advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
"In a now-deleted Facebook post, the Brevard County chapter of the Fraternal Order of Police jokingly advertised openings available to 57 Buffalo Police officers"
Posted by: deckeda
Date: June 08, 2020 09:43PM
from WaPo's news briefs

“We are hiring in Florida. Lower taxes, no spineless leadership, or dumb mayors rambling on at press conferences... Plus... we got your back!” the Florida police organization wrote in a post Saturday.
The FOP chapter made a similar offer Sunday to Minneapolis officers.

“Minneapolis officers... we will not disband our [law enforcement] agencies or give in... we are hiring in Florida,” the post said.

Brevard County FOP President Bert Gamin, a 28-year law enforcement veteran, took credit for the posts, saying that the officers in Buffalo and Atlanta were within their legal authority, according to local newspaper Florida Today.

“Our citizens have a right to protest peacefully and legally. They do not have a right to block roadways, trespass on private property or disobey lawful commands from law enforcement officers,” he told the newspaper.

Brevard Sheriff Wayne Ivey distanced himself from the posts and, in a statement shared on Facebook, called them “extremely distasteful and insensitive to current important and critical issues that are occurring across our country.”

“The comments made by their members do not in any way represent the views of our agency and were made as individuals who were not acting in the capacity of a Law Enforcement Officer!!” Ivey wrote.

The Fraternal Order of Police, the largest organization of sworn law enforcement officers in the country, representing about 330,000 members in about 2,200 local chapters, didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment.

Someone might want to tell Gamin that protesting doesn't by definition happen on other people's schedule.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: "In a now-deleted Facebook post, the Brevard County chapter of the Fraternal Order of Police jokingly advertised openings available to 57 Buffalo Police officers"
Posted by: davester
Date: June 08, 2020 10:56PM
Kudos to Shefiff Ivey for not stooping to the level of the FOP.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Re: "In a now-deleted Facebook post, the Brevard County chapter of the Fraternal Order of Police jokingly advertised openings available to 57 Buffalo Police officers"
Posted by: deckeda
Date: June 09, 2020 06:31AM
WaPo

A Buffalo police dispatcher has been suspended without pay and is under investigation after allegedly writing on Facebook that officers should be allowed to “shoot to kill” during the ongoing protests against police brutality.

Buffalo Police Commissioner Byron C. Lockwood condemned the “reprehensible” post in a statement announcing the disciplinary action against the dispatcher, who was only identified as a civilian employee of the department.

A spokesperson for the department confirmed that the employee is a police dispatcher and directed The Washington Post to local media outlets that posted images of a Facebook post recently shared by a man named Bob Marth to his personal page.

In the post, which contained expletives, Marth wrote, “Enough is enough!!! What is going on is uncalled for.”
“F----- WILD ANIMALS … and what do you do to an animal that’s rabid out of control — you take it out!!” he continued.

He went on to demand that Buffalo Mayor Byron Brown (D) “stop being a patsy” and give the order to allow officers to use deadly force.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: June 09, 2020 08:48AM
Florida Man says... Gonna Stand My Ground against them...
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: June 09, 2020 09:15AM
I don't want to be policed by immature fascist bullies who hate me. Is that too much to ask?
Posted by: SteveO
Date: June 09, 2020 06:27PM
Lemon Drop
I don't want to be policed by immature fascist bullies who hate me. Is that too much to ask?

NO. I hope with everything in me that this will finally be a turning point. But their level of depravity is insidious. We cannot give up this important fight. Ever. I hope everyone is attending local protests to keep all this top of mind, more numbers are obviously better so it doesn't just fade away. It is heartening to know that there are still a lot of good LEOs out there who don't condone these policies or behaviors.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 272
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018