advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
What if Trump uses the pandemic to cancel Nov elections?
Posted by: lost in space
Date: June 30, 2020 01:08PM
It could happen. Let the pandemic run free, then cancel. I don't think he has the foresight or smarts to have hatched such a scheme, but he sure has orcs on his side that could.
What do you think?

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: What if Trump uses the pandemic to cancel Nov elections?
Posted by: hal
Date: June 30, 2020 01:11PM
elections are state run
Posted by: graylocks
Date: June 30, 2020 01:38PM
the president does not have the power to cancel an election.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: June 30, 2020 01:47PM
There is nothing in the constitution that allows for the delay of the presidential election.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: June 30, 2020 02:01PM
What IS being done is a long standing and deliberate attempt at the state levels to degrade the election system in areas that vote for the Democratic party. The current posturing about mail in voting is part and parcel of that. The destruction of the voting rights commission, as well as the disastrous primary voting in southern states where race-based voter suppression, etc... It's been an ugly decade for voting rights and it's getting worse leading up to the November election.

[en.wikipedia.org]
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: June 30, 2020 02:36PM
states would ignore him and hold elections anyway...

keep in mind those will be on a "as best they can" basis considering all the COVID craziness.
Posted by: samintx
Date: June 30, 2020 03:06PM
His power doesn’t go THAT far.
Posted by: vision63
Date: June 30, 2020 03:44PM
cbelt3
What IS being done is a long standing and deliberate attempt at the state levels to degrade the election system in areas that vote for the Democratic party. The current posturing about mail in voting is part and parcel of that. The destruction of the voting rights commission, as well as the disastrous primary voting in southern states where race-based voter suppression, etc... It's been an ugly decade for voting rights and it's getting worse leading up to the November election.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Yep. That's why winning the state legislatures is so crucial, especially in this census year.
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: June 30, 2020 03:54PM
While he may not have the explicit power, my guess is, through his cronies and sycophants and friendly courts he could functionally delay the election if he was bound and determined to.

But it could very likely be a pyrrhic ’victory’ at best, gaining him little or nothing in the end.

I agree with the estimations that the working plan is for a sham election, rife with suppression and gross fraud.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: June 30, 2020 04:12PM
I think he and Barr are much more likely to try to undermine the results (in conjunction with GOP state officials) in individual states, throwing the legitimacy of the election into question, and setting the president up to claim the results are corrupted and illegitimate.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: Ted King
Date: June 30, 2020 04:51PM
rjmacs
I think he and Barr are much more likely to try to undermine the results (in conjunction with GOP state officials) in individual states, throwing the legitimacy of the election into question, and setting the president up to claim the results are corrupted and illegitimate.

That's pretty much what I'm thinking at this point. It's why I think a huge double digit win by Biden would be really beneficial. The bigger Biden wins, the less likely the negative consequences of an almost inevitable "throwing the legitimacy of the election" gambit on the part of Trump and Barr and the rest of Trump's gang.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: June 30, 2020 05:21PM
It's starting to look more and more like a tsunami is coming at the entire GOP ticket. If that occurs, the entire of the first two years of the next Presidency will be consumed with righting the ship.

It's highly doubtful they will, not that soon.
Posted by: PeterB
Date: June 30, 2020 05:45PM
Ted King
rjmacs

That's pretty much what I'm thinking at this point. It's why I think a huge double digit win by Biden would be really beneficial. The bigger Biden wins, the less likely the negative consequences of an almost inevitable "throwing the legitimacy of the election" gambit on the part of Trump and Barr and the rest of Trump's gang.

I'm thinking this too. Of course, the moron could put out another "Executive Order" to postpone the election, the constitutionality of which would then have to be debated in the courts...

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: June 30, 2020 06:07PM
RgrF

There are things that will never be fixed. The brain drain of career diplomats, along with the scientists at the CDC and EPA have moved on and will not return. It will be hard to find replacements because those individuals know that another Trump can close them down again.

And there will be another Trump - except the next one will not be clumsy oaf that this one is. That person will be far more dangerous.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: RgrF
Date: June 30, 2020 07:01PM
Ombligo
RgrF

There are things that will never be fixed. The brain drain of career diplomats, along with the scientists at the CDC and EPA have moved on and will not return. It will be hard to find replacements because those individuals know that another Trump can close them down again.

And there will be another Trump - except the next one will not be clumsy oaf that this one is. That person will be far more dangerous.

To that point check out The Fifth Risk a well written excellent read about internal government agency workings and procedures that have been gutted under Trump.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: June 30, 2020 08:12PM
Ombligo
There is nothing in the constitution that allows for the delay of the presidential election.

And a President MUST be decided and sworn in by a certain date. There are no exceptions or excuses allowed. That date thing came up in 2000. Pretty sure Congress can decide if the voters don't by the due date.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Posted by: $tevie
Date: June 30, 2020 09:14PM
Trump's term ends on January 20th regardless of whether an election is held. That's in the Constitution. That means he and Pence must leave. The Speaker of the House becomes President. But since there will have been no elections, there will be no Congresspeople, so the President Pro Tempore of the Senate will become President. So the 15 remaining Senators will basically choose the President when the President Pro Tempore is picked. I can't see all those hundreds of Republican politicians being willing to lose their seats by default after wasting four years sucking up to Trump.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2020 09:15PM by $tevie.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: July 01, 2020 10:11AM
$tevie
Trump's term ends on January 20th regardless of whether an election is held. That's in the Constitution. That means he and Pence must leave. The Speaker of the House becomes President. But since there will have been no elections, there will be no Congresspeople, so the President Pro Tempore of the Senate will become President. So the 15 remaining Senators will basically choose the President when the President Pro Tempore is picked. I can't see all those hundreds of Republican politicians being willing to lose their seats by default after wasting four years sucking up to Trump.

I think there will still be 65 sitting senators after this fall's elections, with Democrats holding a 35-30 majority. This could change if Biden chooses a sitting senator as his VP, but only by one.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Date: July 01, 2020 12:32PM
$tevie

If there are no elections, the speaker won't be elected and there will be no speaker - right?

There is NO WAY we get this far... god, I hope not...
Posted by: vision63
Date: July 01, 2020 12:40PM
hal
$tevie

If there are no elections, the speaker won't be elected and there will be no speaker - right?

There is NO WAY we get this far... god, I hope not...

There would be no Mitch but there would be a Schumer. Thats great insight $tevie
Date: July 01, 2020 05:08PM
oy - I'm having reading comprehension issues these days...
Posted by: $tevie
Date: July 01, 2020 07:11PM
hal
oy - I'm having reading comprehension issues these days...
I'm having math issues. rjmacs had to clean up for me.

Posted by: Ca Bob
Date: July 02, 2020 01:00AM
If Trump tries to call off the November elections, the red states can follow him if they choose, but the blue states will have their elections and report their electoral votes. Maybe the final vote will be 195 to zero. But seriously, it's not going to happen. Even a few Republican senators would object to the end of American republican government.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 193
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020