Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: The spread of Covid-19 is based on two things:
Posted by: PeterB
Date: May 28, 2020 06:36PM
sekker
FTFY
DeusxMac
1. How dense the population is.

2. How denseabsent we are of the a real leader is.

FTFY.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: Ca Bob
Date: May 29, 2020 03:04AM
There is a point here, but I suspect that some refinement to the model is possible: You can have millions of people in a confined area, but if they keep their distance from each other, the rate of disease spread is lessened. At least, that's the current hypothesis.

On the other hand, if a large fraction of the population is confined in a closed space such as a bus or a subway car for 15 minutes at a time, then a large fraction of the population is going to get exposed in fairly short order. This is a different way to measure density, because it refers to the interpersonal distance of 50 people for an extended period of time, repeated at least twice a day. This is not the same as the average geographical density of people per mile, measured according to dwelling units.

We have some fairly high density areas in Southern California, but as easterners love to remind us, we have been pretty bad at relying on mass transportation. This is of course partially because most of us don't have access to mass transportation that goes fast and stops somewhere close to us -- nothing at all even close to what New Yorkers take for granted. In this case, the reliance on subways may have been extremely unlucky.

It would be interesting to see how Covid-19 cases in the Bay Area correlate with usage of the BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit).
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: May 29, 2020 09:40AM
Ca Bob
It would be interesting to see how Covid-19 cases in the Bay Area correlate with usage of the BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit).

“BART, the transit system long known for its sprawling map and packed trains, now faces a grim reality: It’s running out of money.
Confronted with the worst financial crisis in the agency’s 48-year history, agency staff managed to scrape together a $915 million budget to survive for one year. A full third of its projected revenue comes from one-time sources, including emergency stimulus funds, federal reimbursements for coronavirus-related expenses and a deferred payment for new railcars.”

“The budget proposal, which is set for a board vote in June, shows the deep scars of coronavirus, a cratering Bay Area economy, and widely accepted remote working that may require a complete reimagining of mass transit. It indicates that without government bailouts and the deferred railcar payment, BART’s deficit for this fiscal year would soar above $300 million. Next year remains a big question mark.“

[www.sfchronicle.com]
Posted by: Harbourmaster
Date: June 03, 2020 01:30AM
Perhaps too many folks are too dense to take your meaning here.

Aloha, Ken

“I have developed significant attachments to several members even though I wouldn't recognize them if I sat next to one on a park bench. I'm often tempted when in an airport to walk around, hollering "The Løpe", to see if anyone other than the Homeland Security people will acknowledge me. ” - The Løpe
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 272
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018