advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
US indicts 11 environmental, animal activists
Posted by: the_poochies
Date: January 20, 2006 02:18PM
I hope all of you will be able to sleep a little more soundly tonight knowing that these horrible terrorists will be behind bars:

[news.yahoo.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: US indicts 11 environmental, animal activists
Posted by: Marcos Malo
Date: January 20, 2006 02:30PM
Sounds like the "Monkey Wrench Gang".

[www.amazon.com]

These people were engaged in acts that can be construed as domestic terrorism, even if they were only causing damage to property.

It'd be nice if the government was also going after right wing fundy terrorists that bomb abortion clinics and have actually murdered people. Then it wouldn't be so obvious that they are fulfilling a corporate agenda.

Posted by: Seacrest
Date: January 20, 2006 02:40PM
>> right wing fundy terrorists that bomb abortion

Like Eric Rudolph?
[www.rotten.com]

31 May 2003 Fugitive Eric Rudolph arrested as he rummages through a dumpster, Murphy NC.
11 Dec 2003 Attorney General John Ashcroft authorizes prosecutors to seek the death penalty.
Date: January 20, 2006 03:08PM
They got Rudolph, but did they get the network that supported him before and after his terrorist acts? No. They did not.

Posted by: Pops
Date: January 20, 2006 03:20PM
> I hope all of you will be able to sleep a little more soundly tonight knowing that
> these horrible terrorists will be behind bars

$100 million in damages???? Yes, I am very happy they're not free to destroy others' property.
Date: January 20, 2006 07:17PM
Pops Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> > I hope all of you will be able to sleep a
> little more soundly tonight knowing that
> > these horrible terrorists will be behind
> bars
>
> $100 million in damages???? Yes, I am very happy
> they're not free to destroy others' property.
>

Pops, I agree with you, but I am troubled by the fact that the administration doesn't seem too interested in applying justice in a fair and even-handed way. They won't go after the right wing terrorist because, at the very least, they'll upset their religious supporters.

Posted by: Al Baby
Date: January 20, 2006 07:37PM

Most likely. These are liberal lightweights -- they will
squeal like the little piglets that they are and the AG
should have a train-load of warrants shortly...

It is really refreshing when you see your government
do something RESPECTABLE once in a while....
Posted by: MacMagus
Date: January 20, 2006 08:15PM
> These are liberal lightweights

I think you'd be surprised.

A lot of those folk are back-country live-off-the-land good ol' boys who you might expect to be firing guns from their pickups saluting veterans in some Colorado backwater during the memorial day parade.

Disabling power plants when the EPA turned a blind eye to their violations is at least sort of understandable, as are the attacks on the ski resorts -- which are notorious for spewing garbage, displacing wildlife and defacing wilderness areas -- but I'd really like to know why they were toasting the Ranger stations.
Date: January 20, 2006 11:37PM
Magus, your information is beyond shakeman's ability to absorb. The suspects were engaging in illegal activities in the cause of environmentalism, and thus liberals, and thus lightweights. To shakeman, their chief crime is being "liberal". It's not that their actions were misguided, it's that their politics are.

Posted by: RgrF
Date: January 21, 2006 02:50AM
< deleted by order of the ..............>

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2006 05:50AM by RgrF.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: January 21, 2006 02:51AM
Al Baby Wrote:
> > Most likely. These are liberal lightweights --
> they will
> squeal like the little piglets that they are and
> the AG
> should have a train-load of warrants shortly...
>
> It is really refreshing when you see your
> government
> do something RESPECTABLE once in a while....

Al evidently prefers the "tough guy" F(elon) Gordon Libby type.
Date: January 21, 2006 03:47AM
RgrF Wrote:

>
> Al evidently prefers the "tough guy" F(elon)
> Gordon Libby type.

You wanna know something really disgusting? You probably just gave shakeman an erection by mentioning G. Gordon Liddy. (Libby is the other co-conspirator with the current administration.)

Posted by: Refurbvirgin
Date: January 21, 2006 04:58AM
"There is no path to peace. Peace is the path." ~ Gandhi

While I don't condone the violence against others property these people are using it seems hypocritical of this administration (which daily destroys more property of others in Iraq, Afghanistan and elsewhere than the eco-warriors over the years) to be prosecuting them. Maybe if Bush had more respect for the lives and homes of others I'd understand better.

Posted by: Pops
Date: January 21, 2006 07:40AM
Marcos Malo Wrote:
> Pops, I agree with you, but I am troubled by the fact that the administration doesn't seem too
> interested in applying justice in a fair and even-handed way. They won't go after the right
> wing terrorist because, at the very least, they'll upset their religious supporters.
>

I don't disagree with you on this.
Posted by: onthedownlow
Date: January 21, 2006 03:03PM
$100 million...enough said there. They were likely much easier to catch, too.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: January 22, 2006 12:54AM
screw their 'purpose' they set fires (jeez- didn't they learn from Smokey the Bear?) and threatened human and animal lives. These people, like all violent freaks, are idiots. Want to change the world ? Do it non-violently. People just plain respect that more.

The problem is that it doesn't get them on CNN much anymore...
Date: January 22, 2006 06:36AM
Thank you cbelt3.

I was beginning to think this forum was becoming completely irrationally polarized, but that's a quite sensible view.
Date: January 22, 2006 12:48PM
MacMagus Wrote:
> Thank you cbelt3.
>
> I was beginning to think this forum was becoming
> completely irrationally polarized, but that's a
> quite sensible view.

I'm not sure why you think this forum is polarized. There are a few loud extremists, but most seem sensible. In this thread, most condemn or at least do not condone the actions of the "green terrorists", and feel it proper that the authorities have gone after them.

The only "controversial" position I've espoused is that the government should also go after the right wing terrorists and their support networks. The right wing terrorists have not only caused property damage, but have taken human life, yet those who have aided and abetted and encouraged them have been given a pass.

Date: January 22, 2006 03:06PM
Our government is the greatest terrorist in the world. It's sort of like being stopped for a traffic ticket by a cop selling drugs on the side, which, btw, actually happened in our community. Nobody died when the environmental despoilers stuff got trashed. Is it a crime? Sure, and serious, but in comparison to the crime spree the Bush gang is on its small potatoes.

Date: January 22, 2006 05:23PM
>> I'm not sure why you think this forum is polarized.
>
>
>> These are liberal lightweights...
>
>> Our government is the greatest terrorist in the world...

So those are moderate views?
Date: January 22, 2006 05:40PM
MacMagus Wrote:
> >> Our government is the greatest terrorist
> in the world...
>
>
> So those are moderate views?

Bush has killed far, far more innocent people than any other terrorist presently acting on the world stage (to exclude Clinton). War IS terrorism. Shock and Awe was terrorism. That was it's stated intent. Our collective punishment of Fallujah for the actions of a few in stringing up the burned corpses of a few hired thugs was terrorism. Using bombs to wipe out neighborhoods to get a few suspected criminals is terrorism. Using depleted uranium to depopulate a region is terrorism. Using cluster bombs and phosphorous weapons is terrorism. In the interests of moderation I'll pause.

Date: January 22, 2006 06:38PM
> War IS terrorism.

War is not terrorism.

The "war on terror" is not a war. Neither is it terrorism. It is simply a meaningless catch-phrase.

Terrorism is the use of force or violence by individuals or governments against civilian targets in the pursuit of a political agenda.

War is a legal conflict between sovereigns involving the organized use of arms and physical force to achieve specific goals.

We waged war on Afghanistan -- it was a legal conflict. We unlawfully invaded Iraq -- it was not war. It also was not terrorism as it was action by a sovereign against governmental, military and pseudo-military targets.

Terror is often a tool of war. But it is not war. Wars end.
Date: January 22, 2006 07:21PM
MacMagus Wrote:
> > War IS terrorism.
>
> War is not terrorism.

So if I flew over your house and dropped a 500 pounder on it you and your family wouldn't be terrorized (assuming you survived)?

> The "war on terror" is not a war. Neither is it
> terrorism. It is simply a meaningless
> catch-phrase.

It's not meaningless if you're the target.

> Terrorism is the use of force or violence by
> individuals or governments against civilian
> targets in the pursuit of a political agenda.

And what would you call "Shock and Awe?"

> War is a legal conflict between sovereigns
> involving the organized use of arms and physical
> force to achieve specific goals.

Bush is not our sovereign. He was authorized to use force if Saddam didn't comply with UN resolutions and allow inspectors back in. He did. We could have used UN regulations providing for removal of despots, but we chose not to because we support worse ones in the world.

> We waged war on Afghanistan -- it was a legal
> conflict.

Afghanistan never attacked us, so our assault and occupation was illegal there, too. They offered to turn over bin Laden to the World Court, as I recall, if we merely provided proof he was responsible for 9/11. To date we've not provided that proof. 9/11 was a criminal act and those complicit with it should have been arrested and tried, not those innocent people we bombed in frothing, vengeful anger.

We unlawfully invaded Iraq -- it was not
> war. It also was not terrorism as it was action by
> a sovereign against governmental, military and
> pseudo-military targets.

We bombed electrical generation, sewage treatment and water purification plants, hospitals, civil bureaucracies and other non-military targets, and the purpose was to terrorize Iraqi citizens into laying down and surrendering rather than resisting our invasion. It didn't work, but it's still terrorism. If we drop bombs from a plane it's war, but if they put a bomb on a plane it's terrorism. If we (or our surrogate) fire missiles into crowded marketplaces it's counterterrorism, but if they strap explosives to themselves and walk into a market it's terrorism?

> Terror is often a tool of war. But it is not war.
> Wars end.

You've taken my statement and turned it around to refute it. If I'd said "All Bushes are Republican," would you then refute the statement by saying "All Republicans are not Bushes?"
We've bombed at least 50 nations since WW2, so it could be argued that war has never ended since. If you're going to argue try to do it logically.

Date: January 22, 2006 07:25PM
> If you're going to argue try to do it logically.

Oh, I didn't realize you were trying to be funny. Sorry.
Date: January 22, 2006 08:07PM
MacMagus Wrote:

> Oh, I didn't realize you were trying to be funny.
> Sorry.

Apology accepted. :-)

I don't take this forum bickering stuff seriously. It's just mental exercise, trying to keep one step ahead of senility. Lack of mental conditioning is tragic.

Posted by: spearmint
Date: January 22, 2006 08:15PM
Slammer time bigtime for the 11 Luddites I hope. The World they want is not what many people want. People supporting them are not thinking it through the desired conclusion these terrorists want. They do not like people in general. "Eco-Terrorist" has to replace "Environmentalist" every time these folks and their supporters are mentioned. They are deluded hateful people who exult in stupid stunts like this.

The most sickening development in American Civilization in my lifetime is three words "Environmental Impact Statement" whereby tiny special interest groups can derail progress. They can tie up voter approved projects and drastically inconvience the vast majority because of this abberation of the law. Of course the eco left always knows what is best for us and will do anything to achieve it.

Glad these morons are going to making a lot of nice new friends in the Graybar Hotel.

Da Good Life
Date: January 22, 2006 09:02PM
spearmint Wrote:
> Glad these morons are going to making a lot of
> nice new friends in the Graybar Hotel.

Agreed. Maybe they can be on the welcoming committee when Bush & Cheney arrive.

Posted by: spearmint
Date: January 22, 2006 10:23PM
That's funny Clinton was impeached and thanks to a few renegade Republicans without a sense of duty to the country, did not get booted out of office. Now he can even help you with your Arkansas traffic ticket if he reapplies to the Bar after his many years ban.

Cisneros was saved by evidence tampering from getting to meet these young pine cone eaters. Seems like the only serious desire for impeachment in this administration is people with banners on the sidewalk in front of the White House. Shucks too bad Cindy is not there anymore to keep them company.

There is no criminal activity in the White House. This protest of wiretaping of terrorists who want to kill us at any cost is grasping at straws. The President is trying to protect us and the ACLU should not be trying to hinder the war effort.

Hey! We soon will control all three branches of government once the Dem hit and miss squad gives up and has to allow Alito up for the vote. Pretty cool huh? We still have two more years to go too!
Date: January 22, 2006 10:40PM
spearmint Wrote:
--> There is no criminal activity in the White House.
> This protest of wiretaping of terrorists who want
> to kill us at any cost is grasping at straws.

If Bush wanted to wiretap terrorists or their associates all he had to do was ask the FISA court. They turned down maybe nine of 14,000 requests, as I recall. Bush could even request the warrant AFTER exercising the warrant. If he had a valid national security concern there's little evidence to suggest he wouldn't have had his action approved.

Why, then, would he NOT ask for a warrant? Many suggest that his reasons for wanting to secretly wiretap without warrants had NOTHING to do with national security and more with obtaining private info about opponents which could be used to blackmail them or otherwise thwart their actions in opposition.

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism." - Thomas Jefferson

We hung Germans for preemptive war, calling it "the supreme crime" because it contained or enabled all other crimes. To say there is no crime in this administration must be difficult with your head stuck so firmly in the sand.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 171
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020