AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
An interesting new mask design
Posted by: PeterB
Date: June 28, 2020 05:24PM
Saw this one on Fb, looks like one of my former students modeled for the ad:

[www.indiegogo.com]

... what do you all make of this?

(Edit, posting on this side just in case it gets political. Sad that masking has apparently become a political issue.)

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2020 05:25PM by PeterB.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: An interesting new mask design
Posted by: Speedy
Date: June 28, 2020 05:31PM
N99? Must be tough to draw a breath through that. Also, it looks like fit might be an issue.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: June 28, 2020 05:43PM
Speedy
N99? Must be tough to draw a breath through that. Also, it looks like fit might be an issue.

Yep that's what I thought too, about it being N99. As for fit, I see they're offering four different sizes with two different types of straps, so it should fit everyone...

Posted by: RgrF
Date: June 28, 2020 06:10PM
Give me liberty my beard or give me death!
Date: June 28, 2020 06:34PM
[www.washingtonpost.com]

The comments to the article are of some interest.

Posted by: cbelt3
Date: June 28, 2020 06:36PM
So Powered air then ? Okay...
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: June 28, 2020 06:38PM
> ... what do you all make of this?

Can't wear glasses with 'em.

UV-C is dangerous, takes time to kill bacteria, often doesn't work against viruses. Seems like useless excess.

...And herbal scents. Really?

...I guess it might make a decent dust mask and keep out some scents with the carbon filter.

Date: June 28, 2020 07:02PM
Caught an image the other day - a woman Karen with full face mask and foot high scuba snorkel headed into a store to shop.
Date: June 28, 2020 07:04PM
RgrF
Caught an image the other day - a woman Karen with full face mask and foot high scuba snorkel headed into a store to shop.

Not a Karen. A Karen would be wearing a MAGAt cap and no mask.

Date: June 28, 2020 07:31PM
Remember guys, not all of us are wearing masks to prevent spread. Some of us are wearing because we are trying to prevent ourselves from getting it...

I don't see anything in the design that would prevent one from wearing glasses, and they make a point of it being fogless, which would imply they're considering people wearing glasses in the design.

The UV light is UV-C, which should destroy the virus -- I can't tell from the design, but I'm presuming the air coming in is exposed to UV-C... therefore the person isn't being exposed to it. I would agree that if the air isn't being exposed to the UV for a long enough time, it's not likely to be effective, but the use of UV to eliminate viruses is well-established: [elkodaily.com]

Date: June 28, 2020 07:40PM
PeterB
I don't see anything in the design that would prevent one from wearing glasses, and they make a point of it being fogless, which would imply they're considering people wearing glasses in the design.

Fogless plastic doesn't mean that it won't fog glasses.

Looks like the bridge comes too far up and is too large to allow glasses to sit comfortably on the face. Notice that none of the models are wearing glasses?

PeterB
The UV light is UV-C, which should destroy the virus -- I can't tell from the design, but I'm presuming the air coming in is exposed to UV-C... therefore the person isn't being exposed to it. I would agree that if the air isn't being exposed to the UV for a long enough time, it's not likely to be effective, but the use of UV to eliminate viruses is well-established: [elkodaily.com]

Dangerous kitchen sink thinking.

Someone said, "What can we bundle that nobody else does (because it's too stupid and dangerous)?" and someone else said, "Let's toss in a UVC light!"

Date: June 28, 2020 08:00PM
Didn't the C-I-Chief suggest that?
Date: June 28, 2020 08:04PM
Fogless I am assuming to mean fogging glasses -- the design is such that none of it covers the eyes -- why would anyone care about fogging otherwise? And the N95's I have, have a bridge that goes up quite high on the nose, but I have no problems wearing glasses with it.

As for the UV, I would agree that it's likely not adding much, but disagree that it's "kitchen sink" thinking. Having +1 feature on something which is +100 just means you now have +101, which is still better than +100. Having the UV is probably better than not having it.

Date: June 28, 2020 08:23PM
PeterB
Fogless I am assuming to mean fogging glasses...

It's in the context of the coating on the plastic.

"...contains a permanent Anti-Fog coating for the inside of the mask."

Why are you promoting that useless expensive toy?

Posted by: Ombligo
Date: June 28, 2020 09:09PM
I stopped reading at the $199 price tag.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: June 28, 2020 09:10PM
Two observations:

1. The ad reads “World's first FDA Registered, Clear, UV-C sterilizing, Smart Mask | Active Ventilation & N99+ HEPA”. Note that it merely says FDA “registered”; not approved, or recommended, or such. Registering with the FDA is required for many foods, drugs and other products; it’s no indication their superiority.

2. “Redcliffe Healthcare” doesn’t appear to have any web presence*, unless it’s related to this Indian outfit; [www.redcliffels.com]

*Others may have more success locating this “Detroit” outfit.
Date: June 28, 2020 10:14PM
Wow, a lot of doubting Thomases here. I would suggest that if you have a better idea for a new type of mask, you develop it yourself. smiling bouncing smiley

1) If the antifog coating is for the inside of the mask, that would make me think that they have already considered wearing glasses with it. You or I could always ask. grinning smiley

2) I have no vested or financial interest in this, I just find it an interesting design. If you think it's a "useless, expensive toy", then I presume you feel the same way about the O2 Canada mask that Gareth had mentioned some weeks ago. (That one was only an N95, by the way, and definitely did not have all the options and bells and whistles this one seems to have.)

3) There are different versions/levels of this mask, I see the cheapest starts at $50, which seems pretty reasonable.

4) I would not expect FDA approval in this kind of time frame. If you want to get something to market quickly, it's not likely you'd get approval.

5) This is obviously a startup, otherwise they wouldn't be using indiegogo to finance.

Posted by: sekker
Date: June 29, 2020 12:22AM
Thanks for posting. Certainly interesting but I’ll pass for second gen.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: June 29, 2020 12:30AM
I doubt they can get the filter to work that well in that small a form factor. After following the home HEPA filter market for about 12 years, this comes off like alien technology. At the top it says N99 and down lower it says Leaf N95, typical sketchy self contradictory info.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Date: June 29, 2020 09:16AM
Filliam H. Muffman
I doubt they can get the filter to work that well in that small a form factor. After following the home HEPA filter market for about 12 years, this comes off like alien technology. At the top it says N99 and down lower it says Leaf N95, typical sketchy self contradictory info.

Yep I noticed that too. I wondered if they changed the design at some point, and forgot to update the ad copy.

Date: June 29, 2020 01:13PM
A few more signs that they will never ship a working product:

None of the "as seen on" sites reviewed the product. A few have republished the PR and some just copied/pasted the Indiegogo page. Not a single review unit sent out?

No test data for independent verification? Not even a few stats from the circuit board test?

It's a powered device. Where's the timeline that includes IEEE certification?

In fact, where in the FAQ does it mention any sort of certification at all?

Date: June 29, 2020 01:28PM
You're right about that; the only certification I can see on their page so far is that they mention that the HEPA filters are certified.

It would be helpful if they release more of the test results (they have one page of it posted there on their website).

Some interesting comments in that section of the page though. Looks like they do have a timeline of when the units will be shipped out, which suggests the production IS going.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 207
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018