advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Why are $^$##% valved masks sold?
Posted by: lost in space
Date: June 20, 2020 12:26PM
To be sure, they're a lot less unpleasant to wear, but they offer no protection for those around the people who wear them. Exhaled breath isn't filtered. Why the fsck are they being sold?

link

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Why are $^$##% valved masks sold?
Posted by: PeterB
Date: June 20, 2020 12:32PM
lost in space
To be sure, they're a lot less unpleasant to wear, but they offer no protection for those around the people who wear them. Exhaled breath isn't filtered. Why the fsck are they being sold?

link

I can't speak for anyone else, but I've already had this discussion here. I'm at higher risk and should be wearing an N95, I know I'm negative, and I've found it nearly impossible to use a nonvalved mask. [forums.macresource.com]
(yes, I know I'm probably the exception...)

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2020 12:33PM by PeterB.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: June 20, 2020 12:39PM
Not all valved masks are junk. I have valved masks that have disposable 3nm particle filters that slide in behind the valve. I'm running out of filters, so those masks will be retired soon.

...But I see people wearing jogging masks with "valves" for day-to-day business. Those masks are useless. Most of them don't even have real one-way valves.

As for why people wear them, I'd guess that some people don't know the difference, some people don't care, and some people don't have the resources to find alternatives within their budgets.

Posted by: Speedy
Date: June 20, 2020 12:42PM
I see mostly homemade or surgical masks when I’m out and about, I suppose because they are cheaper or more available.

Last night we did our bi-weekly grocery shopping. There was a MAGAt hatted 60ish couple ahead of us. No masks and the guy made a very concerted effort to speak to the cashier around the protective plexiglass - and there was much more plexiglass this week than two weeks ago. Jerks.

[www.washingtonpost.com]

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2020 01:06PM by Speedy.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: June 20, 2020 01:18PM
Answer: $$$$$$$$
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: June 20, 2020 01:30PM
Because America. Welcome, it's like this all the time.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: June 20, 2020 01:31PM
I would think they were originally sold to painters and possibly pesticide applies since you can breath out well with them. That is not good in the situation now.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: June 20, 2020 02:14PM
They are used for construction. To keep dust generated from cutting, grinding, sawing, etc. out of your lungs. In that situation it doesn't matter what goes out. Not all masks are for medical uses. I have a couple respirators for painting as well.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: rgG
Date: June 20, 2020 02:17PM
C(-)ris
They are used for construction. To keep dust generated from cutting, grinding, sawing, etc. out of your lungs. In that situation it doesn't matter what goes out. Not all masks are for medical uses. I have a couple respirators for painting as well.

This. We sold them in the paint department.
My husband and I each have one. At the time, it was all I could get.
We have since switched to cloth masks as the fabric on those N95 make my face break out like crazy.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: Acer
Date: June 20, 2020 04:15PM
The functional equivalent of leaving your nose hang out.
Posted by: rgG
Date: June 20, 2020 04:22PM
Acer

No. It protects the wearer, just not anyone around them.
These masks were not designed for Covid or any health related use.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: GGD
Date: June 20, 2020 05:51PM
rgG
Acer

Yes, they're designed as an input filter, to filter the air going into your lungs. But the current situation calls for an output filter to keep you from exhaling what you cough or sneeze, that's not something they were designed for.
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: June 20, 2020 08:25PM
This is correct.

Dennis S
I would think they were originally sold to painters and possibly pesticide applies since you can breath out well with them. That is not good in the situation now.
Posted by: davester
Date: June 20, 2020 08:39PM
anonymouse1
This is correct.

Dennis S

Not correct. N95s are particulate filters. The ones with valves are designed for protecting people creating inhalable hazardous dust (smoke, sanding debris, concrete mixing, silica). They are completely useless for paint or pesticides which require VOC filters, not particulate filters. C(-)ris had the correct answer.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Racer X
Date: June 21, 2020 03:07AM
PeterB
lost in space

link

I can't speak for anyone else, but I've already had this discussion here. I'm at higher risk and should be wearing an N95, I know I'm negative, and I've found it nearly impossible to use a nonvalved mask. [forums.macresource.com]
(yes, I know I'm probably the exception...)

When it is hot, and I am wearing a mask, it triggers my asthma. I can certainly see Peter's POV. By the time I get home from shopping, I am twitching from so much Albuterol.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Posted by: RgrF
Date: June 21, 2020 05:56AM
When it is hot, and I am wearing a mask, it triggers my asthma. I can certainly see Peter's POV. By the time I get home from shopping, I am twitching from so much Albuterol.

Pretty much the same here but with my COPD, I now hate going out shopping. So my son who's not exactly young himself does most of it for us.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2020 05:59AM by RgrF.
Posted by: space-time
Date: June 21, 2020 07:42AM
I know I'm negative

to clarify: the test results was negative when you took it.

1) the test is not 100% accurate
2) you could get infected after you took the test

unless you take a good test every day, like they do at the white house, you cannot make this claim that you are negative.
Posted by: space-time
Date: June 21, 2020 07:48AM
GGD
rgG
Acer

Yes, they're designed as an input filter, to filter the air going into your lungs. But the current situation calls for an output filter to keep you from exhaling what you cough or sneeze, that's not something they were designed for.

turn them inside out and wear them like that!

smiley-laughing001
Date: June 21, 2020 09:44AM
space-time
I know I'm negative

to clarify: the test results was negative when you took it.

1) the test is not 100% accurate
2) you could get infected after you took the test

unless you take a good test every day, like they do at the white house, you cannot make this claim that you are negative.

Apparently you didn't read my original (admittedly very long) post. I know I'm negative because I haven't gotten sick and have been strictly self-isolating since this whole thing began (and am still doing so). I haven't ever gotten tested because there was no reason to do so, no symptoms or illness. My medical condition is such that if I were to get this virus, I would probably be dead.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2020 09:45AM by PeterB.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: June 21, 2020 08:44PM
I'm with Peter B. Serious (but moderately controlled) asthma and high blood pressure, also controlled.

I have no delusions that if I get sick, I will be on a vent before long, and may not ever come off of it.

I have enough situational awareness to know to not exhale when there are people in my bubble, or if really necessary, to look down, and exhale.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2020 08:46PM by Racer X.
Date: June 21, 2020 09:06PM
Racer X
I have enough situational awareness to know to not exhale when there are people in my bubble, or if really necessary, to look down, and exhale.

Better still: Turn and face away when you exhale.

Date: June 21, 2020 09:46PM
Sarcany
Racer X

Better still: Turn and face away when you exhale.

Better still: Isolate yourself so that, not only do you not have to worry about around whom you're exhaling, but you don't need to worry about the likelihood that someone around you wasn't being quite as careful as they ought to have been.

Sorry if that sounds cynical, but someone like me (or Racer) looking at the news, what's online, etc., it's beyond disturbing. It's true that you can't live in a bubble, but at the same time, some of the stupid things people are doing are beyond anything I could have imagined in my wildest nightmares. We're only six months or so into a pandemic, and we have folks who can't be troubled to wear a mask, wash their hands, give others their personal space, etc.

Date: June 21, 2020 10:24PM
PeterB
Better still: Isolate yourself...

It's scary out there sometimes, but I still need to work and to pick up groceries and other items. (Grocery delivery is both expensive and poorly implemented in this region.)

...And while I'm on the introvert end of the scale, I still like being out and about with people. Even in masks and standing 6 feet apart.

Date: June 21, 2020 10:39PM
Sarcany
PeterB
Better still: Isolate yourself...

It's scary out there sometimes, but I still need to work and to pick up groceries and other items. (Grocery delivery is both expensive and poorly implemented in this region.)

...And while I'm on the introvert end of the scale, I still like being out and about with people. Even in masks and standing 6 feet apart.

I'm the opposite -- I love not having to deal with people except through email, Zoom, or whatever.

And that's a shame about grocery delivery for you, but I've found that Amazon has a surprisingly wide selection of things they will deliver, that will be shelf-stable.

And work ... of course, everyone's is different, but working from home has basically been OK for me. (I would definitely NOT want to do it long-term, but short-term it's been OK.)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 120
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018