’s doing behind his back while he’s saying it...
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: May 27, 2020 08:22PM
Plus it's a distraction attempt from 100,000 Americans dead from the Trump virus.
Posted by: pdq
Date: May 27, 2020 10:43PM
Twitter is adding fact-check links to my tin-foil-hat conspiracy posts!

In order to combat this un-American censorship, I will therefore highly regulate or silence them.

Yup, Trump is now officially blind to irony.
Posted by: Sam3
Date: May 28, 2020 04:15AM
Executive order to rescind the 1996 statute that protects the companies from lawsuits.

[www.politico.com]

The arts are not luxuries but assets that give way more than they cost.
--Ronald Tucker on YouTube

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open.
--Frank Zappa
Posted by: Ted King
Date: May 28, 2020 07:40AM
Sam3
Executive order to rescind the 1996 statute that protects the companies from lawsuits.

[www.politico.com]

So Lori Klausutis' husband could then sue Twitter for allowing Trump to post false stories about his wife's death? Wouldn't the threat of such a lawsuit (which would be encouraged by the executive order) justify Twitter censoring Trump's tweet about her death? On the surface it sounds like a Catch-22 for media companies. Maybe that's the point?
Posted by: pdq
Date: May 28, 2020 09:17AM
I don’t see this working. I don’t think executive orders can, by fiat, wipe out laws. They may modify or prioritize enforcement (like DACA, etc), but make a law go away?

So if the president says “Twitter’s (or Facebook’s) content is no longer protected from civil lawsuit“, and one of them gets sued, it seems to me they can still point to the law still on the books in court, whether the prez likes it or not.

Not a lawyer, but I don’t see this working...and, of course, it’s pretty galling that the Orange One thinks that simply appending a fact check that says, you know, actually, this woman wasn’t murdered but was determined to have died of natural causes - that’s some kind of political “censorship”. (!)

Posted by: Acer
Date: May 28, 2020 09:47AM
Notice how suddenly law suits are perfectly fine when it's their ox getting gored, but otherwise tort reform will fix everything.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: May 28, 2020 10:21AM
I wonder how many frivolous suits will be filed by the Trump deplorables,

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: May 28, 2020 12:12PM
Sam3

[www.politico.com]

Specifically, Section 230. To 'rescind' this part of the statue would require an act of Congress; it cannot be done through regulation alone.

pdq
I don’t see this working. I don’t think executive orders can, by fiat, wipe out laws. They may modify or prioritize enforcement (like DACA, etc), but make a law go away?

You're right, he can't. The order is 100% a publicity stunt for the campaign.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: Acer
Date: May 28, 2020 01:44PM
We can add it to the list of imaginary things Trump Got Done that our right-leaning friends like to bring up.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: May 28, 2020 02:33PM
Acer
We can add it to the list of imaginary things Trump Got Done that our right-leaning friends like to bring up.

thumbsup smiley

Posted by: bfd
Date: May 28, 2020 03:02PM
Dumbf always tries to hide behind the court system - it's a deeply ingrained pattern.
Posted by: hal
Date: May 28, 2020 03:17PM
Yamiche Alcindor

Pres Trump has signed an executive order that looks to regulate Section 230 to remove liability shield if social media companies act to censure or edit content. He says companies have had "unchecked power" to censor & restrict.

This comes as Twitter is now fact checking Trump.

So twitter should just remove his account altogether - that way there is no editing.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: May 28, 2020 07:17PM
So twitter should just remove his account altogether - that way there is no editing.

So then he plays the martyr card and screams about liberal media being unfair to conservatives. It's a tough spot for Twitter, Facebook on the other hand immediately confirmed their pro-Trump bias.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: May 29, 2020 11:56AM
hal

So he can call up OAN's best dictation girl and tell them what to tweet for him? Which will then be immediately bot-parroted a billion times, so erasing it has no effect...?

nuts smiley

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 168
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018