advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Even if Trump loses, our state secrets are not safe
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: June 28, 2020 07:51PM
There are lots of angles to get him to talk.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Even if Trump loses, our state secrets are not safe
Posted by: GGD
Date: June 28, 2020 08:09PM
But how much does he actually know, since he's not very interested in intelligence briefings.

And once out of office he can be prosecuted for divulging classified info.

For all we know he might try to divulge internet conspiracy theories or snake oil as fact like he often does now.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: June 28, 2020 08:37PM
Plus, he would have absolutely zero or, at least, far fewer sycophants covering for him (if he did recall anything of significance).
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: June 28, 2020 09:01PM
As long as he is president, he can determine what is a state secret and what can be released. So while in office he can tell anyone whatever he wants and there is no recourse.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: RgrF
Date: June 28, 2020 09:24PM
Ombligo
As long as he is president, he can determine what is a state secret and what can be released. So while in office he can tell anyone whatever he wants and there is no recourse.

A systemic problem, Congress ceded much of it's constitutional and oversight authority to the Executive - this began decades ago and since there is no real line of responsibility for doing that - it will continue.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: June 28, 2020 09:51PM
....the P tape.....is still out there.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: June 28, 2020 10:59PM
NewtonMP2100
....the P tape.....is still out there.....

Whether it is or isn't, Putin and others are not going to just drop Trump since he's not president any more.
Posted by: sekker
Date: June 28, 2020 11:13PM
It's also his family members gaining valuable data every day.
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: June 29, 2020 08:20AM
He'll lie about what the secrets are to further his own cause.

"Aliens are real. I read the documents. I was able to contact them, and they told me I must be Emperor of the World, or else they'd partner with the Democrats to destroy America! Take up your guns and march on Washington!"
Posted by: Speedy
Date: June 29, 2020 08:25AM
Harder to get those secrets from him if he is in prison.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: pdq
Date: June 29, 2020 08:55AM
Speedy

Ah, but with his absolute power to issue pardons, before he leaves, he may pull a Nixonian pardon of himself for any past or future actions.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: June 29, 2020 09:03AM
Won’t affect his New York State problems.

pdq
Speedy

Ah, but with his absolute power to issue pardons, before he leaves, he may pull a Nixonian pardon of himself for any past or future actions.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: June 29, 2020 09:11AM
.....he got Barr to fired the AG.......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: June 29, 2020 10:32AM
As long as he doesn't get to take the NICE system server with him when he leaves.....

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: Ted King
Date: June 29, 2020 12:14PM
rjmacs
As long as he doesn't get to take the NICE system server with him when he leaves.....

If he loses, I think there's a good chance he is going to order some underlings (maybe a mafia boss-like "suggestion") to erase a whole bunch of records on what he has done as president. It will be interesting to see if they do it since that would clearly be breaking the law. Will they risk big legal trouble for him at the end?
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: June 29, 2020 12:24PM
Ted King
rjmacs

If he loses, I think there's a good chance he is going to order some underlings (maybe a mafia boss-like "suggestion") to erase a whole bunch of records on what he has done as president. It will be interesting to see if they do it since that would clearly be breaking the law. Will they risk big legal trouble for him at the end?

Not if the past offers any insight.

The chances that a former president will face criminal prosecution and imprisonment for conduct while in office remain desperately low, because the unwritten compact of American politics is that when you're done, you go away quietly and the system leaves you alone. Upsetting that particular precedent would signal a massive shift in our nation's stability, I think. Not sure whether that would be good or bad in the long run, but likely to be accompanied by violence.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: Ted King
Date: June 29, 2020 12:29PM
rjmacs
Ted King
rjmacs

Not if the past offers any insight.

The chances that a former president will face criminal prosecution and imprisonment for conduct while in office remain desperately low, because the unwritten compact of American politics is that when you're done, you go away quietly and the system leaves you alone. Upsetting that particular precedent would signal a massive shift in our nation's stability, I think. Not sure whether that would be good or bad in the long run, but likely to be accompanied by violence.

I was referring to the underlings that might erase files and destroy documents. I think they could very well face more legal jeopardy than a past president even if they were following orders of the past president.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: June 29, 2020 01:11PM
Ted King
I was referring to the underlings that might erase files and destroy documents. I think they could very well face more legal jeopardy than a past president even if they were following orders of the past president.

no legal jeopardy if they receive a pardon after doing so.

Honestly, it would not surprise me if the transition team arrives on January 20 to find every computer hard drive erased, and everyone involved holding a presidential pardon. This transition (assuming it takes place) is going to be extremely ugly.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 207
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018