advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
CNN: Russian bounty intel was included in Trump's daily briefing (And skipped it)
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: June 29, 2020 08:29PM
So Trump's basic defense comes down to "I ignored the briefing. I'm Incompetent."
This moron has Got To Go.

CNN: Russian bounty intel was included in Trump's daily briefing
[thehill.com]

Intelligence assessing that Russia had offered bounties to incentivize Taliban-linked militants to kill coalition troops in Afghanistan was included in one of President Trump’s daily briefings in the spring, CNN reported Monday, citing an unnamed source.

The official reportedly said the assessment was backed up by “several pieces of information” that supported the view that there was an effort by the Russian intelligence unit, the GRU, to pay bounties to kill U.S. soldiers, but added that there was also information that did not corroborate this view.

“This was a big deal. When it’s about U.S. troops you go after it 100 percent, with everything you got,” the official said.

Trump has denied being briefed on the matter, and CNN reported that he doesn't always read his President's Daily Brief from cover to cover.

The official told the news network the information was serious enough for the National Security Council staff to hold a meeting during the spring to discuss “possible response options.”

A White House spokesperson declined to comment to The Hill about the CNN report.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: CNN: Russian bounty intel was included in Trump's daily briefing (And skipped it)
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: June 29, 2020 08:59PM
and all of a sudden, my latest button doesn't seem so off-target after all...

price just bumped up a buck
Re: CNN: Russian bounty intel was included in Trump's daily briefing (And skipped it)
Posted by: PeterB
Date: June 29, 2020 09:09PM
I heard earlier tonight the McEnany (?) claim that there was supposedly conflicting intel, some of it going in favor of the Russian bounty, and some against, and that as a whole it didn't rise to the level of it going in front of the Great Orange Embarrassment. That is contradicted by the article you linked above, citing an unnamed source speaking to CNN. Who ya gonna believe?

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: June 29, 2020 09:14PM
They ran out of orange crayon that day so Trump didn’t take notes.
Posted by: pdq
Date: June 29, 2020 11:27PM
NYT also confirming the info was in the PDB, with more specificity:

...the intelligence was included months ago in Mr. Trump’s President’s Daily Brief document...One of the officials said the item appeared in Mr. Trump’s brief in late February; the other cited Feb. 27, specifically.

... The White House press secretary, Kayleigh McEnany, did not answer when pressed by reporters on Monday whether the intelligence was included in the written President’s Daily Brief, and the National Security Council spokesman pointed to her comments when asked later about the February written briefing.

... Lawmakers demanded to see the underlying material for themselves.

“This is a time to focus on the two things Congress should be asking and looking at: No. 1, who knew what, when, and did the commander in chief know? And if not, how the hell not?” said Senator Ben Sasse, Republican of Nebraska and a member of the Senate Intelligence Committee.

The PDB, I’m sure, is classified. But all that folks like Sasse need to see is a copy of the Feb 27 PDB. Ignorance of the contents of that PDB, prepared specifically for the commander in chief, is no defense for Trump

Finally, FWIW, the byline shows the NYT has three Pulitzer-Prize-winning reporters working on this story. They’re putting a lot on the line.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: June 29, 2020 11:51PM
Otoh, would you want him to know? Can the intelligence services deal with it in the absence of a directive from potus?
Posted by: pdq
Date: June 29, 2020 11:52PM
Sen. Cornyn (R-TX) comes to Trump’s rescue with low expectations:

Cornyn also defended Trump over his assertion that he was never briefed on the intelligence assessment, adding: “I think the president can’t single-handedly remember everything, I’m sure that he’s briefed on. But the intelligence officials are familiar with it, and briefed him.”

Sir, it looks like Putin is paying the Taliban to kill our troops in Afghanistan.

Mm? Say, did you see the TV ratings on that town hall I did?
Posted by: GGD
Date: June 30, 2020 12:04AM
pdq
Sen. Cornyn (R-TX) comes to Trump’s rescue with low expectations:

Cornyn also defended Trump over his assertion that he was never briefed on the intelligence assessment, adding: “I think the president can’t single-handedly remember everything, I’m sure that he’s briefed on. But the intelligence officials are familiar with it, and briefed him.”

Sir, it looks like Putin is paying the Taliban to kill our troops in Afghanistan.

Mm? Say, did you see the TV ratings on that town hall I did?

I'm sure he'll remind us that at the end of Feb his mind was 100% preoccupied with thinking of ways to ignore COVID19.
Posted by: bfd
Date: June 30, 2020 12:13AM
If, as a president, you're briefed on the possibility that the Russians are paying the Taliban bounties for American troops … and you ignore it … then deny you ever knew about it … that's a new level of incompetence, even for this sad-sack administration.

Can't wait to hear what the military - present or past – has to say about this.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: June 30, 2020 12:28AM
Can't wait to hear what the military - present or past – has to say about this.

They won't necessarily say much but if you listen closely you may hear the sound of their votes fleeing the debacle that is this President and his maladministration of office.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: June 30, 2020 05:09AM
The CIA director has issued a statement saying that her agency is working on this "problem" and that they're pissed it got leaked to the media.

Ya know why stuff gets leaked so much now, Gina? It's because there is no way for whistleblowers to go to Congress now and report what they know without endangering their jobs and more. Trump has made sure of that. So the only way left to protect the country is to leak extremely sensitive intelligence information directly to the media.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: June 30, 2020 06:09AM
Pelosi says they may have intentionally not told Trump because they were worried he'd tell Putin the US knew and was planning retaliation.

If this is true, he needs to be removed from office today.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: June 30, 2020 11:59AM
Nancy has a very nice way of turning that against him. Very nice!

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 354
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018