advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Will Elizabeth Warren's Republican governor put the kibosh on her VP choice?
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: May 28, 2020 06:56PM
I don't think we can afford to spare one senator.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Will Elizabeth Warren's Republican governor put the kibosh on her VP choice?
Posted by: vision63
Date: May 28, 2020 07:20PM
That's the concern. The House and Senate are led by Democrats so they may be able to force or coerce the Governor to appoint a Democrat. No guarantee though.
Re: Will Elizabeth Warren's Republican governor put the kibosh on her VP choice?
Posted by: RgrF
Date: May 28, 2020 07:29PM
Charlie Baker is way to popular and secure to be forced into anything, he'll never appoint a Democrat. As MBS said in an earlier comment, if he has a chance to appoint anyone it'll be Charlie Baker.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: May 28, 2020 08:03PM
Warren is the wrong age and race, toss in the potential seat loss in the senate and she will not be the pick.

You can also likely write off Amy K. Today's news that she chose not to charge the Minneapolis Police Officer on earlier charges of brutality would not go over well with progressives or minority voters.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: sekker
Date: May 29, 2020 02:07PM
Warren is not the one. We also need her voice in the Senate.

Did not know about Amy K, I will let the data cook and be validated before I decide.
Date: May 29, 2020 02:29PM
If this has legs enough to knock out Amy you can probably expect the same with Kamela - also a former prosecutor who's already absorbed some shots from her past performance vis a vis police.
Posted by: hal
Date: May 29, 2020 03:34PM
Really... all arrows are pointing at Stacey Abrams now. She's the right gender, the right color, she's brilliant AND she's popular in a state that is critical for the electoral college. Game over.
Date: May 29, 2020 03:43PM
hal
Really... all arrows are pointing at Stacey Abrams now. She's the right gender, the right color, she's brilliant AND she's popular in a state that is critical for the electoral college. Game over.

You can't make the big money on sure shots. Me? I'm putting my money on Susan Rice. I still think Amy has a shot. I know Biden's team desperately wants swing voters because Trump's over 65 white support is softening. He's going to want to appeal to that.

Of course I have no idea who he'd pick or what factors impact his team's calculus. I think Susan fulfills several dynamics more than adequately. Trump's team attacked her significantly over the last several weeks which makes me think that they believe she is a major contender.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2020 03:43PM by vision63.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: May 29, 2020 03:45PM
I'm with you, Hal - but I also never discount the barriers that unconscious and systemic racism pose to any Black woman. Stacey Abrams deserves it, and she's the best choice for Biden. I earnestly hope he chooses her, and I agree with Ombligo that George Floyd's murder has damaged Klobuchar (who was in the midst of trying to recover with Black people when this exploded, exposing her long past of letting murderous cops walk free after killing Black people). But Val Demings and Kamala Harris are still in the mix, too....

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2020 03:45PM by rjmacs.
Date: May 29, 2020 03:50PM
rjmacs
I'm with you, Hal - but I also never discount the barriers that unconscious and systemic racism pose to any Black woman. Stacey Abrams deserves it, and she's the best choice for Biden. I earnestly hope he chooses her, and I agree with Ombligo that George Floyd's murder has damaged Klobuchar (who was in the midst of trying to recover with Black people when this exploded, exposing her long past of letting murderous cops walk free after killing Black people). But Val Demings and Kamala Harris are still in the mix, too....

We need a betting pool.
Posted by: Ted King
Date: May 29, 2020 04:23PM
vision63

You can't make the big money on sure shots. Me? I'm putting my money on Susan Rice. I still think Amy has a shot. I know Biden's team desperately wants swing voters because Trump's over 65 white support is softening. He's going to want to appeal to that.

Of course I have no idea who he'd pick or what factors impact his team's calculus. I think Susan fulfills several dynamics more than adequately. Trump's team attacked her significantly over the last several weeks which makes me think that they believe she is a major contender.

Yeah, I think Susan Rice will make it to the "short list" and may very well be chosen to run with him. I think she would make a fine to very good president.
Posted by: hal
Date: May 29, 2020 04:48PM
Susan Rice? No way! Dems will be defending the supposed crimes of Rice the whole time - they won't get a word in edgewise.
Posted by: Ted King
Date: May 29, 2020 05:10PM
hal
Susan Rice? No way! Dems will be defending the supposed crimes of Rice the whole time - they won't get a word in edgewise.

I think it's likely that any VP candidate is going to be constantly accused of crimes by Trump/Republicans.
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: May 29, 2020 05:26PM
1. Biden already has the centrists and the wavering "independents". He won't gain anything by picking the Klob or anyone to her right.

2. Warren is my first choice. The Democratic-controlled legislature could ensure a Democratice replacement senator.

3. That said, I could, with teeth gritted and fists clenched, go along with Harris. It may be that having a Black VP nominee is that important. I think Harris is too far to the right, and too cozy with big money. Basically another neo-liberal. She'd be ok as AG, but probably still to big money friendly, etc.

4. If Biden doesn't pick Warren, I hope she becomes the Majority Leader in the Senate.
Date: May 29, 2020 05:44PM
hal

Versus the lack of crimes for anybody else? She committed zero crimes which is 100 percent defensible.
Posted by: sekker
Date: May 29, 2020 05:51PM
anonymouse1
1. Biden already has the centrists and the wavering "independents". He won't gain anything by picking the Klob or anyone to her right.

2. Warren is my first choice. The Democratic-controlled legislature could ensure a Democratice replacement senator.

3. That said, I could, with teeth gritted and fists clenched, go along with Harris. It may be that having a Black VP nominee is that important. I think Harris is too far to the right, and too cozy with big money. Basically another neo-liberal. She'd be ok as AG, but probably still to big money friendly, etc.

4. If Biden doesn't pick Warren, I hope she becomes the Majority Leader in the Senate.

AK has an amazing number of Trumpsters who voted for her in MN. She has ALWAYS been pro-small business and against loss of jobs. Estimates are that she has up to 20% of the electorate who crossed the ballot to pick her. She is VERY popular centrist. Warren would be divisive - she is not going to add many votes to Biden.
Date: May 29, 2020 05:53PM
If they can invent an ObamaGate out of thin air, a RiceGate will be a cinch; in other words it won't matter because they will lie about everyone and everything.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 227
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018