advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Mayor of St Louis reads names and addresses of protesters on Facebook live
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: June 27, 2020 11:48AM
She apologized but her intentional, dangerous act can't be taken back.

She needs to resign.

[www.stltoday.com]

After a Friday morning protest that called for the city to close the workhouse, Mayor Lyda Krewson in a Facebook Live briefing read the names and addresses of several protesters who had handed her suggestions for alternative city budgets.

The move drew ire online, including a petition calling for Krewson’s resignation that, as of 11:30 p.m., had garnered more than 8,000 signatures.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Mayor of St Louis reads names and addresses of protesters on Facebook live
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: June 27, 2020 12:03PM
Press briefing doxing - that's a new one!

Time to go, Beck---- I mean, Lyda.

Note the WTF look on the ASL interpreter's face as they're spelling out names and private addresses of activists....

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: graylocks
Date: June 27, 2020 12:25PM
this maybe be a general standard practice that needs some addressing. a friend of mine in a medium sized WI town addressed the City Council last week calling out the mayor for racism, sexism, homophobia and a bunch of other concerns. it was a public zoom meeting and every citizen who spoke was required to give their full name and address. my friend commented afterwards that the Council must not realize how dangerous this is particularly for women. i understand a need to verify that the person speaking is a resident but when the info is broadcast/streamed publicly this practice needs to be rethought.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: bfd
Date: June 27, 2020 03:13PM
Doxing really needs to be put to rest. Put some teeth behind a law that would fine the doxer and/or put them away for awhile. In a televised response during a daily update, an idiot deplorable (redundant, yes) read the address and home phone number of the Doctor in charge of the County Health Department here because they were upset about having to continue to wear a mask in public places and while shopping. The sheriff's dept nailed her on the way out of the meeting. While no law was broken, she spent a few hours cooling her heels in the back of a Sheriff's vehicle while things "got sorted out". The number of threats that public health officials are being exposed to right now - not just here - is clearly out of hand, and those people really deserve better protection.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: June 27, 2020 03:14PM
Require officials hewing to this practice to provide their own address' as well. See how quickly it comes to an abrupt halt.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: June 27, 2020 04:04PM
RgrF
Require officials hewing to this practice to provide their own address' as well. See how quickly it comes to an abrupt halt.
Usually public record...
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: June 27, 2020 05:23PM
cbelt3
RgrF
Usually public record...

The only hidden addresses that I'm aware of are law enforcement and court officials.
Posted by: Ted King
Date: June 27, 2020 08:44PM
It should be illegal to dox someone who has a high probability of being harassed or worse as a consequence of the doxing. It probably doesn't reach the level of legal incitement, but it's still knowingly endangering another person. Just like a lot of criminal laws, I think there should be levels of misdemeanors to felonies depending on the amount of harm that results.
Posted by: Ca Bob
Date: June 27, 2020 11:29PM
In California, the law gives people the right to attend and comment at meetings of public officials without providing one's name. We're talking about meetings of "legislative bodies," which include city councils, county boards of supervisors, elected neighborhood councils, etc.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: June 28, 2020 08:52AM
mrbigstuff
cbelt3
RgrF
Usually public record...

The only hidden addresses that I'm aware of are law enforcement and court officials.

There is quite a difference between an address being part of the public record, that often requires some time and effort to find, and the names and addresses being broadcast for any and all to hear.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: June 28, 2020 01:53PM
JoeH
mrbigstuff
cbelt3
RgrF
Usually public record...

There is quite a difference between an address being part of the public record, that often requires some time and effort to find, and the names and addresses being broadcast for any and all to hear.

agree smiley

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: June 29, 2020 09:00AM
JoeH
mrbigstuff
cbelt3
RgrF
Usually public record...

Not sure anyone here is advocating for that
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 211
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018