advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
RNC chairwoman proposes convention safety protocols amid feud with NC governor
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: May 28, 2020 08:37PM
Personally, I'd love to see 50,000 Republicans jammed into an arena, shouting and cheering at the top of their lungs. Wandering the streets of banking center Charlotte with their drinks and paid companions will be even more fun for the crowds of down-home Trump supporters who will undoubtedly turn out to greet them, hug them and kiss their ungloved hands.

RNC chairwoman proposes convention safety protocols amid feud with NC governor
[thehill.com]

Republican National Committee chairwoman Ronna McDaniel sent a letter to North Carolina Gov. Roy Cooper (D) on Thursday outlining safety protocols she says the party is ready to adopt so it can hold a full in-person national convention in Charlotte this August.
-
Cooper has asked the GOP to submit a detailed plan that he says state officials will have to sign off on before allowing the convention to take place.

McDaniel’s letter asks Cooper to approve of eight safety protocols that she says can serve as the starting point to continue working with “stakeholders and principals to execute a detailed plan to secure our shared goal of a safe and secure convention.”

The GOP chairwoman told Cooper he has until Wednesday, June 3 to inform the party if there are additional guidelines that must be met.

“Major investment decisions need to be made in the coming days and to this point we have been operating in good faith,” McDaniel wrote.

“The people who will visit the Charlotte region during the convention, as well as the businesses and workers who will benefit, are looking to you to set the rules and requirements for the RNC to hold a safe, secure event. We still do not have solid guidelines from the state and cannot in good faith ask thousands of visitors to begin paying deposits and making travel plans without knowing the full commitment of the governor, elected officials and other stakeholders in supporting the convention.”

The GOP is proposing pre-travel health surveys completed in partnership with local health providers; daily health care questionnaires delivered through a smartphone app; thermal scans of all mandatory attendees prior to boarding sanitized pre-arranged transportation; widespread access to anti-bacterial gel; and “aggressive” sanitizing protocol for public areas.

In addition, buses providing transportation to the Charlotte Convention Center will “act as a mandatory hub for a final health care screening by health care officials.”

All attendees will have to pass clean health checks prior to entering the Spectrum Arena and media suites will be subject to the same protocols as local restaurants.

The clock is ticking on the two sides to come to an agreement.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: RNC chairwoman proposes convention safety protocols amid feud with NC governor
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: May 28, 2020 08:38PM
[in answer to your questions...yes, because they are idiots]
Re: RNC chairwoman proposes convention safety protocols amid feud with NC governor
Posted by: RgrF
Date: May 28, 2020 08:56PM
Boston says it's unsafe to have 30,000 marathon runners (some of the best conditioned and healthiest people in the world) come in September but the GOP claims 50,000 (some of the oldest out-of-shape party goers in the world) come in August is a good idea for Charlotte?
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: May 28, 2020 09:04PM
I would throw this hot potato so far so fast if I were Cooper, unless he want to put Trump in a time squeeze. I don't see a single upside for having it in NC.
Posted by: hal
Date: May 28, 2020 10:07PM
"The GOP chairwoman told Cooper he has until Wednesday, June 3 to inform the party if there are additional guidelines that must be met.

“Major investment decisions need to be made in the coming days and to this point we have been operating in good faith,” McDaniel wrote."

when I used to press my parents to hurry up and decide, they'd say, 'well if you need and answer right now, the answer is no.'

and seriously, that is what they should do. tell them to go elsewhere...
Posted by: GGD
Date: May 28, 2020 11:05PM
And if they agree to this, when the time comes Trump will just say those rules don't apply, claim he can override them, and do whatever he wants.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: May 29, 2020 06:57AM
McDaniel‘s lack of planning is clear. You don’t send your host a handful of suggestions “as a starting point” AND give the host an ultimatum of only a few days. She just wants zero culpability for what no one can guarantee later: safety.

If Cooper allows it, it should only be with the proviso to be able to clamp down so hard on it that his Nat’l Guard is present from the start.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: May 29, 2020 08:53AM
PLEASE let the Republican convention devolve into an internal donnybrook that continues to divide the party.

And Please PLEASE let the Democratic convention be a sparkling display of shared resolve and common community. They desperately need a common message that they are ALL behind from the roots of the grass to the flowering tips.

Or Trump will mow them down.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: May 29, 2020 10:59AM
Cooper is an idiot if he lets the convention happen in NC.
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: May 29, 2020 01:29PM
I'm not sure of the timeline but this is the letter that Cooper sent to the chairperson dated today...

[files.nc.gov]

Date: May 29, 2020 04:51PM
bazookaman
I'm not sure of the timeline but this is the letter that Cooper sent to the chairperson dated today...

[files.nc.gov]

nailed it! They won't be able to respond - they're gonna have to move.
Date: May 29, 2020 08:05PM
Mandy Cohen is my new hero. A true pro. I don’t expect Ronna to write back with anything specific but instead to call and whine and weasel out of it.
Date: May 30, 2020 12:22PM
I just read it over again - it was particularly brilliant. Along with all of the suggestions is a link to the NASCAR proposal that led to a NASCAR event over memorial day weekend as an example of a good proposal that led to a successful event. This gives the hint of 'hey, we let those rightwing rednecks have their party - we're not against conservatives' while suggesting just how detailed a proposal they expect to see.

I looked at the NASCAR proposal. It was SERIOUS. It looked at every aspect of crowd control and suggested solutions. I mean the stands, the infield, the victory circle, how catering would be done and on and on. It was 40 pages long and very professionally put together without any hint of politics.

home friken run!
Date: May 30, 2020 12:31PM
Yeah NASCAR does not play. Luckily for them however, TV ad revenue has since outstripped gate revenue, so they weren't nearly as harmed by not allowing vast sums of humans attend. The NFL should do something similar this Fall. They could.

The point is still taken though, that with a modicum of thinking and willingness to accommodate reality, some public events can still occur safely.

Trump needs the adoring crowds however. He'll find them.
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: May 31, 2020 06:44AM
deckeda
Yeah NASCAR does not play.

I wish that were true for the other racing establishments. Last week, right after we started "phase two" a racetrack in the next county over opened and thousands of people showed up. No social distancing. No masks. No nothing.

Posted by: RgrF
Date: May 31, 2020 07:04AM
bazookaman
deckeda
Yeah NASCAR does not play.

I wish that were true for the other racing establishments. Last week, right after we started "phase two" a racetrack in the next county over opened and thousands of people showed up. No social distancing. No masks. No nothing.

It's a time thing, either they get sick or they don't. If they do or not has nothing to do with how sick they'll make others because that's not their problem. Some people just need to see a direct line that will probably never ever be there. By that time, if they indeed do get there, they're either asymptomatic or sick themselves and self-absorbed they'll never draw the connection.

It's likely that someday they'll find an effective vaccine for COVID-19: it's also likely that some will decline it and it's most assuredly likely that a cure for stupid will never be found.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 143
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018