advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Is the teflon wearing off of Don?
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: June 18, 2020 01:56PM
I sense a weariness, and I'm speaking of his cult, not the the remainder of the population. Perhaps I'm just reading too much into the fewer chest-thumping posts I see on social media, or a general desire to find the next Dear Leader. This should in no way be construed that I believe the followers will vote for democrats in the upcoming elections. No, no. I'm just making a random observation.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Is the teflon wearing off of Don?
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: June 18, 2020 02:09PM
As long as Trump is supported by their local Republicans in states and Congress, the cult will stand firm.

It's only if Trump's position erodes enough that it endangers elections in safely Republican places that they will turn on him. I don't believe the electoral base of the red states are in enough peril for the GOP for this to happen.

Plus the addition fanaticism of the Roe haters, gunhuggers, straight-out bigots and Jesus fools won't desert Trump.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: June 18, 2020 02:23PM
This is only anecdotal but I've had a few conversations with Trump voters here in South Carolina who say they will not support him this year. The central reason is a realization that he has no core value system and acts primarily in self-interest.

Yes that should have been apparent during the 2016 campaign, but a lot of people didn't pay much attention until near the end of that campaign, and he was the name in the "R" box so he got the vote. They're paying attention now.
Posted by: sekker
Date: June 18, 2020 02:25PM
Can only hope.
Posted by: PeterB
Date: June 18, 2020 02:29PM
There will always be a group of people who will continue on as they have been doing, because it's too much cognitive dissonance for them to admit that they erred. To them, anything thrown against Mr. Teflon is a hoax, a conspiracy, or "fake news".

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Date: June 18, 2020 02:39PM
PeterB
There will always be a group of people who will continue on as they have been doing, because it's too much cognitive dissonance for them to admit that they erred. To them, anything thrown against Mr. Teflon is a hoax, a conspiracy, or "fake news".

This is actually true of many modern issues today. I know a series of anti-vaxxers that CANNOT BE WRONG. Adding more data to show they are wrong will not persuade them.

With The Orange Emperor, we need to use the approach such as Senator Klobuchar. It's not wrong to have voted GOP in 2016. Let's hear what your concerns are and walk with you...
Posted by: PeterB
Date: June 18, 2020 02:47PM
sekker
PeterB

This is actually true of many modern issues today. I know a series of anti-vaxxers that CANNOT BE WRONG. Adding more data to show they are wrong will not persuade them.

With The Orange Emperor, we need to use the approach such as Senator Klobuchar. It's not wrong to have voted GOP in 2016. Let's hear what your concerns are and walk with you...

To your first point, it comes back to the world of anti-intellectualism in which we all now find ourselves living: that my opinions are just as good as (or better than) your facts. There's just a massive distrust of science, education, rational thinking, etc., which bleeds (you'll excuse the pun) into the areas of medicine and current situations like COVID. I wonder how the anti-vaxxers are going to behave if/once we have a vaccine available?

As for your second point, I think a lot of Dems are going to have problems with anyone who voted GOP in 2016, because they're the ones who got all of us into this mess. Not saying that's right, but the divisions go both ways.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: June 18, 2020 02:59PM
The cult has been self-enforcing. If you're not with him, you are an Enemy Of The State. Only lately are some of the outliers willing to step away. And they are getting exorciated for it.

2020 election season is still young. If Trump continues to loudly self destruct he may lose more of his Republican supporters, because they realize that they will lose their positions if they continue to support him. Purple state Senators and Representatives are starting to get twitchy.
Posted by: Ammo
Date: June 18, 2020 03:25PM
About an hour ago, I checked in on the National Review (conservative) website to see their take on Bolton’s book. To my surprise, this anti-Trump story was on the main page: [www.nationalreview.com] However, when I checked back about 20 minutes later, it was nowhere to be found (I found the above link by Googling the subject matter).

So I think there are some cracks beginning to appear. They may not care about others, but conservatives do look out for themselves. They may not say it, but they likely know that an unstable Trump could be very dangerous to them.

Where is there dignity unless there is also honesty? - Cicero

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass
Date: June 18, 2020 03:38PM
Ammo
About an hour ago, I checked in on the National Review (conservative) website to see their take on Bolton’s book. To my surprise, this anti-Trump story was on the main page: [www.nationalreview.com] However, when I checked back about 20 minutes later, it was nowhere to be found (I found the above link by Googling the subject matter).

So I think there are some cracks beginning to appear. They may not care about others, but conservatives do look out for themselves. They may not say it, but they likely know that an unstable Trump could be very dangerous to them.

"Let me quote a tweet that Tim Alberta jotted last night. (Tim is a reporter with Politico, formerly with National Review. He is one of the chief Republicanologists in the country.) About Bolton, he said,

This man headlined every right-wing gathering; appeared on every Fox News show; wrote op-eds in conservative publications; raised millions for GOP candidates; was exalted as a voice of integrity, authority, honesty. And now he is the enemy — because he spoke ill of the dear leader."
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: June 18, 2020 03:50PM
The National review lost my interest (and I rejected the gift of a subscription from my mother). They went from an intelligent actually conservative magazine to a 100% anti-intellecetual trump propaganda organ. They may be backpedaling, but not enough to survive. Another dead tree media entity that should die.

Tremors in the Saint Bernard Cemetery in Sharon, CT indicate Bill Buckley's rotational speed has exceeded 1,000 rpm.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: June 18, 2020 03:55PM
Ammo
To my surprise, this anti-Trump story was on the main page: [www.nationalreview.com] However, when I checked back about 20 minutes later, it was nowhere to be found (I found the above link by Googling the subject matter).

It is back on the front page. For the moment.

In tha 360. MRF User Map

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2020 03:56PM by Filliam H. Muffman.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: June 18, 2020 05:11PM
Some of my Trumper friends on FB seem to be a little quieter than normal.

Trump has been censored smileying up too much lately.

Then again, the Trump true believers and die hards I'm sure are unaffected.

Posted by: RgrF
Date: June 18, 2020 05:24PM
sekker
"Let me quote a tweet that Tim Alberta jotted last night. (Tim is a reporter with Politico, formerly with National Review. He is one of the chief Republicanologists in the country.) About Bolton, he said,

This man headlined every right-wing gathering; appeared on every Fox News show; wrote op-eds in conservative publications; raised millions for GOP candidates; was exalted as a voice of integrity, authority, honesty. And now he is the enemy — because he spoke ill of the dear leader."

Didn't National Review put out a never Trump issue in the run-up to the election?
Posted by: hal
Date: June 18, 2020 06:00PM
AllGold

it's been a LONG time since Swampy was happy enough to throw a 'I LOVE MY PRESIDENT!' post up here...
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: June 18, 2020 06:31PM
though I don't agree with it, I thought this was
a good comment:
"The ships are leaving the sinking rat."
Posted by: GGD
Date: June 18, 2020 07:28PM
hal
AllGold

it's been a LONG time since Swampy was happy enough to throw a 'I LOVE MY PRESIDENT!' post up here...

No activity since May 20th, last post March 8th, hope she's OK.

[forums.macresource.com]
Posted by: pdq
Date: June 18, 2020 07:28PM
I have this sense too. There are a number of principled Republicans that have held their tongues for three years. Now that is changing.

I’m still not convinced they will vote for Biden, even though he’s the best candidate to attract their votes. But I don’t think they will vote for Trump either, and they seem to feel more comfortable speaking out about him now.

Unfortunately, principled Republicans are a distinct minority in their party.
Posted by: hal
Date: June 18, 2020 08:40PM
pdq
I’m still not convinced they will vote for Biden...

me neither, but they I don't think they'll have to. Just taking votes away from Trump should do it...
Date: June 18, 2020 10:05PM
pdq
I have this sense too. There are a number of principled Republicans that have held their tongues for three years. Now that is changing.

I’m still not convinced they will vote for Biden, even though he’s the best candidate to attract their votes. But I don’t think they will vote for Trump either, and they seem to feel more comfortable speaking out about him now.

They were the ones that started the Lincoln Project.
Posted by: pdq
Date: June 19, 2020 08:42AM
sekker
pdq

...and props to them for doing so.

But will they actually vote for a Democrat for president?
Date: June 19, 2020 11:24AM
pdq
sekker
pdq

...and props to them for doing so.

But will they actually vote for a Democrat for president?

In 2020, yes. AND they want people to vote Dems to take out the GOP Senators that have empowered The Orange Emperor and went against their Oaths to the US Constitution.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: June 19, 2020 04:02PM
No, they'll ticket split.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 204
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020