advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
NASCAR releases photo of the ‘rope handle’ (spelled n-o-o-s-e) in Walllace’s garage.
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: June 25, 2020 12:52PM
And... okay. Entirely ::cough::goodoleboyrunningjokeatthetrack?::cough:: innocent.

That doesn’t look at all like a nearly pristine length of rope tied into a noose that’s supposed to have been hanging in an oily, dirty mechanic’s garage for more than six months.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2020 01:16PM by Blankity Blank.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: NASCAR releases photo of the ‘rope handle’ (spelled n-o-o-s-e) in Walllace’s garage.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: June 25, 2020 01:01PM
Fuck that racist shit.

They'd have had an easier time if they could have pinned it on a specific racist.

Instead now NASCAR has to figure out how to explain that having a NOOSE hanging like it was a light bulb cord was so normal, so everyday, so humdrum that it fit right in.

Until, well, you know who came around.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Re: NASCAR releases photo of the ‘rope handle’ (spelled n-o-o-s-e) in Walllace’s garage.
Posted by: sekker
Date: June 25, 2020 01:02PM
My wife heard this story and was PISSED. There is NO way this is NOT racism.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: June 25, 2020 01:03PM
probably because someone thought he was being clever
'Hey, since I have a rope pull, let me make a noose out of it. Har Har Har'
Date: June 25, 2020 01:10PM
Steve G.
'Hey, since I have a rope pull, let me make a noose out of it, even though nooses carry a specific cultural meaning here signifying the absolute control of Black bodies by white power. Har Har Har'

FTFY

rj
AKA
Date: June 25, 2020 01:36PM
rjmacs
Steve G.
'Hey, since I have a rope pull, let me make a noose out of it, even though nooses carry a specific cultural meaning here signifying the absolute control of Black bodies by white power. Har Har Har'

FTFY

You are ignoring the context. It was in an isolated area frequented by only white drivers and mechanics except for one guy (or maybe some more).
There is a difference between being thoughtless and devoting no thought to something. Yeah, the guy's an idiot and the n-oose has chilling connotations, but I think you are reading too much into this. Sometimes stupid is jut stupid.
Date: June 25, 2020 01:42PM
Steve G.
rjmacs
Steve G.

FTFY

You are ignoring the context. It was in an isolated area frequented by only white drivers and mechanics except for one guy (or maybe some more).
There is a difference between being thoughtless and devoting no thought to something. Yeah, the guy's an idiot and the n-oose has chilling connotations, but I think you are reading too much into this. Sometimes stupid is just stupid very racist and harmful, but somehow unremarked until a target -- errr, Black guy, shows up.

Just because there aren't any Black people around doesn't make racist things not racist. This is NOT an 'if a tree falls in the forest' situation.

You are right that hanging a noose in NASCAR garage is stupid.

You are mistaken in thinking that the conscious intentions of the person who put it there, or the people who left it there, has any meaningful effect on how racist it was.

You are in error if you think that stupid racist actions, done without intent to cause specific harm, are not harmful and dangerous.

rj
AKA
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: June 25, 2020 02:16PM
Definitely a noose. Probably made by a good ole boy, or just a plain ole racist, or both. Wanted to harm someone but didn't think an actual Black guy would show up.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: June 25, 2020 02:16PM
Noose.
And the only one they found in any NASCAR garage.

We all have eyes. This photo got released for a reason. NaSCAR was right to call the FBI.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: June 25, 2020 02:30PM
Ok nascar now saying this rope was not tied like a noose in Oct 2019, that happened over the weekend
What??
How is this not a hate crime? FBI screwed this one.
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: June 25, 2020 02:47PM
That’s pretty damning, that’s for sure.
Date: June 25, 2020 03:06PM
Lemon Drop
Ok nascar now saying this rope was not tied like a noose in Oct 2019, that happened over the weekend
What??
How is this not a hate crime? FBI screwed this one.

NPR article reporting the above.

”In a Thursday conference call with reporters, NASCAR President Steve Phelps said investigators conducted a thorough sweep of all garage areas across the tracks where NASCAR races. That's 29 tracks and 1,684 garage stalls. 44 of them are at Talladega. Phelps said they found only 11 stalls using a pull down rope tied in a knot. And only one was tied into a noose – the one discovered in Wallace's garage.

"We further determined," Phelps said, "the noose was not in place when the October 2019 race weekend began, but was created at some point during that weekend."

Do we have the full story now, or are we due for another ‘clarification’?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2020 03:13PM by Blankity Blank.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: June 25, 2020 03:37PM
Of course you wouldn’t use a “noose” knot for a pull-down; it’s a slip knot specifically designed to close up when pulled.
Posted by: hal
Date: June 25, 2020 03:59PM
DeusxMac
Of course you wouldn’t use a “noose” knot for a pull-down; it’s a slip knot specifically designed to close up when pulled.

creating a basic loop at the end is WAY less labor intensive than that noose. That is one quality knot there - someone really knows how to tie a noose knot... someone with that much skill would know that this is not the right knot for the job. It is clearly a message.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2020 04:00PM by hal.
Posted by: bfd
Date: June 25, 2020 04:15PM
A garage pull fashioned into a noose was not there in October of last year. Reportedly, Bubba Wallace was assigned that garage for this year's race - that may be a missing piece for some.
Posted by: Acer
Date: June 25, 2020 04:42PM
It could be tied to look like a noose, but not actually tighten, and thus still function as a door pull. It doesn't have to function to be a threat. The same thing painted on the wall with a spray can would be a threat.

But, as suggested above and implied by the FBI, it appears to me someone in October had too much time on their hands and thought they'd be clever. The rest is bizarre coincidence. (This is why I try to reign in the urge to be clever or sarcastic or edgy in work emails and communications...it can bite you in the butt in unexpected ways.)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2020 04:45PM by Acer.
Date: June 25, 2020 07:18PM
Let's get the time line and story straight on this.
Date: June 25, 2020 07:23PM
Steve G.

And sourcing. Are NASCAR and the FBI on the same page or at odds?
Posted by: deckeda
Date: June 25, 2020 10:37PM
I’ve read exactly one story on this, a couple days ago (WaPo)

-FBI said noose was there in the garage months ago, before Wallace was driver and before the team occupied garage

-someone found the noose, like I dunno in the back corner or whatever = news item

None of this makes a lot of sense just yet.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: June 25, 2020 10:59PM
It doesn't really have to make sense. Bubba Wallace was notified by NASCAR that the noose was there. He didn't find it himself. So the FBI says it was there for like a year. That doesn't mean NASCAR and Wallace were silly to have thought the worst. Look at that damned thing. I would have called 911 in a heartbeat. We may never know why the rope was fashioned in that manner but it doesn't mean anyone overreacted.

Date: June 26, 2020 10:52AM
Steve G.

Why does the timeline matter, Steve G.?

You are mistaken in thinking that the conscious intentions of the person who put it there, or those who left it there, has any meaningful impact on the racist effect it has. I'm sure there are symbols you would never think appropriate for any workplace, no matter who was on staff, no?

rj
AKA
Posted by: pdq
Date: June 26, 2020 11:25AM
AP:

NASCAR asked officials at every track to check their garages this week. Out of 1,684 garage stalls at 29 tracks, only 11 had a garage door pull-down rope tied in a knot, Phelps said, and the only one fashioned in a noose was the one discovered Sunday by a crew member in Wallace’s No. 43 stall.

A noose is not just a standard way to tie a loop. Fortunately, it doesn’t seem to be directed at Wallace in particular. That doesn’t mean (necessarily) that it was harmless.
Posted by: btfc
Date: June 26, 2020 12:11PM
‘ Mike Fulp, who owns 311 Speedway in Pine Hall, N.C., advertised a "Bubba Rope" for sale on Facebook Marketplace. The listing was posted Wednesday and removed Thursday, according to The Associated Press. It included the description, "Buy your Bubba Rope today for only $9.99 each, they come with a lifetime warranty and work great." ‘

[www.sportingnews.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 112
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018